[0.11.13] RoadWorks 2.0.0

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.11.13] RoadWorks 2.0.0

Post by Rahjital »

RoadWorks is a mod focusing on adding the base connection infrastructure currently missing from Factorio. The mod expands on the car aspect of the game, adding features such as paved roads or speedometers.
Current features
Screenshots
RoadWorks doesn't add any complex new game mechanics, however, there are still some things that are good to know while playing.

At the beginning of the game, the only new item you can craft is the cobblestone path. 2 stone bricks are required for crafting 4 pieces of cobblestone path. Cars driving on cobblestone have their friction reduced by 15% and characters walk on it 45% faster.

RoadWorks also adds limestone, which is a new kind of ore used to make concrete. Once the Hydraulic Cement research is done, limestone can to be burned into quicklime, which is then mixed with water and stone in a chemical plant to make concrete. At the moment, concrete is only used in pavement crafting, but eventually it will also be used in bridge construction and possibly other recipes. Concrete pavement needs 4 concrete blocks for crafting and speeds up both cars and players by 30%. Note that you do not need the Oil Refining technology to build the chemical plants needed to create concrete.

The last kind of placeable surface in RoadWorks is the asphalt road. To make it, you must first research Road Networking, after which you can turn heavy oil to asphalt in chemical plants and then use 4 of the newly created asphalt pieces to make the asphalt road. Cars receive 45% friction reduction on asphalt roads but player characters walk only 15% faster on them.

Once you research Advanced Automobilism, you will be also able to manufacture high-octane fuel by putting together four cubes of solid fuel and a piece of sulfur. High-octane fuel is specialized for usage in car engines and raises acceleration by 35%. However, it doesn't last as long as solid fuel when used in vehicles and is much less efficient, as the 2 pieces of solid fuel used to craft it last quite a bit longer when used as fuel.

Advanced Automobilism also unlocks car instruments. When you enter a car after this research is done, a small window will appear in the top left corner showing you your current speed and the amount and kind of fuel currently loaded in the car.
Experimental Features
Future Plans
Version 2.0.0 download here: https://db.tt/y8pC8Ibc
Changelog
Last edited by Rahjital on Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 16 times in total.

darius456
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.10.0] RoadWorks

Post by darius456 »

Cool, another usefull mod. Show me bridge!
Lenovo Y580 8GB Ram GF660m 128GB SSD W7

sonnyskare
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sonnyskare »

It'd be interesting if you could force the cars to stay on the pavement, so we never hit any buildings.

Similar to how the train moves except you could freely move.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Suggest also having anti-pavement. As in, increases friction significantly.
Also, possible a setting that, I guess, changes the car's gears, which causes it to move very slowly, and take far more friction off of roads.

Also if pavement increased person movement speed it would be nice.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

its about time, thanks a lot for this mod ;)
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

theit8514
Inserter
Inserter

Post by theit8514 »

sonnyskare wrote:It'd be interesting if you could force the cars to stay on the pavement, so we never hit any buildings.

I looked into this and it does not appear to be possible in the current modding API. The Orientation and Direction variables of entities are read-only. If they were not you could change the direction of the car using the ontick event.

Technically, you could make it where if you leave the road going over a certain speed, it would teleport you back onto the road using entity teleport method. Would look pretty strange though (and probably take a ton of CPU time).

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

darius456 wrote:Cool, another usefull mod. Show me bridge!
Thanks! You can see the current version of bridges here: http://i.imgur.com/Mv5wVM3.png. Just remember they are still an experimental feature, so they are rather fugly and a bit buggy too. You can use them already, though, just enable the experimental features the way the first post describes.
sonnyskare wrote:It'd be interesting if you could force the cars to stay on the pavement, so we never hit any buildings.

Theit8514 described it very well, it would be difficult. The direction a car drives in cannot be changed by mods, so currently the only way to do this is to constantly track the position of the car and the tile it is currently on and then teleport it back in the direction of the road. Very demanding on the computer.
Ranakastrasz wrote:Suggest also having anti-pavement. As in, increases friction significantly.
Also, possible a setting that, I guess, changes the car's gears, which causes it to move very slowly, and take far more friction off of roads.

Also if pavement increased person movement speed it would be nice.
That's a very good suggestion! Some places on real roads have special shapes that slow cars down too. I'll make sure to add this sometime in the future.

I may distribute that as a separate addon for this mod. I feel that many people would hate the car being slow without roads.

As for moving faster on pavement, I'm currently trying to find out if there are any Lua modifiers implemented like they are for cars. If there aren't, I should be able to fake it by teleporting the character in the direction it's walking in, but it's not nearly the ideal solution to the problem.
OBAMA MCLAMA wrote:its about time, thanks a lot for this mod ;)
Thank you! I did see a lot of suggestions asking for the things this mod adds, so I suppose I indeed came at the right time. :)

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

I.. really like this mod. I hope some of this stuff makes it into vanilla..

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

I didn't exactly say that it would be slower off of roads. So much as you can toggle that state somehow. That might not be possible however.

