Game is lacking sound effects. Here's some suggestions.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

b0bl00i
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Game is lacking sound effects. Here's some suggestions.

Post by b0bl00i »

Hello,

In order to make the game feel a bit more alive I suggest you add more sound effects:

Some of my ideas:

Dosimeter tick which increase / decrease when closing distance to nuclear power plant, uranium processing facility and uranium ore fields.
Humming sound from drones flying above , kind a like a jetson car
Wind noise
Improved sound effect when rocket is taking off (just listen to a couple of youtube clips of space shuttle launch)
Gun turret and laser turret sounds need a more beefy sound
Screeching alien sound when being attacked
Dynamic music (science complete, alien attack, rocket take off, achievement done etc)

Please add more if you agree.

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Game is lacking sound effects. Here's some suggestions.

Post by olafthecat »

Hmmm...good suggestions.
How about a splash sound when you catch a fish.
Gonna start playing again with 0.16 build.
That's all.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Interesting suggestions, however I'm worried about what would haooen in some of those bases with thousands of bots if you gave them a sound.
Last edited by Jap2.0 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

Personally I don't like sound effects that are useless, an alert going ping is fine when certain things happen, the sound of a train when close to a moving train great.

But proximity for things you already are 100% aware of or have no bearing on game play for ambience like a dosimeter clicking has no meaning in Factorio, it's super cool in fallout when radiation is the difference between life and death but here nope don't like it. Same goes for drone sounds, 90% of the time it'd end up just being noise.

Dynamic music seems cool, integrating subtle changes to the soundtrack based on in game events, except it's entirely possible some people replace the ambient music files with some playlists and that would mess with things so it'd need to be an option, right now I like the short alerty type sound effects for finish research and that when my rocket launches every 3/4 minutes I'm not interrupted by it

Maybe utility sound effects need an independent slider from ambient ones so we can both get what we like?

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

I love the idea of ambient music, make it happen! :)
JohnyDL wrote:Same goes for drone sounds, 90% of the time it'd end up just being noise.
I think that the drone sound could stack, but only up to a point.
This would mean that you wouldn't get just noise.
That's all.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

How about the rustling of leaves in a forest?

As for music... am i the only one that always turns off in-game music after at most 50h? A game can have the best music in the world, but it still gets annoying if you have to listen to it for for the hundredth time. Also with games like factorio/minecraft i often listen to podcasts while doing stuff. So, from my pov adding more music is wasted time/money.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

eradicator wrote:How about the rustling of leaves in a forest?

As for music... am i the only one that always turns off in-game music after at most 50h ?
Probably not. But I can assure you that there are people who will NEVER turn the music off (provided the music is pleasant and fits the game).
I find the music in Factorio is not present enough. There is (to my liking) too much "random ambient sound", and not enough real music.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Koub wrote:

As for music... am i the only one that always turns off in-game music after at most 50h ?
Probably not. But I can assure you that there are people who will NEVER turn the music off (provided the music is pleasant and fits the game).
I find the music in Factorio is not present enough. There is (to my liking) too much "random ambient sound", and not enough real music.
Well...then the important question is...what is the ratio between ppl who listen to the music and ppl who don't? :D A realistic guess considering newcomers etc is probably pretty much in favor of the "does listen" crowd.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

eradicator wrote:
Koub wrote:

Well...then the important question is...what is the ratio between ppl who listen to the music and ppl who don't? :D A realistic guess considering newcomers etc is probably pretty much in favor of the "does listen" crowd.
I have never turned it off, but that's largely because I never really notice the sound much - which could be a good thing or a bad thing. I think in this case it might be more of a bad thing.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

I do turn it off, often to play something else on youtube while I play.
The Cannery by Kevin Mcleod is pretty good.
So is his Gaslamp Funworks.
Pretty much any of his music is pretty good actually!
What's even better is that it is all Royalty free!
That's all.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”