Factorio Lag Killer

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Saltana
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Factorio Lag Killer

Post by Saltana »

I think rather a lot of players would like to see certain aspects of the game improved, such as more intelligent logistic bots. These requests are typically rejected as they would decrease UPS performance. This got me thinking- what if the game had two sets of behaviours, one for smaller bases and one optimised for performance? If the game started to drop below 50 ups it could swap to the optimised set.

Just a thought, try not to crucify me too vigorously :D

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Factorio Lag Killer

Post by Zavian »

Every example of needing smarter bots i've seen is a result of poor design. Design your base so that you are using the bot behaviours, rather than needing different behaviours.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Yes. Don't make U-sized logistics networks. Don't have production 20 miles away from consumption. Use buffer chests. Have enough roboports. If you design it right, better pathfinding wouldn't be needed.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

The bots idea... I don't agree with, sorry :?
The idea of adjusting performance, however, would be quite good late game, due to the high power involved.
Gonna start playing again with 0.16 build.
That's all.

userasd
Inserter
Inserter

Post by userasd »

Jap2.0 wrote:Yes. Don't make U-sized logistics networks. Don't have production 20 miles away from consumption. Use buffer chests. Have enough roboports. If you design it right, better pathfinding wouldn't be needed.
What is a U-sized logistics networks ?

batorfly
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by batorfly »

I'd like to see someday RTS style Modification for factorio. Maybe even some kind of RTS official expansion. But in this RTS style-thing wee need more features to manage large bot networks. We don't need heavy, comlicated AI-thing for bots. Just little things: filters for storage chests, ability to bind bots to specific roboport, or roboports (i think this feature can be UPS friendly? Maybe if binded bots just ignore the existence of other roboports), maybe also filters for bots, or next tier: filter bot, so you can have bot fleet only for iron plates, another fleet only for copper plates etc.) Of course bots nerfs and belts buffs are necessary to make this work, because in current state such features may lead to the definitive death of belts after bot research.

But whatever, devs have ATM too much work to do to even think about such things. So i just shut the fu** up. So much douchebags think that their idea is the best and most important in the world, so dev's should implement that ASAP, i don't wanna be like them :D

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

userasd wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:Yes. Don't make U-sized logistics networks. Don't have production 20 miles away from consumption. Use buffer chests. Have enough roboports. If you design it right, better pathfinding wouldn't be needed.
When you have roboports in a shape so that when robots try to go from one side to the other, they run out of power and go back to where they came from to charge, and get stuck in a loop.

TheRaph
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheRaph »

userasd wrote:
That is a logistic network in shape of an "U".
Maybe you have you're base on bottom and on left side a flank to iron deposit and on right side a flank up to copper deposit.
In between are some alien bases.

Now a bot try to go from copper-side to iron-side will not be routed over base, it will try to go straight trough alien territory.

I'm no native English speaker. But I think but I think it should named as "U-shaped logistics network" ...

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

TheRaph wrote:
userasd wrote:
I'm no native English speaker. But I think but I think it should named as "U-shaped logistics network" ...
Yes, I worded that poorly.

userasd
Inserter
Inserter

Post by userasd »

Thanks, guys! :3

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

I highly doubt developers will implement something like this. Why?
Adding another different game behavior would double the code needed for game as each behavior set would have its own code. Also doubling the code would also mean doubling the chance for new bugs being introduced into the game and not to mention much harder way to track specific bug.
So all in all it would require lots of work for little benefits. Therefore it is better that developers spend all that time to optimize existing game behavior. But due to the very high complexity of the game and highly complex bases that players manage to build this is far from begin an easy task.

Saltana
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Saltana »

How much complexity would it add, for example, to tweak personal roboports to build from closest object first, unless a performance limit is hit? It'd seem like a relatively simple change and easy to add a little tag somewhere saying which behaviour pattern is in use. That way you could still have simple QOL improvements in singleplayer which don't impact the game's ability to handle a big MP session.

In retrospect logistic robots were a bad example because a base which worked previously might not once the lag killer kicks in, depending on the changes made (I was thinking more of closest robots are assigned a task instead of random). Regardless, I appreciate that I don't really know what I'm talking about from a coding perspective and just wanted the idea to be out there.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”