Friday Facts #220 - The best Friday Facts ever

Regular reports on Factorio development.
aRatNamedSammy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #220 - The best Friday Facts ever

Post by aRatNamedSammy »

whao!! :o NICE TRAIN!! :D
i want t-shirts too, i bet you will sale all t-shirt before end of week! :lol:
Teeth for Two (so sorry my bad english)

thecatlover1996
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by thecatlover1996 »

aRatNamedSammy wrote:i want t-shirts too, i bet you will sale all t-shirt before end of week!
My guess will be before the end of the day that they will put the store online :lol:

What I'm wondering: in the image on tile transitions in the FFF, the path tiles were laying adjacent to the water. Does that mean it will finally be possible to construct a path directly next to water? :)
Image from the FFF

sutech
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sutech »

:shock: nice job, cant wait next week :)
Relationship: In love with FactoriO :P :D

The Eriksonn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Eriksonn »

Damn, this means i need to start playing again to have my factory ready with all the things i need for this awesomeness.

It is a railworld aswell. :twisted:

MarvinCZ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MarvinCZ »

It looks like it fires only when the train stops.
Would't it be cool if there was an animation of retracting a supporting legs?
It would make perfect sense for such a gun.

PunkSkeleton
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PunkSkeleton »

Indeed, best FF ever!

I know it will be playable, I believe in you guys. And most importantly if it is not then you'll fix it in a few days or even hours :) .

commandoby
Inserter
Inserter

Post by commandoby »

What kind of artillery shells?

Sonik-HSC
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Sonik-HSC »

Hello that is great news ;-) The Rseding will be a slave for the bug... lol ;-) Well an experimental release for the alpha release just sound estrange... :-) The artilary wagen is very nice... But the " CONCRETE FLOR" is extremely ugly Im expecting waste resorces if we walk in that concrete and damage our veicles just by step in the concrete flor... ;-) the concrect of the version 0.15 is better. But the game with more than 150 bugs solved it will be more than playable.... For version 0.17 it will be expected feature like " new water design " Keep the nice work and Happy Christmas and very good new year to every one....

promaty
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by promaty »

How will this be balanced? What is preventing a player from carrying artillery wagon in their own inventory and just placing it wherever with 3 rail segments?

Perhaps this could be balanced by not allowing carrying of artillery shells in your inventory such that you always have to drive the train from your shell assemblers.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

Awesome news, as usually.

I agree with people who said the artillery should have much slower firing rate.
I also hope that the "agro range" of the train is big. Perhaps even bigger than the shooting range of the train. With that, the train wouldn't be quite the "i win" option some seem to think. Having alien bases from, say 700 tile radius send *all* their biters at you isn't really that easy to deal with.
promaty wrote:How will this be balanced? What is preventing a player from carrying artillery wagon in their own inventory and just placing it wherever with 3 rail segments?
What would the player do after getting the shots off and having half the map chase after them?

sxuz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by sxuz »

;D THANK YOU SO MUCH ... MY XMAS Holiday Social Life is over

LittleMikey
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by LittleMikey »

As a lover of trains and artillery I am so happy to see the railway gun! I just hope it's very slow firing, because something like that would not be capable of rapid fire. I foresee a situation where you drive your train out to the firing location, build a bunch of turrets to protect your train, and then sit back and watch as the artillery slowly obliterates everything and draws biters from miles around.

meganothing
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by meganothing »

hoho wrote:...
I also hope that the "agro range" of the train is big. Perhaps even bigger than the shooting range of the train. With that, the train wouldn't be quite the "i win" option some seem to think. Having alien bases from, say 700 tile radius send *all* their biters at you isn't really that easy to deal with.
What would the player do after getting the shots off and having half the map chase after them?
Well, not build the train at all, obviously. Remember the artillery train should feel like an upgrade not an expensive mistake ;)

mathturtle
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mathturtle »

Artillery train with range of 500+ tiles! 0.16 next week! Thank you devs! I can't wait to see what else you've included in 0.16. Keep up the good work!

promaty
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by promaty »

hoho wrote:
promaty wrote:How will this be balanced? What is preventing a player from carrying artillery wagon in their own inventory and just placing it wherever with 3 rail segments?
1) Drive a car into enemy territory
2) Place an artillery and kill some nests
3) Pack the train and drive away
4) Repeat

This will also be very problematic in PVP mode I imagine. If a player is forced to actually ride the train and the biters destroy the rail in the last firing location this would be much more interesting.

Another way to balance would be very long time required to take the artillery wagon off the ground.
Last edited by promaty on Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by irbork »

You are the best devs ever. Holidays with Factorio sounds great.
It's daring to release experimental so close to Christmas. Can only say one thing, RESPECT!

If anyone can launch experimental update and make it playable for fans in a jiffy it's you guys.

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

Sooo... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ... How about tactical nuke rounds for the beast? :twisted: :twisted:

https://youtu.be/XT5jo7aZzTw?t=32s

Hazard
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hazard »

Well now, this looks interesting. I've a few questions and suggestions though.

First, as others have noted, the firing speed for the artillery wagon is ridiculously fast. It makes the train without a doubt the best option to clearing new expansion areas if you can afford it, especially with the massive range that's available.
Second, IRL big guns like this don't have a shell mated to the propellant charge the way modern day tank cannons and bullets are. This makes it possible to vary cost in part by distance of the shot by making propellant bag requirements depend on how many chunks or tiles are traveled by the shell.
Third, how do you call down an artillery strike? Is it just point and click, or is there an item you need to hold to make it happen?
Fourth, how long does the call for artillery last? Can I just have a single artillery train roam around the defense lines of a massive base and expect it to attend every call as it moves around? Or does it lapse eventually?
Fifth, what's the logistics profile like? I'd prefer if the artillery wagon itself has very limited storage space and you need to move shells and propellant from trailing wagons with either robots or belts. Inconvenient to set up, but with blueprints it'd be easy to copy and paste artillery positions anyway.

promaty
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by promaty »

It will also interesting to see what is the price of making the shells. Will this make nuclear weapons obsolete?

basementjack
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by basementjack »

Truly is the best friday facts ever!

I'm traveling next week when t-shirts go on sale, will you order more if these sell out?

Return to “News”