[16.3] Existing Underground Belt/Splitters Replaced on Drag

Bugs that are actually features.
ibfreeekout
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[16.3] Existing Underground Belt/Splitters Replaced on Drag

Post by ibfreeekout »

When existing Underground Belts and Splitters are on the ground, dragging or placing Standard Belts across them will replace the item with a Standard Belt.

Steps to Reproduce:
  • Place Underground Belt or Splitter on ground
  • Select Standard Belt
  • Hold place button and drag over or simply click over existing Underground Belt or Splitter on ground
  • Underground Belt or Splitter is replaced with Standard Belt. The replaced entity moves to player inventory.
Rate of Occurrence:

This bug happens at all times when attempting to place Standard Belt on top of Underground Belt or Splitters.

Expected Action:
  • Dragging Standard Belts across existing Underground Belt or Splitters will skip placing Standard Belts when another entity is in the same block
This does not seem to impact dragging belts over other entities (Inserters, Furnaces, etc).

Log file is attached.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
Log file from game experiencing bug.
(26.56 KiB) Downloaded 114 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [16.3] Existing Underground Belt/Splitters Replaced on Drag

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report but that's actually a new feature of 0.16. :)
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

I actually feel that you shouldn't be able to replace splitters/undergrounds with belts whilsts running/dragging the mouse. Let players fast replace them by clicking directly on them, but not whilst running/dragging. That would solve almost all the accidental cases of replacing things whilst upgrading belts.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Zavian wrote:I actually feel that you shouldn't be able to replace splitters/undergrounds with belts whilsts running/dragging the mouse. Let players fast replace them by clicking directly on them, but not whilst running/dragging. That would solve almost all the accidental cases of replacing things whilst upgrading belts.
I feel the same way but I was overridden by Kovarex :)

You can mod it to work that way by adding the entity prototype flag "fast-replaceable-no-cross-type-while-moving" to each of the belt entities.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

sicklag
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sicklag »

Last edited by sicklag on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

I think adding shift/ctrl just complicates the ui for no purpose. Just and I see no point in adding an option when I think pretty much everyone should be willing to settle for a reasonable compromise like I suggested above.

ChCole
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ChCole »

I made a mod:
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/ChCole/S ... ickreplace
You do no longer replace splitters and underground belts with transport belts while running.
You can still replace them by clicking.

seePyou
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by seePyou »

Thank you for this mod. I've downloaded it, making it the FIRST mod I feel is a must, for 0.16 at least. And I never even installed a "far reach" mod! This is how strongly I feel about this new fast replace mechanic.

TheEnemy42
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheEnemy42 »

Hello there. I'm new around here and I really just signed up to second this. This is for me the single most frustrating thing I've ever encountered in the game and I really hope the devs will reconsider this. Apparently they don't agree for now, but does anyone know what the reasons are for this? Why do they consider this best for gameplay?

For me, having to stop all the time while upgrading belts to make sure I don't accidently replace splitters and undergrounds make an already rather boring process even worse. It's a slow, tedius grind and in my opinion brings no challenge or fun. But maybe, just maybe, I'm doing it wrong or havn't seen the real purpose of this?

Otherwise, thank you for an amazing game. It's so much fun, so keep up the good work! :-)
Currently primary Danish translator of Factorio. Feel free to contact me in regards to the translations.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

TheEnemy42 wrote:Hello there. I'm new around here and I really just signed up to second this. This is for me the single most frustrating thing I've ever encountered in the game and I really hope the devs will reconsider this. Apparently they don't agree for now, but does anyone know what the reasons are for this? Why do they consider this best for gameplay?

For me, having to stop all the time while upgrading belts to make sure I don't accidently replace splitters and undergrounds make an already rather boring process even worse. It's a slow, tedius grind and in my opinion brings no challenge or fun. But maybe, just maybe, I'm doing it wrong or havn't seen the real purpose of this?

Otherwise, thank you for an amazing game. It's so much fun, so keep up the good work! :-)
See:
ChCole wrote:I made a mod:
You do no longer replace splitters and underground belts with transport belts while running.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

TheEnemy42
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheEnemy42 »

Yes, thank you :) I learned about the mod in this topic too and I'll be sure to use it, but my post was rather asking for the reason for this implementation by the devs as I fail to see the purpose. I assume the devs have a rational reason and would like to hear it :)
Currently primary Danish translator of Factorio. Feel free to contact me in regards to the translations.

seePyou
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by seePyou »

Thank you! This will be my very first mod to download after 300 hours of Factorio. Fast replace splitters and undergrounds with belts is just wrong. This mod is 100% required to play. Thank you!

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

When I run replacing belts and hit an underground belt does that then place belts after the underground belt?

Ideally I would like the drag placement to pause when it hits the undergound belt going down and restart again when it hits the coresponding underground belt going up. I don't want to place any belts in the gap that the underground belts tunnels under. I don't want to replace belts that cross that gap at right angels either.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

kisses :)

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Replacing a belt with a splitter would be a good idea. The reverse... not so much. Things go break-y when you start upgrading belts and your sideloaders-direct-from-splitter break and mess up the belt. It's an interesting feature. Someone forgot to also set it for blueprints though...

Return to “Not a bug”