[MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Post by Earendel »

wvlad wrote:Can you please make snow biome not so bright? It hurts my eyes.
Ok.

Also, I was playing around with having a biome selection settings so you can choose what can and can't spawn in addition to planet temperature and humidity controls, but I couldn't get it working properly. Since FFF said they were working on a better system for biome placement I'm waiting to see what they change first.

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by abordoli »

Earendel wrote:
wvlad wrote:Can you please make snow biome not so bright? It hurts my eyes.
Ok.

Also, I was playing around with having a biome selection settings so you can choose what can and can't spawn in addition to planet temperature and humidity controls, but I couldn't get it working properly. Since FFF said they were working on a better system for biome placement I'm waiting to see what they change first.
Maybe some darker variants of snow (slush) and possibly "ice". Just don't mess with the "yellow snow" :P

Usul
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Usul »

Is it possible to reduce the rocky patches that appear scattered across all biomes? When zoomed out the same amoeboid shapes become clearly repetative imho.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Usul wrote:Is it possible to reduce the rocky patches that appear scattered across all biomes? When zoomed out the same amoeboid shapes become clearly repetative imho.
Yes, I will do that.

Chewster
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Chewster »

I'd like to thank you for making the mod - it really does make the world more immersive, and moreover lets us play around with other kinds of landscapes that the Factorio engine potentially could generate. I've done a kind of hatchet job at getting the "right feel" for the Red desert-Snow mod miturion made, removing the blue, teal, purple and magenta trees, and modifying the temperature range so as to get a much higher proportion of conifers and evergreens. The resulting map gets me somewhere near the terrain in Green Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. Now, if one could make ice-floes...

OldFritz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by OldFritz »

First off, thank you alot for this mod Earendel!

I enjoyed it very much on various 0.14 maps. And i will also enjoy it now on 0.15 maps! So, kudos to you.

Aaaaalthough... i must agree with Usul. The Rock veins/patches are waaaaay too much. Is it possible to adjust this maybe by oneself? I don't want to miss on alien biomes on any map, but this is really a bit overdone.

Do you maybe plan to integrate an adjustable mod-option for alien biomes?

Oneiros
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Oneiros »

This is a really beautiful mod, it makes the game so much nicer to look at. Love the colours and the style.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

I'm planning on adding controls to allow you to change the planet temperature and humidity ranges so you can alter biome distribution, tree density, opt out of some terrain types, etc. I made a start on that stuff but it's not working, since Factorio 0.16 will probably change the way that this will need to be done I'm going to wait for that release first. I'll update Alien Biomes to match any style 0.16 changes and incorporate any new biomes variants into a sensible distribution. HR textures will need to be removed from the base Alien Biomes mod and will be added to separate HR mod bundles otherwise it will exceed the mod portal download limit. This will probably be in the format alien-biomes-hr-grass-textures, alien-biomes-hr-desert-textures, etc, depending on texture sizes.

Jcewazhere
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Jcewazhere »

I absolutely love the snowy biome, gives me huge nostalgia pangs of playing Command and Conquer: red alert into the wee hours. Thanks a bunch.

Kilogold
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Kilogold »

Am I supposed to be getting bare patches of rock everywhere? They appear no matter what biome and no matter how many times I generate another world. In the same two recurring shapes, no less. They have undone any sense of variety.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Those will be reduced a lot in the next version.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

The new version is coming along. I've got most of the tile textures done and the overall biome distribution is pretty good. I'm currently working on the decoratives placement. Then I need to do new high-res tree textures.
dist.png
dist.png (341.25 KiB) Viewed 7334 times
It's also now possible to scale the biome distribution placement using a mod setting, so you can make biomes 100 times larger if you want.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Glad to see this is still being worked on and updated for 0.16. Thank you, Earendel.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

FuryoftheStars wrote:Glad to see this is still being worked on and updated for 0.16. Thank you, Earendel.
A lot of work has gone into this new version. Version 0.3.1 currently has 6197 files and 221 folders :shock: . I've had to split the hr terrain textures into a separate mod otherwise I won't be able to upload it to the mod portal.

I need to remake my custom trees for the snow and volcanic areas but then all the big stuff is done.

Once I've got the trees updated I'll upload a new version here for playtesting. If you test it don't commit to a full campaign because things will probably change before the proper release and that will mess up your map edges.

There are some things that will need to be improved, like general decorative density, new decoratives for the volcanic and frozen sections, that sort of thing, but that can wait a bit since adding them won't break the map.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Looking forward to it!
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

volcanic.png
volcanic.png (698.6 KiB) Viewed 7266 times

mbandoch
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mbandoch »

Hi, frist post here :D

Do you know if will be possible to upgrade a 0.15 version to 0.16? Or it will break the map?

Thanks, your mod is looking amazing :D

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Alien Biomes V0.3.1 for testing and feedback: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eGNWf ... mIUZWUwiSR

This version DOES NOT have ANY migration code yet so it will break existing maps. Updates in a few days will probably break the map again so do not start a proper campaign.

Please start a new map and give feedback on the new biomes and biome distrbution. I recommend setting peaceful mode and just exploring. Try a few maps because biomes can be huge.

There will be a link to the hr terrain textures later but that has not finished uploading.

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by abordoli »

So far...Im really impressed!

wimplaw
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by wimplaw »

Just tested a seed in Alien Biomes V0.3.1 the map spawned with beige sand and dustyrose sand biomes around spawn so i tried disabling those 2 biomes. When i tried to generate the same seed without those 2 biomes i got lots of small random biomes scattered around.
The size and frequencies settings for the biomes don't seem to work yet?
Also had to disable other mods that added tiles as the game couldn't load more then 255 tiles.

Return to “Mods”