Option for trains to deal zero damage to players

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Dreepa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Option for trains to deal zero damage to players

Post by Dreepa »

I am playing with some friends and they keep hating my trains cause they sometimes dont watch the train and get killed.

Maybe it could be an idea for a setting, so that its less of a risk for others?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Option for trains to deal zero damage to players

Post by Koub »

I don't think it should be "optionnable". My feeling is this belongs to mod realm.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

This is one of those options that would detract from the experience. Half of the fun of trains is slowly developing PTSD every time a choo choo flies by.

Dreepa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dreepa »

Koub wrote:I don't think it should be "optionnable". My feeling is this belongs to mod realm.
Well, that is why it would be an option. So it does not influence your experience the way you want it.

Some also play with aliens, others play without. Some like expanding aliens that attack you early, others like them passive to have something to shoot, and again others want a peaceful world where you cannot die.
The game is already 100% sandbox with all those options to customize your difficulty level and threat. It would be just consistent to add an option about train death.

bobucles wrote:This is one of those options that would detract from the experience. Half of the fun of trains is slowly developing PTSD every time a choo choo flies by.
How would it detract from the experience, if it is in your hands how to toggle the option? I don't understand.
For my friends I am playing multiplayer with, they would argue the opposite: It detracts from the experience of logistics to re-craft all your equipment every once in a while, because you didn't pay 100% attention. They like to build. Not to watch their steps. Factorio is not really a twich based game that is about situational awareness. If this was a shooter game, ok. But this is a build-up game.
Anyway, the outcome of our discussion was: I deleted my trains. And we used conveyor belts.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

How would it detract from the experience, if it is in your hands how to toggle the option? I don't understand.
Uh. Maybe you should stop standing on train tracks and blaming the result on the train?
It detracts from the experience of logistics to re-craft all your equipment every once in a while, because you didn't pay 100% attention.
Your body exists (for a few minutes, it should last longer) and keeps all its loot including the armor. Death is a minor inconvenience in Factorio, unless you die really far from spawn without a rail line.

Anyway have some Xterminator love. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2M8WrEtosI

Dreepa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dreepa »

bobucles wrote:
Uh. Maybe you should stop standing on train tracks and blaming the result on the train?
How is that response in context to the quote?
Also, no one is blaming anything here. oO :?:

But I ll try your style:

"Uh. Maybe you should stop answering to threads that you have nothing to contribute to, and blame it on the thread?"

zx64
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by zx64 »

Train damage to players counts as a form of friendly fire, which can be disabled with a console command:

Code: Select all

/c game.player.force.friendly_fire = false
(this has other side effects like not taking any damage from AoE weapons like grenades or nukes and you'll still take damage from biters)

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

if your friends aren't learning to not stand on tracks when a train is coming, maybe find some smarter friends?
or give them enough shields and keep train size down so they can survive a hit.

Dreepa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dreepa »

impetus maximus wrote:if your friends aren't learning to not stand on tracks when a train is coming, maybe find some smarter friends?
Sure, I will change my friends based on a computer game. What the fuck is wrong with people here? It is insane. So much self-eccentric bullshit.
People must be really frustrated in life if they waste their time with such spam.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

well just giving my opinion. i don't think we should make smarter devices for dumb people.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Seriously either use the console command someone provided earlier, or find a mod that allows you to disable friendly fire, and gives you the same effect. You could also enable https://wiki.factorio.com/Console#Enable_god_mode . You can get there without console commands via play->scenarios->sandbox. Never tried playing that way in multiplayer, but it is available.

As for this becoming a game option I agree with Koub. Not everything a player might want to tweak should have a UI button in the standard game. That way lies a UI with far too many options for new players.

Dreepa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dreepa »

Zavian wrote:Seriously either use the console command someone provided earlier, or find a mod that allows you to disable friendly fire, and gives you the same effect. You could also enable https://wiki.factorio.com/Console#Enable_god_mode . You can get there without console commands via play->scenarios->sandbox. Never tried playing that way in multiplayer, but it is available.