Might be possible to make it so that you slow down massively on hitting the edge of the road going off, then can speed back up after entirely leaving it.
Think of that as having a curb or a lip at the edge of the road, such that you hit a speedbump and lose a ton of speed.
Last edited by Ranakastrasz on Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

cool mod! thanks! :D :D

idea road to terrain :mrgreen: Beauty in base

and could be a recipe to make asphalt from oil and waste just yet of oil and a couple of things
eg
stone and oil - asphalt
Additional with dytech f mod
Resource rutile

way with dytech work? and f mod?

and idea technology in open in resipe to realism

and
stone bridge
titan bridge
stone dock (pier)
titan dock (pier)
and that would be at the dock (pier), it was possible to put a wall to protect
Last edited by Airat9000 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

JamesOFarrell
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JamesOFarrell »

Fantastic, I am not much of a car user but being able to give my factory something besides a dirt floor is awesome. Thanks.

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

FishSandwich wrote:I.. really like this mod. I hope some of this stuff makes it into vanilla..
Thank you! Yeah, I too hope we'll get to see roads and such in vanilla Factorio sooner or later. Especially because the mod API is fairly limited and most things have to be done in a very hacky way.
Ranakastrasz wrote:I didn't exactly say that it would be slower off of roads. So much as you can toggle that state somehow. That might not be possible however.

Might be possible to make it so that you slow down massively on hitting the edge of the road going off, then can speed back up after entirely leaving it.
Think of that as having a curb or a lip at the edge of the road, such that you hit a speedbump and lose a ton of speed.
Oh, I see what you mean now. That's a fairly good idea, too. I'll make sure to take a look at it.

Hmm, that's a much better solution. Could be done without too big of a performance hit, too. Man, you really are a treasury of good ideas!
Airat9000 wrote:cool mod! thanks! :D :D

idea road to terrain :mrgreen: Beauty in base

and could be a recipe to make asphalt from oil and waste just yet of oil and a couple of things
eg
stone and oil - asphalt
Additional with dytech f mod
Resource rutile

way with dytech work? and f mod?

and idea technology in open in resipe to realism

and
stone bridge
titan bridge
stone dock (pier)
titan dock (pier)
and that would be at the dock (pier), it was possible to put a wall to protect
Thanks!

I might change the recipe for asphalt to require stone too, but you already need stone to make the cobblestone path and concrete and I don't really want every recipe in the mod to require stone.

I'm not sure if the mod works with DyTech or F-mod as I don't play with either, but I can do a quick test. RoadWorks should be compatible with pretty much every other mod, though, it makes no changes to the base game.

RoadWorks is designed to work with vanilla Factorio, so it's not going to contain anything to do with DyTech. It's modular, though, so making an addon containing titanium bridges would be very easy.

I'm not sure what do you mean with piers. Do you want bridges you could build on or something like that?
JamesOFarrell wrote:Fantastic, I am not much of a car user but being able to give my factory something besides a dirt floor is awesome. Thanks.
Thank you! I think you'll find the mod more useful once railroad bridges are added. :)

Vitduo
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Vitduo »

WRUM, WRUM, ow, here is a moderators :)
Interesting mod, I'll use it

sonnyskare
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sonnyskare »

theit8514 wrote:

I looked into this and it does not appear to be possible in the current modding API. The Orientation and Direction variables of entities are read-only. If they were not you could change the direction of the car using the ontick event.

Technically, you could make it where if you leave the road going over a certain speed, it would teleport you back onto the road using entity teleport method. Would look pretty strange though (and probably take a ton of CPU time).
Would it be possible to create an object which only the car collides with that has infinite health? I don't know what you guys can do so this is only a suggestion.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Pretty sure custom collision is impossible.
Also, even if it was, that would splode the car.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

Rahjital wrote:
FishSandwich wrote:I.. really like this mod. I hope some of this stuff makes it into vanilla..
2 idea
limestone (you resourse) + oil => asphalt

and other
pier
and bridge

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

sonnyskare wrote:Would it be possible to create an object which only the car collides with that has infinite health? I don't know what you guys can do so this is only a suggestion.
As Ranakastrasz said, there's no way to add custom collision masks yet - if there were, my job would be much easier. :)
Airat9000 wrote:
2 idea

and other
pier
and bridge
Asphalt is supposed to come from refineries as a waste, I think I already took enough liberties with the recipe as it is. True, limestone isn't very useful currently, but that's going to change once concrete bridges are added. And even if that's not enough, limestone can be used for things like air pollution reduction (quicklime + water + electricity = slightly cleaner air).

I'm sorry but I still have no idea as of what do you mean by piers. How would they be different from bridges?

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

Rahjital wrote:
sonnyskare wrote:Would it be possible to create an object which only the car collides with that has infinite health? I don't know what you guys can do so this is only a suggestion.
As Ranakastrasz said, there's no way to add custom collision masks yet - if there were, my job would be much easier. :)
Airat9000 wrote:
2 idea

and other
pier
and bridge
Asphalt is supposed to come from refineries as a waste, I think I already took enough liberties with the recipe as it is. True, limestone isn't very useful currently, but that's going to change once concrete bridges are added. And even if that's not enough, limestone can be used for things like air pollution reduction (quicklime + water + electricity = slightly cleaner air).

I'm sorry but I still have no idea as of what do you mean by piers. How would they be different from bridges?

just an idea can be implemented
waste in the form of asphalt
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =33&t=4341

Well pier in the form of land or ports, that there could be put walls, guns, etc. admissible if a lot of water that would reduce it to install walls and protection

Rensiur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rensiur »

Pretty cool idea, gonna give it a try.

And for the Pier that Airat mentions. I believe he thinks of something like Landfill, but just that you por tons of concrete into the water to build upon.

Basically like a land extension in a harbour or similar things.

perkel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by perkel »

Do i need to restart game for limestone to be found ?

Return to “Mods”