Having to repeat the first command bugs me.

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Having to repeat the first command bugs me.

Post by Gergely »

In order to find a good map, I do the following:
-Generate a new map
-Command: /c game.player.force.chart(game.player.surface,{{x = -4048, y = -4048}, {x = 4048, y = 4048}})
-Repeat the command. :x
-Look into the map view: notice that the map is being revealed in a spiral fashion
-If map is good
--save it into an autosave, then check the exchange string. (I want to get achievements while I play, so I have to recreate the map)
-If map is not good
--restart the map
--repeat

:arrow: Now I have to enter the same command TWICE every single time... because the game requires confirmation. Even though I use Ctrl+C I still haven't figured out how to skip that step. It annoys me because entering that command takes four key presses which are then have to be repeated. (Programmers usually know how uncomfortable is that.) I don't see any reason to ask for confirmation. I'm confident no one has ever entered a command accidentally during an achievement run. And even if someone does, you can always load an autosave anyway. :|

EDIT: The underlined part is why I made this topic in the General Discussions. Now it's clear that for some, even the warning is not enough. I made a suggestion about making the warning appear only once here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54455
Last edited by Gergely on Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Having to repeat the first command bugs me.

Post by torne »

Players who have never entered a lua command before likely appreciate the warning that it will disable achievements, because they don't necessarily know that's the case at all. Maybe it could just keep track in global game settings of whether you've been warned before, so it doesn't tell you in every new game?

Dysan27
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dysan27 »

The Inital Scan mod might help you then, it does the same thing automatically when you start a world.

Only down side is you have to manually update it to work with 0.15

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

torne wrote:Players who have never entered a lua command before likely appreciate the warning that it will disable achievements, because they don't necessarily know that's the case at all. Maybe it could just keep track in global game settings of whether you've been warned before, so it doesn't tell you in every new game?
Completely disabling it after you'be been warned before only once might not be useful for casual players who might have forgotten about that since the last time they played or didn't notice it properly.

One option would be to only show the warning once after the game was started, so if you generate several maps and execute commands it only shows the warning on the first map.
Or it could be a global configuration value that stores when the player was last warned and only shows the warning again after x days, that way it would persist through restarts.
Gergely wrote:It annoys me because entering that command takes four key presses which are then have to be repeated.
A quick way to repeat the last command is [Console key] [UP key] [Enter key].
Similar to other consoles/shells Factorio remembers the last few entered commands (this is savegame-independent) and you can use the UP and DOWN keys to browse through them.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by d3x0r »

also for exploring map seeds.
/c game.speed=20

I will also note, you don't have to enter the same command again. I've quite often entered the player charge command, and just double arrowed up to do /c game.speed and the game speed takes even though the map reveal command doesn't.

It's really 'do another command' not repeat the command.

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

If automatically disabling it after the first time isn't good, there should be an option in general settings.

Daid
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Daid »

The console has history right? You can just press [up]+[enter] to resend it...

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

daniel34 wrote:One option would be to only show the warning once after the game was started, so if you generate several maps and execute commands it only shows the warning on the first map.
That's good enough... will it going to "happen"?

Dreepa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dreepa »

Erm... Isn't it a simple CTRL+V ?

I do not understand the issue here. Are you really upset about having to do CTRL+V two times? Or what am I misunderstanding here...? oO

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

Dreepa wrote:Erm... Isn't it a simple CTRL+V ?
I do not understand the issue here. Are you really upset about having to do CTRL+V two times? Or what am I misunderstanding here...? oO
This makes no sence after getting used to not having to repeat the first command back when this warning was not implemented. I literally don't see why it was implemented in a way that it slows down the whole process.

Speaking of the process, this is what I do:(The command is on the clipboard of course.)
-open console
-Ctrl+V
-Enter
-open console (again)
-Ctrl+V (again)
-Enter (again)

If you don't agree, try it. Try doing it for about two minutes, and you figure how annoying this extra factor is.

zx64
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by zx64 »

Another option specific to not having to repeat yourself is to use a non-freeplay scenario (e.g. sandbox), since you can't get achievements in those even without using commands.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Type
Enter
Up!
Enter.

Pretty simple.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

zx64 wrote:Another option specific to not having to repeat yourself is to use a non-freeplay scenario (e.g. sandbox), since you can't get achievements in those even without using commands.
You can only extract the map seed/exchange string if you use freeplay. I made that mistake before. Hopefully you don't.
bobucles wrote:Type
Enter
Up!
Enter.
Pretty simple.
I know that trick. It's a long shortcut. It's neither pretty nor better. I guess this one is keyboard and finger specific opinion. I still have to press enter and it's not comfortable right after pressing up.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Well lots of forum threads from people complaining about how they they didn't realise using console commands disabled achievements is also a problem. The type command <enter> <up arrow><enter> thing is only once per game, so is at most only a minor nuisance.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

Zavian wrote:Well lots of forum threads from people complaining about how they they didn't realise using console commands disabled achievements is also a problem. The type command <enter><up arrow><enter> thing is only once per game, so is at most only a minor nuisance.
Once per game?! I have to check it out if it's the case in 0.15.40...

..nope, it still applies every time I start( or restart) freeplay. Sorry you did not help at all. Did you ever read the topic header? About what am I doing? I keep restarting the map, and it always asks me to repeat myself.

If many people don't realise that using console commands disables achievements even after the game warns them, (basically in every version that supports achievements) then what is the point of the warning anyway?

It was never really usefull for me, because I was already assuming that cheating does something with achievements.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

I don't see what conclusion of this topic could satisfy you. It sounds like you want something changed, so why not make a feature request in Ideas and suggestions? If you make a topic In General discussion you will get other peoples opinion and nothing more.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Gergely wrote:About what am I doing? I keep restarting the map, and it always asks me to repeat myself.
So maybe in 0.16 you won't have to keep restarting the map

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

I have read the whole thread. I read it when it was first posted. But I replied to your previous comment without re-reading the thread, so I'll admit that I had forgotten the context in your first post from 4 months ago. Thank you for the polite reminder to re-read it. (It annoys me when people get snarky without a good reason).

On the subject of polite reminders, you do understand that when you press restart, you are actually starting a new game? (I can do snarky too).

Maybe a workaround for your issue is to use a mod like https://mods.factorio.com/mods/zzZombie/ScanNewWorld . With any luck that way you won't need to use a console command.

There were forum threads before the warning was implemented where people used lua commands to change player color (viewtopic.php?f=49&t=27376) or check evolution (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29709) without realising that they would disable achievments. If you were 200+ hours into a game, and accidentally disabled achievements because you used the /command for something like that, it could be very frustrating.

I do agree that changing the warning to only once per session (as Daniel34 suggested) would be reasonable, but ultimately it is up to the devs.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

Made it into a Suggestion: :oops: (duh)
:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54455

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

This is probably one of those situations where a "require console confirmation" makes a good game option. It's really a noob safety device more than anything. Once a player gets experienced enough they don't need it anymore.

Return to “General discussion”