What is Control-Left Click on Toolbar?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
garath
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

What is Control-Left Click on Toolbar?

Post by garath »

In every game I play, I always run into this. I'm in a hurry trying to clear a filter on a toolbar slot. I'll accidentally Control-Left click on a slot twice. The first click, greys out the item in the slot but still shows the item. The second control-left greys out ALL toolbar slots. Then, I have to go into my inventory and manually drag all 20 items from my inventory back to the toolbar. Or, if I know I saved recently, I'll load a save.

Can someone please tell me what this is supposed to be doing? Does this accomplish something useful?

Thanks!

Momus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: What is Control-Left Click on Toolbar?

Post by Momus »

That's a quick transfer. Try this with some container opened - this allows you to transfer all items in or out. With no containers it transfers between your backpack and quick toolbar

garath
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by garath »

Momus wrote:That's a quick transfer. Try this with some container opened - this allows you to transfer all items in or out. With no containers it transfers between your backpack and quick toolbar
Thanks! I use this all the time on containers but hadn't really thought about what it does when applied to the toolbar. As you said, a single Control-Left click will transfer that slot to the backpack. A second click (once that slot is empty) then transfers ALL items from the toolbar to the back pack. I can't believe I never noticed that!! When I do this, my toolbar is suddenly empty. Then, it is a pain to manually drag items one-by-one from my backpack to my toolbar.

However, thanks to your help, now I can quickly reverse this mistake by Control-Left clicking on all items in my backpack to refill my toolbar.

I still think it has doubtful usefulness. When they re-write the GUI, I think they may want to add a toggle that turns this on/off for the toolbar. I can't tell you how many dozens of times I've done this and been incredibly frustrated.

Thanks again!!

Momus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Momus »

Well, the ability to throw all the stuff away from inventory is pretty helpful, it is just not so obvious that you got to "quick-transfer"-click on empty slot for that.

garath
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by garath »

Momus wrote:Well, the ability to throw all the stuff away from inventory is pretty helpful, it is just not so obvious that you got to "quick-transfer"-click on empty slot for that.
Thanks again! You rock!

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

You can click with the middle mousebutton on your inventory and toolbar to set a filter for that specific item. Then it is also easier to have items stay where they belong.

garath
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by garath »

BHakluyt wrote:You can click with the middle mousebutton on your inventory and toolbar to set a filter for that specific item. Then it is also easier to have items stay where they belong.
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I do that for most of the 20 slots. But then when I start the mass upgrade of belts from yellow to red, I want to go back and change the filters for yellow belt, yellow underground and yellow splitter to red ones. It seems like when I just click once with the middle mouse button that it won't change the filter because there is an item still in the slot. I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I think I was using Control-Left click to transfer all the items in the toolbar to my backpack. Then, once the toolbar slot was empty, I **wanted** to click the middle mouse button to set the filter. But I would accidentally Control-Left click a second time. This would then transfer ALL items from the toolbar to my backpack.

This was incredibly frustrating because then I'd go one at a time individually dragging the items from my backpack to my toolbar. Or, I'd just rage quit the game and come back later and reload a save. LOL! However, thanks to the AWESOME tip from above. Now, I know I can just Control-Left click in my backpack to transfer all from my backpack to my toolbar. 300+ hours playing the game, and I'm still just a novice!!

Thank you again for the reply! I'm such a fool for not asking about this before!! :) :)

Triaxx2
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Triaxx2 »

With the items in the slot, middle click and the blue background vanishes. Then move the items out. And to rapidly set a new filter, hover over the slot with the new item and middle-click and it'll set it straight to that.

Alternately, try lifting your finger totally off the mouse before middle-clicking, if it still left clicks, new mouse time.

Return to “Gameplay Help”