Sort inventory Key

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Poiasdope
Inserter
Inserter

Sort inventory Key

Post by Poiasdope »

How about a key that sorts the inventory? Or making the inventory be sorted all the time by putting the item in the right place everytime we picked up an item.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Sort inventory Key

Post by slpwnd »

Options -> Other -> Always keep player main inventory sorted
Quickbar can't be kept sorted at the moment - we thought it would be confusing.

Poiasdope
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Poiasdope »

Thanks! Didn't know about that either! ^^"
Will do my research before posting more suggestions! :D

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

It is strange, this option is turned on by default.

Poiasdope
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Poiasdope »

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Interesting. Is this something you can reproduce ?

zlosynus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zlosynus »

slpwnd wrote:Interesting. Is this something you can reproduce ?
This is happening to me as well. Try to take some iron and alternate it with taking steel, this happens. I believe you have just some partial (non-linear) order on items (using some numbers??) and you just have iron and steel being equal (the same number?).

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

True. They have the same odering string in the json files. Will be fixed in 0.2.8. This is where copy & paste gets you :D

DragonPox90210
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DragonPox90210 »

Is there a possibility of a "sort chest" option? I have a nice sorted inventory but my chests are a total mess :P

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

I'd personally prefer to sort my inventory on-demand, rather than have it be done for me continuously; or else auto-sort only when something is picked up/crafted. With the current implementation, it's a little hard to subdivide a stack into a quarter-stack (split the full stack, drop the half-stack in your hand into an empty slot, and split that; autosorting re-merges the half-stack as soon as you drop it) using inventory alone.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Narc wrote:I'd personally prefer to sort my inventory on-demand, rather than have it be done for me continuously; or else auto-sort only when something is picked up/crafted. With the current implementation, it's a little hard to subdivide a stack into a quarter-stack (split the full stack, drop the half-stack in your hand into an empty slot, and split that; autosorting re-merges the half-stack as soon as you drop it) using inventory alone.
Yes, I hate this too, it is the price for the autosorting, but you can use the quick inventory for that.
Or we could add few inventory slots that will not sort so you can use these to do stfuff like this ...

Tolos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tolos »

Since this is a suggestion and I haven't seen anything of this sort implemented, I'll necro this thread.

I'll add that I would love this kind of on-demand sorting (via hot-key middle mouse click?).

The way I see this working, anything that is not a container which you can "set a filter" (trains, hot-bar) can be sorted. It should also only auto sort the window which your mouse pointer is hovering over. If you need an example, look into the "Inventory Tweaks" mod for Minecraft. That is probably the perfect example of what I'd like to see implemented. Middle click chest/inventory and it'll auto sort whichever your mouse is hovering over.

The rules the game currently uses to sort is perfectly fine, we just need a hotkey setup in order to perform this when we'd like. The best thing would be the ability to auto sort any chest or inventory of the car/tank if and when we want.

I've played probably around 200+ hours and countless restarts. There has never been a game session that I've not thought about and wished we had this feature!

katyal
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by katyal »

2 year old thread that might be a new record lol, considering the last person to post before you is one of the devs I'm not sure if it will do much good.

I would like to second the idea of a key we could bind to sort the inventory, or atleast the possiblity to reserve slots like we do on train wagons

Tolos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tolos »

Well since I wasn't around here in 2013, and this still seems relevant, I figured I would necro vs recreating the same suggestion.

Hopefully the devs will code in something like this eventually is all I can hope for.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”