[0.16.15] Low FPS at start

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
bergi9
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.16.15] Low FPS at start

Post by bergi9 »

The FPS stays at ~20fps on start till i press the Win-Key to open the startmenu then it restores back to 60 FPS.
To reproduce (doesn't happend everytime, but really often when system has currently booted): open Discord and Skype, scroll a little on Discord and Skype, start Factorio from Steam or from standalone version via Explorer (Explorer already need to be opened). Also not touch any other windows who uses 3D too, just Discord or Skype as the last window then start Factorio.
I always have TeamSpeak3, Discord, Skype, Steam and Firefox (Dev Edition) opened when i start Factorio.

If i read the detailed timing information ingame, i noticed the long time needed for Flip[off] to render.
On GPU-Z it report the full Performance-Mode (not idle), consume VRAM as always (not lower), but lower GPU core usage (no downclocking) till i open the startmenu.

It happends since 0.15, not reported since then because i thought it was the nvidia driver's or DWM's fault. But no other game shows this symptoms.

Alt+Tab works as workaround too.

The UPS is always at fullspeed, no single drop. Just the FPS.
Doesn't matter if i play with or without mods.

I don't know if it's important too: I'm using AOC AGON AG271QX (27" 144hz+ G-Sync Monitor).
Attachments
factorio-current.log
with verbose enabled
(17.99 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
427520_20180106104555_1.png
427520_20180106104555_1.png (4.47 MiB) Viewed 2611 times
factorio-current.log
(3.53 KiB) Downloaded 103 times

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.16.15] Low FPS at start

Post by Zavian »

40ms to flip (with vsync off) is odd. That alone is pulling you done to under 25fps. I'd check your gpu driver settings. sometimes they can be configured to force vsync on, even if the game sets if off. If your monitor has any setting available, you might also want to see if that is trying to force vsync on, or trying to force a particular refresh rate. Finally both discord and steam offer overlay support, which could conceivably also manage to slow down the flip, so maybe do a clean reboot, don't start steam, or discord (exit them if already started), then start the standalone version from windows explorer, and see if that reduces flip times.

Also a possibly reveleant thread in the bug forums viewtopic.php?f=7&t=55974 .

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.16.15] Low FPS at start

Post by Loewchen »

There was an error producing such results when G-sync is activated, you could deactivate it for factorio in the driver menu to rule that out.

Return to “Technical Help”