Ideas & Suggestions

Looking for a mod? Have a review on a mod you'd like to share?
drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Ideas & Suggestions

Post by drs9999 »

If you have additional ideas or suggestions in general leave it here.

aussiegaylord
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Ideas & Suggestions

Post by aussiegaylord »

you could add something, continuing with the farm theme, some other source of food or something or some other sort of plant that can be processed to help the player. like a special lubricant that can be used as a module for the coal conversion process?

slay_mithos
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by slay_mithos »

I'd link to link you to a thread that was about a suggestion that could really fit with your mod, with growing plants and making medicines out of them:

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=2882

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

Thanks for the link, I already read that topic.

That definitively sounds intresting and it was not the first time that something similar was suggested ( in general and/or according to the mod), but I will not do it...
I have several reasons for that, but the most important two are:

a) I do not get any good idea how the construction-chains can be look like, that includes a lot of stuff. How complex should it be? How many steps are necesary and is the end-product worth the effort, !!balancing!!, ect...

b) IMO all this stuff needs new buildings, it just seems illogical to manifacture biological stuff in e.g. the chemical plant which looks like that it produces enough toxic-stuff to flood the world with it in a couple of days.( Yes I know that I currently use it to produce medicine ;)) Anyway, if you use my other mods or at least have a look at the screenshots, it is quiet obvious how "great" I am at creating graphics. First I am simply not good at it and second it is no fun for me doing it. And so they results look like...

BUT instead I will do (and at least for me more intresting) the following:
I am going to add interfaces to enable other modders to interact with my stuff. You want to create coffee to boost the players working speed? No problem use the interface to tell the code that you want to grow coffee on the field. Or biological sleeping pills to skip the night? => Tell the mod to plant the needed ingredients on the fields.

At a first step I am going to add an interface for the quite recently added advanced field.
Does that sounds good for you? And more important is there at least a theoretical interest to create such add-ons?

slay_mithos
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by slay_mithos »

If you can manage to document it well, it could make it easy-ish to make addons, yes.

I personally don't see much point in drugs, because I barely even use medicine/fish, and usually make my factory do most of the work, but I definitely see the appeal such boosts can have.

I just thought that you, being a confirmed modder that proved to have a good sense of balance, would be one of our best bets at seeing such things done correctly.
Your plastic/medicine lines take a lot of space, time, and decent amount of resources, and your tree farming demands a lot of space to be able to compete with coal mining (for smelting or energy).
The seeds are also great for early wood in desert biomes, or later with blueprints and bots, if you want to plant forests to combat pollution.

If the only things blocking you were finding the balance and graphics, I'm sure we could work that out.
It seems like many people around have talent for graphics, so asking could net some decent results.
As for balance, we can always go for a "testing" version in order to get it right by trying.

I'm sure you have thought this out quite a bit though, and your interface might be enough to encourage people to make thing that grow in your field, because it seems to be the point that could be the most blocking for a lot of people.

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

First, thank you for all the compliments :D

I think a good approach to add a modinterface would be remove the current seeds from the mod and to deliver them as an add-on. Imo, that would be the best way to determine what informations are needed to make them working (just for testing-purpose of course, the seeds will be included in the "normal" releases).

But something else. Anyone tried the new farm yet? Imo, apart from that the output is too high (balancing this point will go hand in hand with adding the interface) I think it needs more tweaking. First of all it needs a option to be switched off. If you use logistic storage-chests for general purpose all the wood will block your whole system at some point. And second the used area in which you new seeds are planted should be adjustable. I am not entirely sure how I am going to implement these, but I can imagine to let an UI pop up if you click on a farm to make the adjustments. Or to use the farms inventory for that e.g. placing 1 stone into it means that seeds are only planted on tile away from the center, 2 stones means 2 blocks, 9 or more stones means that the entire area is used.

slay_mithos
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by slay_mithos »

I just did before going to bed yesterday, and I am sad to say I might not be using them too much.

It might not have anything to do with you, but each time a tree is marked as "deconstruct", it spams the yllow mark near the toolbar, saying that robots are missing something.

Apart from that, it has a second problem, in that it is impossible to tell it to top marking trees when the network contains N wood, like for smart inserters, for example.

It leads to construction bots being tied with wood and not knowing what to do after a while.

And lastly, you forgot "enabled=false" in your recipe for mk2, so it is unlocked from the start, and the associated research becomes useless.

I'm not sure about the range tweaking, it seems more fiddly than useful for me.

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

Do not be sad :D These are valid points.
Unfortunately, I am not sure how to deal with them, yet...

But I want to leave this here as a teaser:
teaser.png
teaser.png (476.83 KiB) Viewed 18258 times
The GUI pops up when you placed a new field.
Or if you click on it with a buildable item attached to your cursor. That means clicking on the field with empty cursor or e.g. coal opens the inventory of the field (like normal), but clicking on it with e.g an inserter or a transport belt opens the UI you can see in the screenshot.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

When the Russian version of the MOD will:?

