[kovarex] [16.2] can't configure combinators with disable_recipe_groups

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[kovarex] [16.2] can't configure combinators with disable_recipe_groups

Post by quyxkh »

Quickest way to start: start factorio fresh, start a new all-tech sandbox game, do
`/c game.player.disable_recipe_groups()`, craft a combinator, click a signal slot to get this:
Screenshot from 2017-12-13 21-47-05.jpg
Screenshot from 2017-12-13 21-47-05.jpg (98.17 KiB) Viewed 3317 times
Reenable recipe groups, configure a slot, disable groups, try to configure a slot, now it will show only the last group you had up. Quit the map but not the game, start a new map, you're still stuck on on that group: retrying the above sequence will get different results now.

I'd be okay with just living with recipe groups except that with them ctrl-F to find things is by my lights broken:

With recipe groups, type e^Frret and you don't see turrets unless you had the military tab open last craft/pick, type e^Feac and you can't see all the reactors, what you see, if anything, just "depends", and not on what you're looking for.

But when you disable recipe groups, even with major expansions like bob's just about everything has a convenient left-hand-only e^F sequence that gets what you want sitting pretty for a quick and predictable click, everything committable to muscle memory.

Why should navigating search results depend on what you did ten minutes ago, possibly in another map? My answer: it shouldn't. That's why I dislike recipe groups. It's hard to appreciate just how much of a burden they impose until you've got some practice with the better way. Please don't take that away.

edit: I learned the config file still has the use-item-groups option, but setting that false by edit overrides the enable/disable api effects, with results you can predict: you can't configure combinators at all. Also, cleaned up the wording some, "group" not "page" and bug reproduction properly uses combinator slots not crafting.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [kovarex] [16.2] can't configure combinators with disable_recipe_groups

Post by kovarex »

I fixed it for 0.16.3

P.S. There is this feature where it remembers the last active Group, we might consider to make an option to disable this feature if some people find it too annoying.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

kovarex wrote:I fixed it for 0.16.3

P.S. There is this feature where it remembers the last active Group, we might consider to make an option to disable this feature if some people find it too annoying.
If I'm running with groups, I actually like that memory feature, for instance if you're setting fluid tank signals you want to have fluid signals sitting pretty for selection.

rorror
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rorror »

kovarex wrote: P.S. There is this feature where it remembers the last active Group, we might consider to make an option to disable this feature if some people find it too annoying.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=54638&p=322533#p322533

If this option to disable the feature would be active. Would it then be possible to search in all item cat/groups and see all the results from all cat/groups nomatter what tab you have active?

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

rorror wrote:
kovarex wrote: P.S. There is this feature where it remembers the last active Group, we might consider to make an option to disable this feature if some people find it too annoying.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=54638&p=322533#p322533

If this option to disable the feature would be active. Would it then be possible to search in all item cat/groups and see all the results from all cat/groups nomatter what tab you have active?
I think that might be best of all, I get the attraction of the tabs, I remember when the full list was just intimidating.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”