0.16 Map generation Feedback

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

Re: 0.16 Map generation Feedback

Postby tk0421 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:19 am

resource issues aside (yeah, im getting those too)

I'm not a fan of the the new pastel colors.

and im very underwhelmed by cliffs.
tk0421
Inserter
Inserter
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:36 pm

Re: 0.16 Map generation Feedback

Postby frostig » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:10 am

Iam not a fan of the new water/land generation. Iam 15hrs in my 0.16 map and was wondering about the watergeneration so i used the command to reveal the map and its basically a maze with small seas and small land stripes inbetween. For this playthrough i will use the mod "no lakes" which removes any water from new chunk generation.

I downgraded to 0.15.40 and loaded an old map i created in 0.15.x. Here is was it looks like when i reveal it with the command from the wiki:

https://imgur.com/n583B2M

I loaded the same map in 0.16.7:

https://imgur.com/5r4gEHz

Iam much in favor for the old generation. I liked the big seas with enough land inbetween to build around. There also were small lakes in my way i had to get rid of with landfill but it was well balanced imo.

With the new generation its such a hassle to build around the small waterspots and i have to use landfill anyways before i can build big. Not sure if this is intended but as feedback i want to tell you i dont like it this way and was pretty happy with the old one.

edit: Both my new map and this old map are trainworld setting.
frostig
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:48 pm

Re: 0.16 Map generation Feedback

Postby Avezo » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:12 am

I think there is an issue with resource generation on maps with lots of water - it seems that map generator puts resource patches properly as if it was pure land-map but ignores large patches of water and tries to put patches ontop of it. Results are that some resources end up almost always drowned.

It seems that RSO doesn't have this problem, because afaik it only works with non-water terrain to begin with.
Image
Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: 0.16 Map generation Feedback

Postby manpapper » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:57 am

I hope they will fix resource generation on top of water pretty soon :)
Or some kind of radar to reveal resource under the water which we can access with landfills :)
manpapper
Inserter
Inserter
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:51 pm

Re: 0.16 Map generation Feedback

Postby Dixi » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:19 am

Is map generator moddable?
I mean terrain generation, not resource allocation - that can be modded since Bob and RSO do it.
Dixi
Inserter
Inserter
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:47 pm

Re: 0.16 Map generation Feedback

Postby roman566 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:34 pm

Is it me or do the maps barely have any enemies in them? In preview with highest settings I barely saw any enemies. Compared to the older map generator where with the highest setting, once you left starting area, there was impassable wall of enemy bases and thousands of bitters just waiting to kill you.
roman566
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 10:53 pm

Re: 0.16 Map generation Feedback

Postby Dixi » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:35 am

roman566 wrote:Is it me or do the maps barely have any enemies in them? In preview with highest settings I barely saw any enemies. Compared to the older map generator where with the highest setting, once you left starting area, there was impassable wall of enemy bases and thousands of bitters just waiting to kill you.

Are you sure it was at beginning of game?
Biter's bases usually grow and evolve due to pollution, during game, and are not so impassible at start.
Dixi
Inserter
Inserter
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:47 pm

Re: 0.16 Map generation Feedback

Postby Zavian » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:09 pm

See viewtopic.php?f=7&t=55178&p=326011&hilit=biter#p326011 for a discussion on the new biter generation settings.
Zavian
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:57 am

Re: 0.16 Map generation Feedback

Postby Matthias_Wlkp » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:06 pm

After playing for roughly 16 hours on .16 map I must say, that I really like how resources and trees are generated.

It's so much easier to keep everything spaced out - there is more than enough free, empty areas in the starting zone. No need to spend ton of time to clear the ground for a massive ore processing center any more! It also helps when driving around in the car - less trees to bump into!

As the resources are much more spread out, it helps a lot with using rails - compared to previous versions, it was much easier for me to setup initial rail system without feeling overwhelmed with conveyor spaghetti around it. I'm fairly casual player and I'm enjoying the new setup by far!

Also, the occasional cliffs add so much to the terrain variety - the map now looks complete. The only thing that I miss so fare are large lakes.
Matthias_Wlkp
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: 0.16 Map generation Feedback

Postby Nazair » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:04 pm

Is it only me but with new version it seems impossible to generate map with a stone deposit somewhere near starting area...

With 0.14/0.15 there was so many nice maps - island, islands, continents, peninsulas. With 0.16 I can either generate flat map or medium sized islands with not enough resources...
Nazair
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:12 am

Re: 0.16 Map generation Feedback

Postby Koub » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:00 pm

Nazair wrote:Is it only me but with new version it seems impossible to generate map with a stone deposit somewhere near starting area...

