Manually create module requests on existing machines

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Manually create module requests on existing machines

Post by TuckJohn »

As it is now, you cannot tell your robots to place moduals in machines for you, unless you have a blueprint with moduals in it.

Short and simple suggestions: Ctrl+Shift+LMB on a machine with a modual in your hand should tell your robots to fill them up. This would make it really easy to put moduals in dense machine setups much easier, namely oil and mining setups.
Last edited by ickputzdirwech on Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed title
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

Mimp
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Module Ghosts in Assembling machines.

Post by Mimp »

TL;DR
We should be able to manually assign modules to assembly machines as ghosts without needing blueprints.

Placing ghosts of modules shouldn't be restricted to blueprints.
  • If we were able to [middle +, shift+, regular?] click on the module slot and select an appropriate module, (based on the current recipe.) Even if the module isn't available in our inventory we should be able to assign it to the assembler like a recipe.
  • It would also be nice to be able to have the module choices copy and paste with the other assembler settings.
Provide strong options that encourage new designs.
I feel like this would be a QOL change that would provide players another option to build their own designs rather than just copying blueprints from the Internet. By allowing us to place the intended module design for later we can complete the build by hand. We can do it before the modules are available, and not need to revisit that build again later to finish it. Instead our construction bots can help us out when/as the modules are built.

As it is now, if you lack the modules on hand or in the network, you can't add them as ghosts in existing machines unless you use blueprints. On the other hand, the ability to remove the ghost modules by hand from blueprinted designs already exists.

whitecold
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Module Ghosts in Assembling machines.

Post by whitecold »

impetus maximus wrote:read here
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-191
Can you tell me where in that blog post Twinsen talks about modules? Especially with the radar view, I'd be very much in favor being able to requests modules at the other end of my factory.

Also, existing modules should be slated to be removed when you ghost-insert new ones, to be able to upgrade your modules once you can afford to do so.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

read "New toolbar proposal"

whitecold
Inserter
Inserter

Post by whitecold »

impetus maximus wrote:read "New toolbar proposal"
I only see talk about ways to place ghosts without actually having the item, but I don't see any mention of ghosting modules to existing assemblers. Searching for module comes up empty for me.

Mimp
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mimp »

whitecold wrote:
impetus maximus wrote:read "New toolbar proposal"
I only see talk about ways to place ghosts without actually having the item, but I don't see any mention of ghosting modules to existing assemblers. Searching for module comes up empty for me.
That's what I was thinking when I read impetus maximus's reply as well.

To be clear, I want the ability to ghost an assembler and then ghost modules into it.

If it's before or after the rewrite or if I have the item or not is not really a concern of mine.

alefu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by alefu »

I would like this too. At the moment we can cancel an open request for bots to put modules into an assembler/furnace, but there is no way to logistically request bots to put modules into an existing machine.

Edit: Maybe we could use middle click (aka the button to reserve slots for a specific item) to assign a module to an empty module slot. It could then be displayed transperently?

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Manually create module requests on existing machines

Post by ickputzdirwech »

[ick] Merged two posts about manually creating module request proxies and changed the title in an attempt to make it more comprehensible
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Manually create module requests on existing machines

Post by blazespinnaker »

OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”