Mega steam engine setup in .16

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
bryreichle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Mega steam engine setup in .16

Post by bryreichle »

I wanted to see if its possible to run massive steam engine power plants to produce around 100 GW+ of power without the masive fps loss. I wanted to see if any one has done this before I spend the resources. I don't want to have to be stick with solar power for mega bases and I would also like to not use nuclear if I don't have too.

roothorick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Mega steam engine setup in .16

Post by roothorick »

Out of curiosity, why not nuclear?

ASDFGerte
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ASDFGerte »

There is no alternative to solar for megabases. What you can do however (see Xterminator), is build nuclear or steam, deactivate all involved entities and produce equivalent power with an electric energy interface. Assuming you will use oil products as fuel, you can calculate what you would produce, stop using the related fields and refineries and send dummy trains to make up for the rail utilization.

UPS wise, i would assume it is Solar > Nuclear > Steam (meaning solar is the best, as in, least UPS cost). Resource cost is irrelevant for megabases, all prices except for module3 is negligible and even those are available by the thousands.
Last edited by ASDFGerte on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

if it's FPS not UPS that is giving you trouble, disable smoke in options / graphics.
lots of smoke/steam on the screen is pretty hard on FPS.

bryreichle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bryreichle »

roothorick wrote:Out of curiosity, why not nuclear?
Just would like the idea of a massive steam engine power plant. I have nothing against nuclear.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

if you want it compact you could use steam turbines with standard boilers like this.
46 boilers (please note the 3 offshore pumps) putting out about 80MW.
83MW but it dips because the steam can't quite keep up under 100% load.
high.end.steam.png
high.end.steam.png (572.37 KiB) Viewed 5457 times
blueprint string
otherwise just use two steam engines per boiler.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

When someone says "100GW", they have no intention of seeing UPS ever again. Even a 10GW base is very intense for an average computer. At this point players aren't playing the Factorio that you or I know anymore. They're instead playing a vicious CPU efficiency game to squeeze the most rockets out of their nitrogen cooled campus mainframe.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

bobucles wrote:
When someone says "100GW", they have no intention of seeing UPS ever again. Even a 10GW base is very intense for an average computer. At this point players aren't playing the Factorio that you or I know anymore. They're instead playing a vicious CPU efficiency game to squeeze the most rockets out of their nitrogen cooled campus mainframe.
Metagaming, Minimaxing and Theorycrafting ftw.

PurpleGreen
Inserter
Inserter

Post by PurpleGreen »

bobucles wrote:
OR .... they use mods.....

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Well 100GW is enough for something like 10k/science per minute (probably more). That is way more than my pc can handle at decent fps.

Nefrums
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nefrums »

running the boilers of rocket fuel would probably be better for ups as the fuel lasts 30 times longer so less inserter interactions is needed. It would also be easier to use bots to deliver the fuel to the boilers.

Return to “Gameplay Help”