[MOD 0.10.0] Variant Resource Spawning v0.0.2

Topics and discussion about specific mods
kolli
Inserter
Inserter

[MOD 0.10.0] Variant Resource Spawning v0.0.2

Post by kolli »

As previously discussed resources being abundant and close by discourages exploring and the use of trains. This mod tries to address this issue by overriding the default spawning of resources.

The map is divided into regions of 8x8 chunks. Each region only contains a single type of resource but can have multiple patches of that resource. The autoplace controls in the map generation gui are left as-is for compabilty reasons, but doesn't do anything. Instead you have to edit config.lua to change settings.
config.lua
Close to starting area small patches of iron, copper, coal and stone are provided to get you started. This is a kind of proof-of-concept version, I've haven't actually done any real playtesting yet. Please play around with the settings in config.lua and post your balance opinions.

pros:
  • resources are more spread out
  • multiple patches of same resource spawn together
cons:
  • not balanced (yet)
  • each resource patch restricted to a single chunk
  • non-deterministic, will probably break multiplayer
You might find my Automatic Rail Laying Machine mod useful for building railroads to the far away mining outposts.

Version history:
v0.0.2:
Fixed a bug that caused biter-spawners to be neutral instead of enemy. Thanks to ThePear for the bug report.

v0.0.1:
Initial release

Download links (v0.0.2):
filedropper
google drive
Last edited by kolli on Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tardan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.10.0] Variant Resource Spawning v0.0.1

Post by Tardan »

cool. my favourite is less ore fields (motivate to build a many trains), but very rich fields (not to build every hour new mining outposts).

someone have tried to calculate how much ressource needed for parts of the tech trees? than it is easier to balance with the use of the Resource-Monitor-Mod v0.3.0 https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=2855

Rensiur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rensiur »

A very nice idea, would it be possible to switch the single ores to a more general concept that just sucks up all ore types from different Modifications?

I have no clue if that is even possible, otherwise it would be necessary to eventually (after the fine tuning) code in the mod-ores - or folks like Bobbingabout might copy the idea.

ThaPear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ThaPear »

I like it. I've been playing on a save using this and it's a lot more fun and challenging.

The only issue is that biter spawners are created in the neutral force, which I only found out after quite some time.
I created a script to correct the problem in my save, but it's still an issue. :)

Nice work though.

kolli
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kolli »

ThaPear wrote:biter spawners are created in the neutral force
oops, fix'd. thanks.

Riversand
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.10.0] Variant Resource Spawning v0.0.2

Post by Riversand »

I have encountered a major problem so far, in that the only oil i have found is several Km out from my base... I upped the Oil spawn rates. Oil is an essential resource due to the need for Batteries, which requires sulfer. Batteries are needed in the level 3 Science packs.

Code: Select all

["crude-oil"]={
		type="entity",
		probability=8,
		spawns_per_region={min=2,max=10},
		size={min=1,max=8},
		richness=100000

kolli
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kolli »

Riversand wrote:the only oil i have found is several Km out from my base...
Thanks, I'll consider that. I wanted oil to be rare, but I might have overdone it. However I think you got really unlucky, on average there should be one or two oil regions within one km from starting area.

Riversand
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Riversand »

The oil was rare enough that i found 1 spawn of my upped level about 1.5-2 km south of my base roughly... at least... it's 3 pools that are scattered far from eachother too... it's about a KM away from the nearest rail i have to my Iron. I even had the oil marked as 'normal 'spawn rate. I would suggest having a single 200-300% pool pool of it in the spawn location... it will provide a trickle, once they tap it out.

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

Personally, I like starting without any coal. It forces me to explore and expand before being able to continue up the tech tree. Perhaps the config file should also contain a table with starting resources?

Riversand
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Riversand »

Do you mean without oil? Coal is almost a must to start with, for the burner machines.

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

... yes, I do. This is what happens when you write a comments instead of going to bed. :)

goertzenator
Inserter
Inserter

Post by goertzenator »

This is exactly the mod I have been looking for, thank you! It's great to drive for minutes at a time and not run into a biter base. This is a whole new factorio.

For you newcomers, here is a screenshot of what this mod does to your map. I started near small patches of coal, stone, iron and copper and setup a basic red/green research facility. As soon as I researched automobiles I went for a couple of good drives through the wilderness. When this shot was taken I had just discovered my first oil patches (5 tiny pink dots in the north west corner). I guess its time to start putting in some rail lines.
Attachments
variant resource spawning.jpg
variant resource spawning.jpg (196.3 KiB) Viewed 13821 times

kasper747
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kasper747 »

The mod seems not to work in 10.0, 10.1 and 10.2. However works in 10.0
Getting Error:
data.lua:1: attempt to index field 'resource' (a nil value)

I find the mod realy interesting. Would like if some one can help me with the error.

kolli
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kolli »

kasper747 wrote:data.lua:1: attempt to index field 'resource' (a nil value)
Is base mod enabled?

kasper747
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kasper747 »

kolli wrote:
kasper747 wrote:data.lua:1: attempt to index field 'resource' (a nil value)
Is base mod enabled?
Not, it was not :)
Toggling ir on solved the problem. Thanks!

Return to “Mods”