Transport Belt / Inserter Creation changes.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Tyrithe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Transport Belt / Inserter Creation changes.

Post by Tyrithe »

Basically I was thinking that might be better to have Belts & Inserters use upgrade type items.
For example just have an upgrade item which will turn a standard belt into an express.
But said item would also do splitters and under-ground belts(requiring one for each square).

As it stands mods that add new types of belt or inserts increase the amount of menu items for these two categories by almost 3-4 as much.

As for installation pains for using items on belts/inserters I imagine they could be used similar to repair packs.
Stored in some kind of inventory so you get both back when you demolish them.

A change like this I imagine wouldn't be much use to many other building types.

If you added a config screen along with the inventory to inserters we could cut them down by another half by allowing us a selection of what side of belt to take from.. Closest, furthest and either.

I feel it's incredibly strange to craft an entire new belt/inserter out of an old one instead of just 'upgrade' the motor on the current item. Don't know if anyone else feels the same though.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Cybernetic modules and frames

Post by ssilk »

I was also thinking about something like that.

The problem I have is I need to think for so many different items and I need them in masses to built an outpost. The problem is not that the many item types that exists, but to carry them around and you need to switch back and forth between them, this distracts very strong and if one is missing you need to walk back.

So we have 9 different items of belts, 4 different inserters, and 8 or 9? Types of chests, where 4 are essential.
And so on.

Around the half of my inventory is full with that double/triple items, which are quite indifferent, but needed.

I have no better solution than that to create a parallel way of crafting stuff:

- you need the basic frame plus something inside n-times. For example: a inserter frame plus cybernetic-module = basic inserter; frame plus two cybernetic modules = fast or long arm; inserter plus three cybernetic modules = smart inserter
- it can exist in parallel to the current "completed" items.
- it's of course more expensive to build like that.

With this it's possible to reduce the stuff you need to carry around to 1/3 or so:
- the frames for belts, inserters, chests, assemblies/chemical plant, and what's also useful. Perhaps we can build everything from cybernetic modules, if we have researched it? But this last one is just a stupid idea. :)
- the cybernetic modules

Again, I suggest just a second type of crafting (!) items, call it recipes. This way is more expensive, but gives you much more freedom for special tasks, like crating outposts.

Edit: I forgot upgrading. Make a basic belt to a fast belt: insert 2-4 cybernetic modules. Make it to an express belt: another 5-10 cybernetic modules (the numbers is balancing, it's just how it can work).
The other way (removing cybernetic modules to have a less advanced item) is not possible, cause this can be cheated then and the technology works somehow like "smelting" into the frame and so is not removeable.

Ah, yes, the second advantage to this tech is it's speed. You can craft it really fast, because it is somehow "self-crafting". I think to 2 items per second. Again: it's needs a lot more resources, but the target is to gain building speed by making the things easier.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Tyrithe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Transport Belt / Inserter Creation changes.

Post by Tyrithe »

I don't think that's much different from what I was thinking.
Basically I was just thinking of it as upgrade units.

Another new item - Logic Chip. To be used as a inventory screen upgrade like modules.
Basically it will unlock options for filtering or doing any of the logic from the seperate items.

Chests could be solved easily by just changing them to be a frame then you insert a material for said frame to use to choose a size.
As for smart chests, Logic chip installed as well.

Cutting down belts to 3 types and inserters down to one type.

As for not being able to recover the items, I don't understand when you say it can be cheated. You'll have to explain more.
Removing the parts would just make it back into a basic belt or inserter.
Being able to pick up your base and move it is kind of important I think.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Tyrithe wrote:I don't think that's much different from what I was thinking.
That's the reason, why I added my suggestion to yours.
As for not being able to recover the items, I don't understand when you say it can be cheated. You'll have to explain more.
Removing the parts would just make it back into a basic belt or inserter.
Well, you have then two ways to create items:
- like currently
- like described here. But that costs more.

So logically: if you create for example a smart inserter it costs let's say 50 iron and 30 copper. But if you create the smart inserter via frame and logic chip/cybernetic module, it will cost in total much more ... Let's say 100 iron and 60 copper.

So you can cheat it by producing express belts, place them and then taking out the modules/chips, because there is no difference between inserter build with the old receipt or inserters with new recipt.
Being able to pick up your base and move it is kind of important I think.
I think we speak of completely different things. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Tyrithe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tyrithe »

ssilk wrote: I think we speak of completely different things. :)
I just didn't understand what you meant. :P

Anyway. I thought you meant as an entirely alternative style of building anything. Not having them working along side each other.. Haha.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”