I wish I had the money.

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Kyuubi43
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

I wish I had the money.

Post by Kyuubi43 »

I have and still play the demo. I've even tried the full version a friend owns. But I just don't make enough money to outright buy the game. i put it on my Steam wishlist months ago and have been waiting in hopes of a Steam Sale or something that will lower the price even a little. Honestly I'd love to throw money your way for this addicting game but sadly $20 is a bit rich for my poor behind.

Neemys
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: I wish I had the money.

Post by Neemys »

Kyuubi43 wrote:I have and still play the demo. I've even tried the full version a friend owns. But I just don't make enough money to outright buy the game. i put it on my Steam wishlist months ago and have been waiting in hopes of a Steam Sale or something that will lower the price even a little. Honestly I'd love to throw money your way for this addicting game but sadly $20 is a bit rich for my poor behind.
I understand your point, but for the time you will have with the game 20$ is worth it. Know that devs have stated that there will never be any sale so don't hope for it.
Want more space restriction ? Or maybe you want to be forced to use train for other thing than ore and oil ? Try Building Platform Mod !

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I do sympathize, depending on where you live, 20$ can be quite a lot.

Where I live, 20$ is :
- less than 2 tickets to the cinema
- half my Internet monthly subscription
- If I had a smartphone (which I don't), that's what one month subscription would cost me (on average)
- 1 day of food for my significant other and I
- The price of 3 cigarette packs (I don't smoke though)

For most people, it's mainly a matter of priorities, and the devs' work deserves these 20$
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Yes, the devs have stated that there will not be a sale. They consider it more fair if the game always costs the same amount instead of a higher price as a regular price and then a sale from time to time to compensate. I tend to agree with them.

So, the devs have stated that the price of the game will not go down. However, they have also stated that the price of the game may go up. Here is a quote from the Store Steam Page:
Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
“The price may be increased upon release from early access.”
Therefore, I'm afraid that, by waiting before you buy, you may suddenly notice that the price of the game has increased instead of decreased.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Tekky wrote:Yes, the devs have stated that there will not be a sale. They consider it more fair if the game always costs the same amount instead of a higher price as a regular price and then a sale from time to time to compensate. I tend to agree with them.

So, the devs have stated that the price of the game will not go down. However, they have also stated that the price of the game may go up. Here is a quote from the Store Steam Page:
Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
“The price may be increased upon release from early access.”
Therefore, I'm afraid that, by waiting before you buy, you may suddenly notice that the price of the game has increased instead of decreased.
Interesting - this is on their website as well. I've heard practically nothing about the price at 1.0, and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it stayed at $20 after 1.0.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

The way I look at it is this. Let's say you buy Grand Theft Auto for $30 on sale or whatever it's going for lately. You basically have a pile of bits. They might release an update now and then when microsoft or ATI breaks their game; eventually they'll stop even doing that and let it bit-rot.

Now say you buy Factorio for $20. The thing is playable for at least as many hours as Grand Theft Auto (even though GTA is freaking huge, it's finite and a lot of the things that make it huge are just textures and art. You'll almost certainly never learn a new mathematical concept that you simply can't wait to try applying to GTA. In factorio, if this doesn't happen, then you aren't learning enough math (or playing enough factorio :P)).

But more importantly, it's not finished. You have the opportunity to come onto these forums and bitch and moan about whatever is annoying you in the game and the actual developers will read it. If you're lucky, they might even implement your advice or at least give some thought to the issues you've raised. And even if you don't do anything like that, the game will continue expanding and adding new content for at least a year and probably more. Whereas in GTA any genuinely novel new content is going to be a DLC that you have to purchase separately.

