Train Pathing Question

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Train Pathing Question

Post by dog80 »

Why does the train not take the yellow marked waiting area? I know how to work around that, but i stumbled over this problem now several times and it forces me to build the train network in a specific way.

(green is the way the train will take when there is green light)
r5g5re61g5r.jpg
r5g5re61g5r.jpg (79.78 KiB) Viewed 4043 times
- the 2 red marked signals can be removed that would fix the issue, though it destroys the way i wanted to setup the network, because i'd like to have other trains pass this rail in both directions, which is not implemented here.

- Also swapping the drive-through and waiting-bay would be a solution (image2), though again it forces me to build it in a specific way.
r5g5re61g5r-1.jpg
r5g5re61g5r-1.jpg (82.95 KiB) Viewed 4043 times
in reality trains would ofcourse take the waiting bay because the distance to the left could be much larger. I suspect that this advanced path finding would very complex etc. so taking the solution of the direct way is the only one...

nvm this is just for my personal understanding, thx for any help.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Train Pathing Question

Post by orzelek »

I'm not 100% sure but I think that train choses path that seems shorter regardless of signal state on that path.
If you move the siding to other side of main rail it will have same length as main track and should be used more often since pathing cost will be same as main line.

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

orzelek wrote:I'm not 100% sure but I think that train choses path that seems shorter regardless of signal state on that path.
If you move the siding to other side of main rail it will have same length as main track and should be used more often since pathing cost will be same as main line.
yes that is correct - but again maybe at a certain point there is no possibility to move it on the other side

aaargha
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aaargha »

This is caused by the pathfinder not looking whether a signal is red or not - except for circuits - but whether or not there is a train in the block. As there is no train in either block the only thing the pathfinder has to differentiate with is how long the paths are. Changing how that works seems like it would not be that easy to me at least, especially handling chain signals correctly and efficiently.

Another workaround for this could be to make the siding the only entrance to the train station, this should only need very little space.

pleegwat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by pleegwat »

I could see giving some penalty to paths through a two-way signal.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

I think that part of it could be that paths are calculated when the train departs, and it rarely recalcultes, although in that case I would think that it would choose the correct path. Also, you're on 0.16, right?
aaargha wrote:This is caused by the pathfinder not looking whether a signal is red or not - except for circuits - but whether or not there is a train in the block. As there is no train in either block the only thing the pathfinder has to differentiate with is how long the paths are. Changing how that works seems like it would not be that easy to me at least, especially handling chain signals correctly and efficiently.

Another workaround for this could be to make the siding the only entrance to the train station, this should only need very little space.
Really? I thought that penalties were given with 2(block length) for red signals, and that circuit-controlled signals just gave a constant penalty of 1000?
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Ah, this is relavent. I'm not entirely sure why this is happenning, though.

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

pleegwat wrote:I could see giving some penalty to paths through a two-way signal.
Sounds valid to me

cbhj1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by cbhj1 »

not sure it matters to the discussion, but the rail signal going into the waiting bay is red without a train in the block

aaargha
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aaargha »

cbhj1 wrote:not sure it matters to the discussion, but the rail signal going into the waiting bay is red without a train in the block
Which signal are you referring to, as far as I can tell they all look like they're in the correct state?

cbhj1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by cbhj1 »

in the second picture, the entrance to the empty waiting bay

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

cbhj1 wrote:in the second picture, the entrance to the empty waiting bay
Nope - it's a chain signal.

cbhj1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by cbhj1 »

so it is, my mistake

Triaxx2
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Triaxx2 »

I'm not seeing a second signal for the interior signals on the upper side to be chained off of. They're connecting to the signal on the far end past the incoming train. Which is why they're red, so the train is going through because it's already in the block.

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

Triaxx2 wrote:I'm not seeing a second signal for the interior signals on the upper side to be chained off of. They're connecting to the signal on the far end past the incoming train. Which is why they're red, so the train is going through because it's already in the block.
the station

Return to “Gameplay Help”