[0.16] Running out of VRAM with 6GB + Game deleting settings

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.16] Running out of VRAM with 6GB + Game deleting settings

Post by Reika »

The full explanation, including logs and screenshots, can be found here, but the basic idea is that the game is occasionally (1 launch in 10-20) running out of VRAM when I have more than enough, then - more problematically - deleting my entire configuration settings.
Last edited by Reika on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.16] Running out of VRAM with 6GB + Game Deleting Settings

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. Can you upload the mod(s) you're using?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

Rseding91 wrote:Thanks for the report. Can you upload the mod(s) you're using?
The modlist is attached. Or do you want the mod files themselves (>200MB in total)?
Attachments
mod-list.json
(4.46 KiB) Downloaded 118 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Reika wrote:
The modlist is attached. Or do you want the mod files themselves (>200MB in total)?
The mods themselves.

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

Rseding91 wrote:
Reika wrote:
The mods themselves.
Done. I managed to strip out more than half of the size, as it was .git and .pdn data from my own mod folders, which is obviously not being used by the game.
Attachments
Fmods-setdeletebug.rar
(85.17 MiB) Downloaded 168 times

chrisgbk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by chrisgbk »

I was having similar issues with substantially less mods on a GTX980, somewhere around the latest patch. I basically set everything graphics related to default to try to load but it didn't work. I eventually had to enable texture compression to be able to load. My settings never ended up deleted however, just sprite quality changed from high to normal, and I was using the DirectX subsystem, not OpenGL.

With texture compression disabled, I both ran out of not just VRAM, but also system RAM (16 GB installed) -and- pagefile - in total almost 30 gigabytes was allocated during startup before Windows cut it off forcefully when I tried increasing VRAM usage from High -> All.

However, after enabling texture compression, I was able to load, and also able to disable texture compression again without breaking again - leading me to think there was something corrupted in one of the caches (pretty sure I had cache-sprite-atlas=true at the time, which ended up being disabled), presumably because it forced the game to regenerate the cached versions of everything when I enabled texture compression. Interestingly, I errored out on the exact same file with the same error (__base__/graphics/entity/artillery-wagon/hr-artillery-wagon-base-1.png).

If it helps, the only mod in common between both of us is research-queue.

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

chrisgbk wrote:I was having similar issues with substantially less mods on a GTX980, somewhere around the latest patch. I basically set everything graphics related to default to try to load but it didn't work. I eventually had to enable texture compression to be able to load. My settings never ended up deleted however, just sprite quality changed from high to normal, and I was using the DirectX subsystem, not OpenGL.

With texture compression disabled, I both ran out of not just VRAM, but also system RAM (16 GB installed) -and- pagefile - in total almost 30 gigabytes was allocated during startup before Windows cut it off forcefully when I tried increasing VRAM usage from High -> All.

However, after enabling texture compression, I was able to load, and also able to disable texture compression again without breaking again - leading me to think there was something corrupted in one of the caches (pretty sure I had cache-sprite-atlas=true at the time, which ended up being disabled), presumably because it forced the game to regenerate the cached versions of everything when I enabled texture compression. Interestingly, I errored out on the exact same file with the same error (__base__/graphics/entity/artillery-wagon/hr-artillery-wagon-base-1.png).

If it helps, the only mod in common between both of us is research-queue.
This has persisted across multiple 0.16 updates for me, so I doubt there is a cache issue, unless those caches persist across version updates (which seems unlikely given the likely resultant invalidity of said cache). The same applies to modlist changes.

Also, my settings:
Last edited by Reika on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.16] Running out of VRAM with 6GB + Game deleting settings

Post by Rseding91 »

I looked into it and the error it's giving is not saying it ran out of VRAM: it's saying it ran out of RAM.

When I load the game with high-res graphics enabled with the mods you've got it takes 8 GB of RAM loading high-res sprites to reach the main menu before it settles down to 3.6 GB used on the main menu.

Try this:

Go into the config.ini file and un-comment "thread-sprite-loading" and set it to false.

It's auto-disabled if you have less than 12 GB of RAM with high-res enabled but you're exactly at 12 GB and are probably using a bunch of it already for other processes.

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

Rseding91 wrote:I looked into it and the error it's giving is not saying it ran out of VRAM: it's saying it ran out of RAM.

When I load the game with high-res graphics enabled with the mods you've got it takes 8 GB of RAM loading high-res sprites to reach the main menu before it settles down to 3.6 GB used on the main menu.

Try this:

Go into the config.ini file and un-comment "thread-sprite-loading" and set it to false.

It's auto-disabled if you have less than 12 GB of RAM with high-res enabled but you're exactly at 12 GB and are probably using a bunch of it already for other processes.
I will try that, though the infrequency of the crash means determining the result might take some time.

As for the RAM usage - are you sure? My monitoring software reports a peak RAM usage of less than 5GB.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Thanks for the report.
As of 0.16.14 the game should not purge rest of the settings when reducing graphics quality.
Also we found unnecessary memory allocation in OpenGL renderer, so you shouldn't have problems with running out of RAM in 0.16.15 anymore (unless it turnes out it was not so unnecessary before .15 is released)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

posila wrote:Thanks for the report.
As of 0.16.14 the game should not purge rest of the settings when reducing graphics quality.
Also we found unnecessary memory allocation in OpenGL renderer, so you shouldn't have problems with running out of RAM in 0.16.15 anymore (unless it turnes out it was not so unnecessary before .15 is released)
Ahh, OpenGL. I was testing on DirectX.

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

Rseding91 wrote:
posila wrote:Thanks for the report.
Ahh, OpenGL. I was testing on DirectX.
For what it is worth, I have never changed my render engine settings; I have left that on default since I have had the game (late 0.11, standalone install).

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”