My wishes for Mod Portal 2.0

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

My wishes for Mod Portal 2.0

Post by Mooncat »

I hope it is not too late.
  • "My mods" - a quick way to see all of the mods made by me
  • Notifications for new messages - not just email notification, but also "!" signs on the "My mods" button and the mods.
  • "My posts" - something like "View your posts" on this forum. Useful for following posts that are not in my mods.
  • Ability to close bug reports
  • Ability to archive mods - something like deletion, but people can still download the mod manually for testing purpose. Auto download won't work anymore. The description page is still there to tell people why the mod is archived. Probably also a link to redirect people to the new mod.
  • Ability to use URL to post mod images - useful if the images are already on other websites e.g. imgur.
  • Ability to preview edit
  • Better editing tools

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: My wishes for Mod Portal 2.0

Post by Optera »

In addition to those I'd also like to see
  • automatically promote authors to moderators for the threads attached to a mod
  • allow multiple category tags
    a hand full of mods seem to already have managed to do that
  • allow mod renaming
  • fully support html as intended by markdown standard
    embed pictures with size attribute, use font styles, create tables asf
  • link to forum profile for picture instead of a 3rd party service
  • add link to pm someone using the forum
  • filter by factorio version
  • get rating system working and add a top rated sorting
  • change most downloaded to only count downloads of selected factorio version(s)
    filters out mods no longer used or included in base game

ThorsDragon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ThorsDragon »

These sound nice! :)

deer_buster
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deer_buster »

• Subscribing to mod authors, so that you are notified of when new things come out, or when updates are made, even while (gasp) away from the game
  • Ability to package several mods together (e.g. All of Bob's mods, or ArchAngel's, et.al.)
  • Maybe a github interface for each mod, so that issues/feature requests, etc. can be handled there??

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Ability to only update one mod at a time (in game) instead of being forced to update all that have an available update.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Make stable and experimental flags for mods (and for auto download).

QuantumForce
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by QuantumForce »

Automatically enable/download dependencies of a mod (recursively).

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

My wishes are for it to actually exist.

ElectroBot
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ElectroBot »

I agree with quite a few of these ideas, but especially with the idea of filtering mods based on version.

Bassad
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bassad »

If I may, I would also like to add one small addition - a working mod portal, yeah that would be nice.

Currently, the mod portal is not accesiable for me, because it fails to load all the time (be it in-game or the website)
It would be really nice if the devs get onto it after 0.16 gets stable release, because the mod portal really needs some love and already some great ideas were posted

Coppermine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Coppermine »

There are requests above for archiving / renaming mods. I think the most useful form of this feature would be to mark a mod as replaced (superseded) by another mod. This would automatically migrate users from the old mod to the new one. This allows for renaming, but it also allows for transfer of mod ownership to a new developer, which is very important. Currently discovery of a mod ownership change is almost impossible for users.

We may also need some sort of archiving for mods that have become meaningless, but at least for pre-1.0 Factorio that's not very important, because unsupported mods automatically become inapplicable when the next incompatible version comes out. Of course, it would be nice to have a way to make them not show up in search results by default.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Parse changelog.txt into a changelog tab.

battlefieldaces
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by battlefieldaces »

One of the things that would greatly benefit the mod portal is the removal of the login requirement. It does not make sense to have to log in just to download a mod.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

battlefieldaces wrote:One of the things that would greatly benefit the mod portal is the removal of the login requirement. It does not make sense to have to log in just to download a mod.
You can download any mod direct in game.

battlefieldaces
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

darkfrei wrote:You can download any mod direct in game.
You are still asked to log in. What is the point of using the game's built in system if you face the same issue you face with a browser?

Jürgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jürgen Erhard »

My wish: learn from all the package systems in existence. I'm partial to Debian's myself (Debian user since '96 ;-)) but frankly, lots of this has been solved. For ages. No need to reinvent the wheel. Again.

dgw
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by dgw »

battlefieldaces wrote:
darkfrei wrote:You can download any mod direct in game.
You are still asked to log in. What is the point of using the game's built in system if you face the same issue you face with a browser?
The login requirement is essentially a hedge against piracy. Factorio is DRM-free, so pirating the game is technically trivial. Locking mod downloads to account holders means only people who bought the game can (easily) download mods.

Don't have a link handy, but I remember Wube staff talking about that.

battlefieldaces
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

dgw wrote: The login requirement is essentially a hedge against piracy. Factorio is DRM-free, so pirating the game is technically trivial. Locking mod downloads to account holders means only people who bought the game can (easily) download mods.

Actually that makes things even more scandalous since you are putting free content (the mods) behind a paywall (the game). It's like saying you can't get a Ferrari logo key chain because you don't own a Ferrari.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

battlefieldaces wrote:
dgw wrote: The login requirement is essentially a hedge against piracy. Factorio is DRM-free, so pirating the game is technically trivial. Locking mod downloads to account holders means only people who bought the game can (easily) download mods.

Actually that makes things even more scandalous since you are putting free content (the mods) behind a paywall (the game). It's like saying you can't get a Ferrari logo key chain because you don't own a Ferrari.
I'm not really sure I understand. Game itself is not free so why do you consider mods for it free?
You pay for the game and you get access to all the mods as part of the deal. You have no use for the mods without buying the game.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

It would be nice if you could make these kinds of mod lists ordered by author accessible from an api endpoint: https://mods.factorio.com/user/bilka
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”