[0.16.16] Issue with map editor

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
kostermw
Inserter
Inserter

[0.16.16] Issue with map editor

Post by kostermw »

I saved a game and converted it to a map (it becomes a scenario). Next I loaded the converted save game in the map editor and made changes, and saved the changed map (as a user scenario).

Now when I play the saved scenario, then items that were changed in the map editor haven't changed. Also tiles I added are not present. The map look exactly like the map I started with. However if I load the scenario in the map editor, all changes are still there. What am I doing wrong?

B.t.w. I am on steam. Does it has to do with sync?

eMKa

QGamer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.16.16] Issue with map editor

Post by QGamer »

The map info (tiles, entities, etc.) in your savegames is independent of the map info in the scenarios. Thus, changing something in the map editor won't change any existing saves. It will only affect new savegames created after the changes were done. If you create a new savegame from the scenario you made, it should contain your changes.

I think this is intended, as it could potentially cause errors for your savegame if the map was changed.
"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

QGamer wrote:The map info (tiles, entities, etc.) in your savegames is independent of the map info in the scenarios. Thus, changing something in the map editor won't change any existing saves. It will only affect new savegames created after the changes were done. If you create a new savegame from the scenario you made, it should contain your changes.

I think this is intended, as it could potentially cause errors for your savegame if the map was changed.
You're correct on the first part. As to why: we just haven't gotten around to proper "edit an existing map" support in the map editor yet.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

kostermw
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kostermw »

QGamer wrote:The map info (tiles, entities, etc.) in your savegames is independent of the map info in the scenarios. Thus, changing something in the map editor won't change any existing saves. It will only affect new savegames created after the changes were done. If you create a new savegame from the scenario you made, it should contain your changes.

I understand that when you save a map from the map editor, it is not a "saved game" but becomes a user-scenario instead. This makes sense. But when I play that saved user-scenario (play->scenario's, and then select the user scenario from the bottom part, and then press the "create" button) I expect it will use the map info as stored in that scenario.

It did not help to immediately save the "created scenario" as a game and reload it (it still doesn't have the changes).

So, just to test things I decided to load the converted save-game in the map editor again, and then use the "regenerate map" option. Next when I save this (a scenario), and create it (as I described before) it DOES have the map changed. So there's something else going on here ...

I have done map2scenario conversions in the past and it worked OK. Any changes I made in the map editor were incorporated when I "create" the scenario. And now in 0.16.x it does not work anymore. So I still believe there is an issue with the Map Editor.

I have to note that the saved game I used has outlived multiple factorio versions. It was saved in 0.15.x (but also in earlier versions), and loaded into 0.16.x before converted with map2scenario

kostermw
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kostermw »

Rseding91 wrote:

You're correct on the first part. As to why: we just haven't gotten around to proper "edit an existing map" support in the map editor yet.
Sorry but I just don't fully understand what you are trying to say. As far as I understand it goes like this;
-you save a game
-convert the saved game with map2scenario
-load the scenario in the mapeditor
-make changes to the map
-save the map (actually a scenario)
-play the saved (user)scenario (using create) with the changes you just made

Correct?
And then you may expect that the changes you made in the map editor are incorporated. Right?
Well, thy are not ...

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

kostermw wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:

Sorry but I just don't fully understand what you are trying to say. As far as I understand it goes like this;
-you save a game
-convert the saved game with map2scenario
-load the scenario in the mapeditor
-make changes to the map
-save the map (actually a scenario)
-play the saved (user)scenario (using create) with the changes you just made

Correct?
And then you may expect that the changes you made in the map editor are incorporated. Right?
Well, thy are not ...
Can you record a video of you doing this process because it works perfectly for me.

kostermw
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kostermw »

While preparing a video I paid extra attention as to what was happening. It seems it is not an issue with the editing and saving of the map editor. It is while loading the scenario. It seems the map editor loads the first scenario from the list of available scenarios

I demonstrate this in a video;
https://youtu.be/Dp8W7_WrHt8

-First I load the game _016_20, and walk a bit around (so you can see how the current game looks like
-I save the game as _016_21
-quit, and exit
-convert map to scenario _016_21
-restart factorio, and load the newly created scenario
-but when moving around I see stuff is already missing (had not noticed this when I wrote my previous post).
-closer inspection reveals it is the wrong scenario -> this map is from _V015_aNewBegin25

I did not notice this earlier, because when I moved from _015 to _016 there were only minor changes between the scenarios. But recently I made quite a few edits and now it became apparent that the wrong scenario is loaded in the map editor.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I can't reproduce what you're showing. When I load any scenario in the map editor it's always the one I have selected.

Can you upload your mod(s) and the scenarios folder somewhere?

kostermw
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kostermw »

Uploaded to:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

My files are (Windows 10) in:
C:\Users\koste\AppData\Roaming\Factorio\...

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Ok, I found what was wrong. The --map2scenario option wasn't handling converting save files created from a previous scenario correctly.

It's now fixed for the next version of 0.16.

kostermw
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kostermw »

Rseding91 wrote:It's now fixed for the next version of 0.16.
Amazing!
This team is absolutely biased for action.

kostermw
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.16.21] Resolved Issue with map editor

Post by kostermw »

It is not only fixed, but we can now also load a saved game directly into the editor. And after editing play it.
That's more than I could ask for. So happy!

There seems, however to be a glitch ...

If you load a saved game in the editor, and you make changes and then select "save and play" ... and then after playing a bit save the game again ... exit the editor ...
then quit the game ... next time factorio is started, it seems to synchronise with the "save and play" version from the cloud or something.
(I lost my changes performed in play mode, but the changes made in the editor were retained though).

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”