As for this becoming a game option I agree with Koub. Not everything a player might want to tweak should have a UI button in the standard game. That way lies a UI with far too many options for new players.

So you would also remove the many other options? I always thought Factorio is such a nerd game, that people love exactly that. What "casual gamer" type would buy this game anyway?
(BTW: I am using the console command, and I thank the corresponding person for that info).

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

So you would also remove the many other options?
No. But I don't think the developers should add a new option every time someone suggests that they would like to tweak something else. That way lies a UI with 100+ options, each of which are officially supported and needs to be considered when balancing, making changes to the UI or gameplay, and that adds to option overload for new players.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Try something like this. There also quite a few other variations on this.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

leitk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by leitk »

You could also try the Honk! mod, although that probably won't help much.
And the author doesn't intend to change it:
GotLag wrote:Victory horn. I don't think the train should honk until after it's run you over, as that would impede its primary function (which is running you over).

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Ok, lemme give an actually helpful-ish answer: Do you friends a favor and make some safe train crossings for them (Walls+signals/combinators/wiring) so they can cross without fear of becoming railkill. This is a classic example of problems that exist within factorio for which the solution also exists in factorio (imho, at least).

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

So much self-eccentric bullshit.
So like, try not to take F=ma so personally? Crying and getting mad won't change a basic (and quite enjoyable) application of physics and if it did I would have many words to say to flying spaghetti monsters about it.

A train that runs over players is intuitive. A train that stops on a dime for players is not. Intuitive game design is good. This does not belong as a vanilla option unless that option is total god/creative mode.

Dreepa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dreepa »

bobucles wrote:
So much self-eccentric bullshit.
So like, try not to take F=ma so personally? Crying and getting mad won't change a basic (and quite enjoyable) application of physics and if it did I would have many words to say to flying spaghetti monsters about it.

A train that runs over players is intuitive. A train that stops on a dime for players is not. Intuitive game design is good. This does not belong as a vanilla option unless that option is total god/creative mode.
First of all: Stop with the alternative facts. Nowhere I was crying, nowhere I was getting mad about the topic. I calmly and rationally explained it, and it even wasn't about me, but others that suffered from my railroad expansions. If you build the stuff yourself, you have a much higher awareness of it being there, while naturally stuff that others build is not memorized as well.
It was not until after the "I know it all and you suck, deal with it" crowd comes and ruins any constructive discussion you can have (on any matter).

Ontopic:
Nice cherry picking of total irrelevant criteria to a 2D puzzle game that is about building logistic networks.
Friendly fire is intuitiv in any shooter. Guess what. It is not always enabled.
Game design is about more than just abstracting reality. Often times projecting reality in a game actually leads to worse game-play and thus to less fun.

Realism != Fun
Last edited by Dreepa on Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Nice cherry picking of total irrelevant criteria to a 2D puzzle game that is about building logistic networks.
Please explain to the class how building a safe train network isn't a puzzle WITHOUT resorting to "the train touched me and it made me feel bad so please make the bad train go away".

Dreepa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dreepa »

bobucles wrote:
Please explain to the class how building a safe train network isn't a puzzle WITHOUT resorting to "the train touched me and it made me feel bad so please make the bad train go away".
Since when is the puzzle's punishment death? Also, what kind of puzzle challenge is placing miles upon miles of walls over and over around your tracks? I mean, okay, maybe it's a puzzle for you, I don't know your standards. For me it's a no brainer. Also, I never was feeling bad about anything. I just bring this up, as others were pissed of by my train network. I know, it might be hard for asbergers to deal with social dependencies and experiences of others. But maybe just try? Instead of imposing your (flawed) interpretation of my motives on me for the sake of being right?

But let's follow your logic:
Add death through electricity by touching electric assets.
Add death by getting squished in conveyor belts.
Add death through inserters smashing your head in when you are in the way.
Add death through radiation when near nuclear material.
Add damage of time and death by heat when standing in front of a blast furnace.

And that's just brainstorming. Probably many more "opportunities" for introducing "meaningful death mechanics" to the game to make it "a real puzzle challenge" right?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”