Friday Facts #220 - The best Friday Facts ever

Regular reports on Factorio development.
mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #220 - The best Friday Facts ever

Post by mrvn »

Andrzejef wrote:
pieterhulsen wrote:I love everything about the artillery train except that you fire for free (...)
Oh, I'm pretty certain they will come up with some special shells for that.
I really hope so, in fact.
Standard, HE, Atomics, shrapnels, napalm... I need those, especially napalm ones. To purify the world once and for all :twisted:
Also, combine that with the locomotive roboport (cause I recall they saying they plan on making equipment slots on them), for its own turrets and capsules, and the train isn't all that defenceless :)
I want an onboard shell manufacturing processor for the vehicle grid. And it should use alien artefacts to build more shells, which it collects using it's vehicle roboport after firing. :)

ohmusama
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ohmusama »

Starfox wrote:But you can only order with paypal :-(
Or is this a firefox issue? Are there other payment methods?
I didn't see an alternative (Chrome)

I bought mine.

PunkSkeleton
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PunkSkeleton »

Are you aiming for friday release?

No, I didn't mean it's good to have a release on friday and therefore stay in the office for the weekend :).

Speadge
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Speadge »

pieterhulsen wrote:
Speadge wrote:
pieterhulsen wrote:I love everything about the artillery train except that you fire for free, building more than one just seems to destructive that way.
An upgraded thank shell with a stackload of 200 or so would be perfect.

and of course, now we need an gunn turret train :twisted:

who told u that the shells are free?
the friday facts did....

u better look for a better info instead of publishing FAKE-NEWS!
Twinsen wrote:Regarding the artillery wagon feeling OP, we kind of wanted it that way. It's end game research, plus the shells are quite expensive. It also makes biters come running towards it, so it needs some good routes or defended stops.

shadetheartist
Inserter
Inserter

Post by shadetheartist »

tekbot wrote:I know the gui update was pushed to 0.17, but what about the trains "temporary stop" mechanic mentioned in https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-212 ?
Control-clicking on any point on the locomotive's map (or any station) will add a 'Temporary stop' to it's schedule.
It sounds a little pointless to implement this before reworking the whole train ui, but it could also be a very valuable feature, especially with the artillery train.

typically i keep a few "taxi" trains around the base. they have a deleted station in their list and can be "called" by placing a station of that name, but being able to send trains anywhere on the track sounds much cooler.
Why dont you just keep a train on you? Thats waaay easier.

evopwr
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by evopwr »

oh no!! I'm waiting for another games massive release in 2 days. Now I have to make decisions! argh!!!
(seriously, thanks tho guys, I'm super excited!!!)

QGamer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by QGamer »

shadetheartist wrote:
tekbot wrote:typically i keep a few "taxi" trains around the base. they have a deleted station in their list and can be "called" by placing a station of that name, but being able to send trains anywhere on the track sounds much cooler.
If I need a train, I simply steal the one that's going the closest to where I want to go and use manual mode. Although, I don't really have enough trains to make crashes a big issue...
"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."

silver_26
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by silver_26 »

YEA BEST FFF sinds nuclear :P
and i cant wait to shoot some bitters with the new train wagon...
can i suggest a turret wagon aswell maby with normal bullets
or maby a laser wagon to protect the train from close combat ? ( read next part )

I don't know how far the artilety wagon is... but if 17.5 chunks is the max range ...
is there a minimum or can it shoot bitters, I mean if the barrel is 10 meters long... can it shoot bitters 5 meters away also ?
( that would be under the barrel ) and maby the game crashes then.... ( I'm not a programmer... just a idea / problem that I see )
and maby 17.5 chunks is a nice range for end level...
maby you can make a research for it... extended range
standard is 8 chunks
first research is 10 chunks
tier 2 research 12 chunks and so on...
so we get to use the military science a but more aswell...