It's only you :)
Well maybe not, but with default settings, I most of the time had some stone. However, on the map, stone can be VERY hard to see, it has a color very similar with some terrains.
Sometimes, I could tell there was stone ojnly by accidentally hovering over a patch on the minimap with my mouse.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.
Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 3481
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 8:54 am
Location: France

Re: 0.16 Map generation Feedback

Postby Serenity » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:00 pm

Nazair wrote:Is it only me but with new version it seems impossible to generate map with a stone deposit somewhere near starting area...

Stone seems to be pretty rare. But it's also very hard to see on the map with the new terrain. The color is almost exactly the same as some of gray/light brown areas
Serenity
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:16 am

Re: 0.16 Map generation Feedback

Postby Xtrafresh » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:39 pm

frostig wrote:Iam not a fan of the new water/land generation. Iam 15hrs in my 0.16 map and was wondering about the watergeneration so i used the command to reveal the map and its basically a maze with small seas and small land stripes inbetween. For this playthrough i will use the mod "no lakes" which removes any water from new chunk generation.

I downgraded to 0.15.40 and loaded an old map i created in 0.15.x. Here is was it looks like when i reveal it with the command from the wiki:

https://imgur.com/n583B2M

I loaded the same map in 0.16.7:

https://imgur.com/5r4gEHz

Iam much in favor for the old generation. I liked the big seas with enough land inbetween to build around. There also were small lakes in my way i had to get rid of with landfill but it was well balanced imo.

With the new generation its such a hassle to build around the small waterspots and i have to use landfill anyways before i can build big. Not sure if this is intended but as feedback i want to tell you i dont like it this way and was pretty happy with the old one.

edit: Both my new map and this old map are trainworld setting.

+1 on this! I've resorted to generating and revealing a massive map in 0.15, loading it in 0.16, and hoping the biters arent going to slow it down too much. I don't know what you changed in the coastline generation, but I think it's a step backwards as far as generated maps are concerned.
Xtrafresh
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:57 pm

Re: 0.16 Map generation Feedback

Postby Kewlhotrod » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:56 am

100% prefer the old style of map generation, don't know how not to generate the snakey maps, want something more that looks like an actual landmass. not Pandora box map

Avezo wrote:I miss being able to make map like this. Just saying.

+1
Attachments
old.jpg
old.jpg (257.96 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
User avatar
Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:20 pm

Re: 0.16 Map generation Feedback

Postby roman566 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:07 pm

Kewlhotrod wrote:100% prefer the old style of map generation, don't know how not to generate the snakey maps, want something more that looks like an actual landmass. not Pandora box map


That's a cool map, can you share 0.15 map seed?
roman566
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 10:53 pm

Re: 0.16 Map generation Feedback

Postby Tomarev » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:00 pm

Hi.

In 0.16.7 version map generator has strange behavior. I use "railworld" setting with small differences. Sometimes map has no cliffs at all (with normal cliffs setting). Sometimes resources are inadequately rare. For example, this map has normal distribution of iron, and extremely law distribution of copper (both settings are standart). Is it a bug?
Attachments
NoCopper.jpg
NoCopper.jpg (379.66 KiB) Viewed 984 times
Tomarev
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:22 pm

Re: 0.16 Map generation Feedback

Postby Serenity » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:08 pm

Copper has been made rarer in comparison to iron because - at least with non-expensive recipes - you need less of it. Might be that plus some randomness

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-217
Serenity
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:16 am

Re: 0.16 Map generation Feedback

Postby Tomarev » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:17 pm

Serenity wrote:Copper has been made rarer in comparison to iron because - at least with non-expensive recipes - you need less of it. Might be that plus some randomness

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-217


From changelog list: "There is 1.49 times more iron on the map."

My map contains 10M of copper and 45M of iron (settings are standart). With expensive mode it is a bit hard to obtain enough copper.
Tomarev
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:22 pm

Re: 0.16 Map generation Feedback

Postby Avezo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:26 pm

Copper vs. Iron consupmtion depends very much where on you put production modules in science chain.

I don't think devs ever analized all of possibilities of such choices after the science change in 0.15.
Image
Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: 0.16 Map generation Feedback

Postby Nazair » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:28 am

So I guess until some fix/change the best way to get proper map is to generate it with 0.15 and then play in 0.16 ;x
Nazair
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:12 am

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Doublespin and 9 guests