Self-contained 1000 SPM base

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
ultramn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ultramn »

This post shows off a self-contained 1,000 science per minute factory (excluding military). The 6 raw resources (iron plate, copper plate, coal, stone, crude oil, and water) are delivered via trains to the main base.

In a previous save I created a giant base with a correspondingly giant rail network to shuffle ingredients between stations. I got a bit sick of the boneheaded pathfinding decisions of single headed trains. On this save, I wanted to keep the rail system as simple as possible. I also wanted to simplify the design as much as possible by shuffling around intermediate ingredients as little as possible.

In the end, this base was really fun to create and it works well. I was gone for 5 days over holiday break and the base ran without any issues. As of the time of writing, I'm up to mining productivity 489 with 11,626 satellites in orbit.

This is a mostly vanilla map. I did change the resources to be generally richer than the default, disabled enemies, pollution and cliffs. The map was generated sometime in 0.16 and (to me) the resources seem way more scarce than with a 0.15 map.

I have the auto-research mod (because clicking mining productivity 500x times is tedious), and auto-deconstruct. No long reach this time around, which made things a bit more tedious, but not much.
Factory tour
My save consists of an initial bootstrap base which now mostly produces modules, bots and parts for the solar panel array. Just north of this is a 300 science per minute base which was a prototype for testing out the design and finding any bugs in the resource planning script. I have since turned this base off so production stats are purely from the 1K SPM base.
1K SPM base

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Self-contained 1000 SPM base

Post by Mylon »

Can I get a blueprint string of the main base?

ultramn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ultramn »

Mylon wrote:Can I get a blueprint string of the main base?
Sure, here you go: https://pastebin.com/uyNEVgCy

Save game file:
2017-basey-base-8.zip
1k spm base
(63.3 MiB) Downloaded 1512 times

KoblerMan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by KoblerMan »

This is really awesome. Are you giving away your Python script too, or is that a trade secret? ;)
ImageImage
System Specs
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (@~3.8 gHz)
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080
RAM: 32GB DDR4 (2400)
DRIVES: 2x 1TB NVMe SSD, 1x 6TB HDD

Tami
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tami »

I think, if you want belts in endgame for, you need faster belts than this actually limited 20 items per second per side belt.

The limitation for bots are the Roboports, aslong they cover the area where bots fly, its fine.
The limitation for belts are the their speed. They are simply too slow for late game, so you have to spam belts over belts to keep the itemflow up.
Also a megasplitter in different sizes and modular could be a think to support bigger belt systems.

Maybe add an endlesstech for beltspeed like bots have.

Blailus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Blailus »

Speeding up belts helps a great deal. Loaders would help a great deal. On my bob/angel's playthrough I found myself still using belts (T5 belts) even though I had ridiculously fast T4 bots just because moving 66+ items/s made it fun to still play with a belt/bot mix. Generally in vanilla, as soon as I can transition to full bot/rail, I do, because it's far more fun for me to build scale than to bother widening belts.

Creating some 16 blue belt wide bus for one material and splitting it off correctly to ensure balanced throughput is not something I wanted from factorio, personally. Now I'm sure some people enjoy that, but that doesn't mean nerfing bots is a good method to MAKE me do that.

Cakeportal
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Cakeportal »

I think that you can make your circuit production more space efficient by using the correct ratio of wire assemblers to circuit assemblers, rather than doing 1:1. It is possible to do the 3:2 circuit ratios in the same way you are doing 1:1 by exploiting buffer chest's ability to request and provide items, like this: https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... EE1837490/. Although you're probably doing something to do with distributing the copper wire already and I just haven't noticed it.

BinaryRemark
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by BinaryRemark »

KoblerMan wrote:Are you giving away your Python script too, or is that a trade secret? ;)
I'm with Kobler Here. I'm interested in that script!

Stumblefoot
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Stumblefoot »

KoblerMan wrote:This is really awesome. Are you giving away your Python script too, or is that a trade secret? ;)
BinaryRemark wrote:
KoblerMan wrote:Are you giving away your Python script too, or is that a trade secret? ;)
I'm with Kobler Here. I'm interested in that script!

You can use this online calculator
https://kirkmcdonald.github.io/calc.htm ... uwxzn4Ag==

TripleOmega
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TripleOmega »

I've been trying to make my own version of this based on your design, but in making my own calculations it seems that your factory consumes and produces way too little to output 1000 science per minute. So either I fucked up on my end or you did. It would be really helpful if you could double check on your end.

To give you an example of a discrepancy. According to both the wiki and my own calculations launching a rocket takes 43.725 iron and 11.500 steel which takes 57.500 iron to produce for a total of 101.225 iron. Since one rocket gives you 1000 Space Science Packs you will need to launch one rocket per minute. Thus your factory requires over 100k iron per minute just for the Space Science Packs. Your "Raw resources needed" section however puts your total requirement for iron at 97.625 per minute.

Another example would be your steel smelting. If I counted correctly your factory has 274 furnaces making steel. With a crafting speed of 9.4 and 20% productivity they produce 10.596 steel per minute. This is already lower than the 11.500 steel required to launch a rocket once per minute.(The total being 18.000.)

Could you please clarify whether I'm making a mistake somewhere or you did? If I'm screwing up somewhere I would like to catch it before I build my entire base based on false data.

TripleOmega
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TripleOmega »

I think I found my mistake. I didn't factor in the discounts of the productivity modules when calculating the input values. I only adjusted the output. So the input values should be much lower than I calculated and yours are probably correct. Especially since a lot of them are discounted multiple times while going through multiple machines.

Also thank you Stumblefoot for posting the online calculator.

silivestru
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by silivestru »

Hi Ultramn,

Can you please make another factory for the 0.17 science pack requirements? I have enjoyed using the blueprint for this factory many times.

https://factoriomaps.com/anonymous/qblo ... 2.23/Night

ilbJanissary
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ilbJanissary »

silivestru wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:07 pm
Hi Ultramn,

Can you please make another factory for the 0.17 science pack requirements? I have enjoyed using the blueprint for this factory many times.

https://factoriomaps.com/anonymous/qblo ... 2.23/Night
I noticed your comment while I was using this post as a reference for my post. I'm not ultramn, but here is my post about a related blueprint for 0.17:
viewtopic.php?f=204&t=71322

silivestru
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by silivestru »

Hi ilbJanissary,

You're the best. Thanks you so much!!!!

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”