[0.16.15] drag placing poles

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Nexarius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.16.15] drag placing poles

Post by Nexarius »

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.16.15] drag placing poles

Post by Loewchen »

You are leaving the placement range as indicated by the sound, move closer and it works.

Nexarius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nexarius »

But I didn't move the mouse. If that was the case shouldn't it place no poles at all instead of every second?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Nexarius wrote:But I didn't move the mouse. If that was the case shouldn't it place no poles at all instead of every second?
No, you still are in range for normal placement, what you are not is in range for the "run and place so all consumer on the path are connected" feature.

Nexarius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nexarius »

Okay that might be technically correct but I think it shouldn't work like that.

Wackerstamfer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wackerstamfer »

Try placing the poles in front of it, I think the spacing of the auto placement is different than the spacing between the refineries, hence not working since the refinery is in the way.

edit: Yup!
screenshot

milo christiansen
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by milo christiansen »

Shouldn't it place the pole at the nearest empty spot that is still in placement/connection range of the previous pole?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

milo christiansen wrote:Shouldn't it place the pole at the nearest empty spot that is still in placement/connection range of the previous pole?
Not exactly, it it will place on the current position unless this position would leave a consumer (or pole) unconnected in which case it will retroactively place on the last viable position, which it can not do in this case because the last viable position is out of placement range. One could argue that it should ignore placement range in this case, so I leave this for a dev to decide.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. The pole-placement logic used to ignore placing in this situation but it led to more problems such as placing poles super far away from the player.

That being said, this specific situation should still work so I'm not really sure what's the best answer here.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Rseding91 wrote:Thanks for the report. The pole-placement logic used to ignore placing in this situation but it led to more problems such as placing poles super far away from the player.

That being said, this specific situation should still work so I'm not really sure what's the best answer here.
I tested it and it can work, if you position your mouse properly relative to your character (have mouse on 2 o'clock instead of 11ish) ... but that feels inconvenient. How where is distance checking done in this case? Can we double player's reach easily for this particular check?

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

For 0.16.17 we did what I suggested in previous post, when drag placing electric poles, player's reach will double so that logic that tries to place electric poles so that all entities are powered also works with larger entities.

Thanks for the report.

beiju
Inserter
Inserter

Post by beiju »

The way this used to work, in early versions of 0.15 and before, was that placement of power poles that were “delayed” like this ignored your current reach. That made sense to me, because after all, it will only build it in places you dragged over while they were in reach, so you couldn’t use this to just build wherever. Someone then reported that as a bug and it was changed. I suggest fixing this issue by going back to that behavior, because it will also solve similar issues with large power poles, which are farther than 2*reach distance away from each other.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

beiju wrote:The way this used to work, in early versions of 0.15 and before, was that placement of power poles that were “delayed” like this ignored your current reach. That made sense to me, because after all, it will only build it in places you dragged over while they were in reach, so you couldn’t use this to just build wherever. Someone then reported that as a bug and it was changed. I suggest fixing this issue by going back to that behavior, because it will also solve similar issues with large power poles, which are farther than 2*reach distance away from each other.
Just the last power pole would need to be in 2*reach distance, though.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”