Sort items from inventory into toolbar

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

theit8514
Inserter
Inserter

Sort items from inventory into toolbar

Post by theit8514 »

Probably not the best title, but meh.

Ex: I usually carry around 3 stacks of transport belts. In this example, I have 1 1/2 stacks (50+25) in my inventory and 1 stack (50) which is on a filtered toolbar slot. If I use 30 transport belts from my filtered slot in inventory, then press Q, the stack I'm holding (20) goes to my toolbar but the stack of 25 in my inventory doesn't get combined with it to make a new stack of 45. Instead, I have one stack of 25 in my inventory, and a stack of 20 in my toolbar.

Image, if that was too poorly worded. I just placed all the tracks except for 5 and hit q. I'm left with a stack of 50, a stack of 15, and a stack of 5 in the toolbar.

In general though, I think pressing Q to unselect a stack should cause an inventory sort as well. For example, if I pick up half a stack of solar panels from my main inventory, then press Q, the stack I'm holding goes to the toolbar (if free) but the other half stack stays in my inventory. Very odd behavior.

[edit]MATH :)

Thourion
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Sort items from inventory into toolbar

Post by Thourion »

Hmm, well it took me a while to understand this (its early morning where i am, kinda sleepy).
Anyways, if you shift click the stack in your inventory it will fill your toolbar stack slot.
If you ctrl click an empty slot on your toolbar (no need to open inventory), it will fill/empty your entire toolbar, with the things going to proper places if filtered.

I hope i understood your question, and better yet, that i answered it ... way to sleepy :mrgreen:

Oh and btw, im sure you already know, but the game moves automatically to the other stacks in your inventory, after you run out of the toolbar's, so no need to refill or whatnot. It just doesnt automerge your stack in the bar.

theit8514
Inserter
Inserter

Post by theit8514 »

If I press Q when I have this half stack in my hand, it should combine with the other half stack and free up an inventory slot. Currently, it makes me have 1 full stack and 2 half stacks (one on toolbar, one in inventory).

I wasn't sure if this qualified as a bug, as it's not exactly bugged. If it's not a bug, feel free to move it to suggestions.

MtNak
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MtNak »

It would be really nice if we can have this.
It is easy to think that you have less of one item because you only look at the toolbar so you make or want to make more, then to notice you had more, but in your inventory.

Yeah, i'm not sure either if it would be better posted here or in ideas.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I moved that from bug reports to suggestions, cause a bug is, when something doesn't work, as it should, but this works.

And to come to the theme: This problem with the Q-key is just one out of a list. In general I think the whole inventory is a mess and needs complete rework. :)

Just to say some:
- Very ugly behaviors, when the inventory is full and you can't do anything anymore. (if you don't have a chest or something, where you can put a stack in near you need to get rid of one stack either by building a chest or placing a stack of items on ground (Z-key).
- The belt-reservation works not as expected.
- It's difficult to see, how much items you have left in total.
- I want to select an item-type and not a stack.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Khyron
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khyron »

@ssilk
D: Really? I didn't think it was that bad. When your inventory is full you have problems, but I can't imagine what the game should do differently. Do you have some ideas?

I haven't had problems with belt reservation. How do you mean it doesn't work as expected? I'm also not sure what you mean by you want to select an item type not a stack. Select for what?

Being able to see a total for items would be good. That and auto-refilling the toolbar from the smallest stack in your inventory on Q would be nice improvements. Other than those two I'm pretty happy with inventory management and I can't really imagine any other improvements.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ideas: Oh, there are many. My favorite is to have an inventory. What you have then in hand or in your tool belt etc. is not a real stack, but a link to it.

Select for what: I want to select a stack to built with it of course. Toolbelt-reservation doesn't work well, if you use sometimes the mouse, then keys, then drag and drop and so on.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

theit8514
Inserter
Inserter

Post by theit8514 »

Thanks ssilk.

One additional thing for this: if I have some underground belts in my main inventory, and an open slot on my toolbar, mining underground belts places them on my toolbar instead of combining with the stack in my inventory. Noticed this while cleaning up sections of my base.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”