Vitduo
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Vitduo »

Airat9000 wrote:When the Russian version of the MOD will:?
Никогда!
ΠŸΠ΅Ρ€Π΅Π²ΠΎΠ΄ ΡƒΠΆΠ΅ Π² ΠΊΠΎΠΌΠΏΠ»Π΅ΠΊΡ‚Π΅

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

Vitduo wrote:
Airat9000 wrote:When the Russian version of the MOD will:?
Никогда!
ΠŸΠ΅Ρ€Π΅Π²ΠΎΠ΄ ΡƒΠΆΠ΅ Π² ΠΊΠΎΠΌΠΏΠ»Π΅ΠΊΡ‚Π΅
ΠΊΠ°ΠΊ Π²ΠΊΠ»ΡŽΡ‡ΠΈΡ‚ΡŒ?

How to enable?

Vitduo
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Vitduo »

Airat9000 wrote: ΠΊΠ°ΠΊ Π²ΠΊΠ»ΡŽΡ‡ΠΈΡ‚ΡŒ?

How to enable?
Π’ΠΊΠ»ΡŽΡ‡ΠΈ русский язык Π² Ρ„Π°ΠΊΡ‚ΠΎΡ€ΠΈΠΎ. Π’ настройках посмотри. Или моТСшь ΠΏΠΎΠΏΡ€ΠΎΠ±ΠΎΠ²Π°Ρ‚ΡŒ ΡƒΠ΄Π°Π»ΠΈΡ‚ΡŒ ΠΏΠ°ΠΏΠΊΡƒ /Treefarm-mod/locale/en/ ΠΈ ΠΏΠ΅Ρ€Π΅ΠΈΠΌΠ΅Π½ΠΎΠ²Π°Ρ‚ΡŒ Ρ‚Π°ΠΌ ΠΆΠ΅ ΠΏΠ°ΠΏΠΊΡƒ ru Π² en, Π½ΠΎ ΠΌΠΎΠ³ΡƒΡ‚ Π±Ρ‹Ρ‚ΡŒ ΠΏΡ€ΠΎΠ±Π»Π΅ΠΌΡ‹ со ΡˆΡ€ΠΈΡ„Ρ‚Π°ΠΌΠΈ

slay_mithos
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by slay_mithos »

ok, this is nuts...

I know it's not given to everyone to write a correct english, but if we all just write in our language, it'll just make it all harder to understand to everyone.

I hope at least that drs9999 can read Cyrillic (russian?), because if he can't, then nearly two pages of "suggestions" are just spam...

Not what I came here to talk about though.
What I came for was to ask if it would be possible to have modules on the machine that makes coke coal (speed and productivity for me)?

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

slay_mithos wrote: Not what I came here to talk about though.
What I came for was to ask if it would be possible to have modules on the machine that makes coke coal (speed and productivity for me)?
You already can ;) Well at least you can use speed-modules. For me neither productivity-modules make (realistic) sense here, nor efficiency-modules. Last ones, because the energy consumption is tiny.

Bolland
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Bolland »

Hmm, I quite liked the hydroculture big pond structure, but I won't lose any sleep over it. For me, it meant a choice between a large area dedicated to organic plastic and smaller area of the oil industry limited by oil availability. It was like a mirror to the compact dirty steam engines vs big solar farms.

I would also like to see cookery recipes take a bit longer or work in smaller batches (most vanilla machines work with single pieces and only adjust the time). I feel that using the wood, charcoal or coal to fuel anything is very inefficient because it's so quick and requires almost nothing to change into coke (0.9s per item and 6W or total of 2.7s wood to coke). Maybe a steadily increasing time cost would be appropriate (wood-char 2s, char-coal 4s, coal-coke 8s per item)? That would provide an incentive to use it or take the time and space to improve it.

Another way to improve the cookery if you keep the batch size would be to make the recipe return (input - 1), to simulate using some of it to fuel the transformation process.

These are just small suggestions, of course, no pressure :)

bulldog98
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by bulldog98 »

First thanks for this mod.

Biomass plastic production seems somewhat to weak, since I need 3840 Biomassreactors to get 2 plastic/second

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

bulldog98 wrote:First thanks for this mod.
Biomass plastic production seems somewhat to weak, since I need 3840 Biomassreactors to get 2 plastic/second
Thanks for the suggestion, this will be adjusted in the next release.

haunted_1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by haunted_1 »

Seems like I still need an huge amount of bioreactor to produce a small amount of plastic... I think it would be great if its possible to put speed modules into the reactors! :idea:

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

Is there any way to disable missing bots warning from Field MK2. Right now I'vs got over 600 warnings (one from each tree) and it cause fps drop every second.

Slan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Slan »

Yes there is a way, don't use MK2, exept with dytech rubber that don't work with MK1, MK2 make a huge usage of our robots where there is almost no need. After a few try, even not with this "warning" i can't see any use of the MK2.

Any way, the way actually is to "USE" all the wood you make. Build a Log to Coal System, a Wood-Briquette/Packed Wood Briquette (Yuoki) or something similar. Eventually, reduce the size of your MK2 (replace it) to reduce your production.

Return to β€œQuestions, reviews and ratings”