I cant wait for the release
keep up the awesome work

Andrzejef
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Andrzejef »

Well, all is the matter of the right angle. If the barrel points vertically, straight up, it could even shot itself :)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Andrzejef wrote:Well, all is the matter of the right angle. If the barrel points vertically, straight up, it could even shot itself :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIcridwkd1Q
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Time to invade some biters!
Click me

tekbot
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by tekbot »

shadetheartist wrote:
tekbot wrote:...
QGamer wrote:
shadetheartist wrote:...
If I need a train, I simply steal the one that's going the closest to where I want to go and use manual mode. Although, I don't really have enough trains to make crashes a big issue...
Becasue my taxi trains have a cargo wagon of frequently used resources, (walls,bots, turrets, poles) that refills at the main base.
And my normal trains around base are something like 2-4 (or 2-4-2, depends) and a royal pain to drive manually.

Ive seen circuit network solutions on reddit and elsewhere, enabling a station when a player is near. but if you want to send trains somewhere you need to enable stations remotely and it quickly gets impractical.

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

Love it!
Now the waiting is nearly over!
Time to hoard snacks, cause I'm gonna need 'em! :D
Gonna start playing again with 0.16 build.
That's all.

Yaua
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Yaua »

Really, really kind from you to propose 0.16 for Christmas holidays :)
That's a lot of work, but I personally (and a lot of others too) really appreciate, so thank you very much for this gift :D I really can't wait to play it, it's really awesome ! :D

Tricorius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tricorius »

DerGraue wrote:I wonder, is there a reason why you devs don't give us artillery turrets with larger range, but suddenly you throw that monster at us?
Because a train car with an artillery launcher wins? Much more satisfying than artillery turrets. :) However I now want to build my railroads to anticipate more than 1-4-1’s.

shadetheartist
Inserter
Inserter

Post by shadetheartist »

tekbot wrote:
shadetheartist wrote:
tekbot wrote:...
QGamer wrote:
shadetheartist wrote:...
Becasue my taxi trains have a cargo wagon of frequently used resources, (walls,bots, turrets, poles) that refills at the main base.
And my normal trains around base are something like 2-4 (or 2-4-2, depends) and a royal pain to drive manually.

Ive seen circuit network solutions on reddit and elsewhere, enabling a station when a player is near. but if you want to send trains somewhere you need to enable stations remotely and it quickly gets impractical.

I love the cargo wagon idea! It would be cool if the logistic robots pulled out of the wagon too, im sure theres a mod for that.

I was thinking though, just place 1 a train engine and scoot around and then remove it after. Thats what i do, since my network doesn't have enough traffic for me to just wait to grab a passing train.

Tricorius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tricorius »

I have construction trains serving the exact same purpose. But I just generally plop down a new station, name it something catchy, and use the trains UI to hijack a construction train. The new stops functionality would definitely be simpler though.

shadetheartist
Inserter
Inserter

Post by shadetheartist »

Tricorius wrote:
I have construction trains serving the exact same purpose. But I just generally plop down a new station, name it something catchy, and use the trains UI to hijack a construction train. The new stops functionality would definitely be simpler though.
If you name it something like A1 or something that would otherwise be at the top of an alphabetical sort, the new train stop would be super easy to find.

cappie
Inserter
Inserter

Post by cappie »

Thank you guys, love you guys! Have a nice holiday and THANK YOU FOR OUR EARLY XMAS PRESENT!!!!

stretch611
Inserter
Inserter

Post by stretch611 »

So, with the expectations of 0.16 coming out this week...

Is the current version of the Roadmap accurate?

I know you mentioned the terrain generation and cliffs being part of it earlier in this thread.

With all the excitement of the Artillery Train, I would expect that too...

What about the belt optimizations? are they going in? And specifically with that if you can, are the belt optimizations just UPS improvements, or does this also include the enhancement to fully saturate a belt without the need to insert on to undergrounds belts?

Return to “News”