That stated, $20 is $20. If you're broke enough that buying factorio would mean you couldn't keep you baby in diapers or something, then you are probably used to not getting all the stuff you want. Since you don't sound batshit crazy, there is a good chance that you will not always be as broke as you are now so just keep your nose to the grindstone and you'll probably find $20 of mad money sooner or later.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Jap2.0 wrote:Interesting - this is on their website as well. I've heard practically nothing about the price at 1.0, and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it stayed at $20 after 1.0.
I think it is pretty reasonable to assume the price will increase.
When I bought the game ~2.5 years ago it was only 13$. Some time after that (around the time multiplayer was introduced, I think? or maybe it was when it entered Steam?) it got bumped up to 20$
As more and more content gets added, and as it loses the "early-access" status, there may very well be another price increase.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

sillyfly wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:Interesting - this is on their website as well. I've heard practically nothing about the price at 1.0, and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it stayed at $20 after 1.0.
I think it is pretty reasonable to assume the price will increase.
When I bought the game ~2.5 years ago it was only 13$. Some time after that (around the time multiplayer was introduced, I think? or maybe it was when it entered Steam?) it got bumped up to 20$
As more and more content gets added, and as it loses the "early-access" status, there may very well be another price increase.
I'm guessing that you bought it back when there were tiers? Later (just before the Steam release, I believe) it was changed so that there was only one tier. I suppose the price increasing won't be too surprising, I'm just used to it being the game that always costs $20.00 :).
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

ledow
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ledow »

I always judge on "price per hour".

As far as I'm concerned, the value of Factorio is much greater than anything like GTA (which I played, completed, deleted), or most other things on Steam.

Some games are worth lots for only a few hours of content (e.g. Half-Life 2 when it first come out). Some aren't. But Factorio is relatively cheap compared to ANY console game, for instance, and gives a lot back - especially if you already know that you like the demo.

Put it on your Steam wishlist and ask for a Steam voucher for Christmas.

Rather than ask a developer to lose profit just for you, reward them for writing a game that you enjoy even the demo of. It that means you work an hour or two exclusively to give them that money, isn't that precisely the point? They've worked a lot more hours to bring it to you.

And $20 isn't very much at all. Seriously, I bet you have an item in your room that's worth $20 on eBay that you never use or don't actually want.

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OdinYggd »

You can buy games on steam using Bitcoin if you happen to have some.

Its only $20. A few hours doing yardwork for a little old lady is more than sufficient to earn what you need to pay for something like this. And with the holiday season closing in, almost all the major retailers in this area at least are signing on seasonal workers to meet holiday demand. You could get a part time job somewhere to pay for Factorio and other things you want.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

Sokan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Sokan »

You guys should read clearly. Yes, the devs deserve the money. The game ist worth it.

But not all countrys have the same money value. There are countrys where 20$ is the earning of a week. And i think thats the problem here, not that he doesnt want to pay it. He can't i think.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Sokan wrote:You guys should read clearly. Yes, the devs deserve the money. The game ist worth it.
But not all countrys have the same money value. There are countrys where 20$ is the earning of a week.
Steam prices are based on regional spending power and not exchange rate, so this argument is not valid: https://steamdb.info/app/427520/.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Loewchen wrote:
Sokan wrote:You guys should read clearly. Yes, the devs deserve the money. The game ist worth it.
But not all countrys have the same money value. There are countrys where 20$ is the earning of a week.
Steam prices are based on regional spending power and not exchange rate, so this argument is not valid: https://steamdb.info/app/427520/.
TBH, this is globally true, but even within the Euro zone, there are huge discrepancies in median income. My other significant half comes from Spain, and the extremely low salary she gets in France (according to France's Standards) would be decent in Spain. 20€ in France and 20€ in Spain are quite different things.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Kyuubi43
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Kyuubi43 »

My Grammar sucks and I am to lazy to proofread my post. Please forgive me.

Ultimately I was just stating a wish. Yes $20 dollars American is honestly not a lot of money. but Cost of Living is not cheap nor is the fact that most people (myself included) I know work 2 to 3 jobs and after paying all the bills and buying the food needed to survive another 2 weeks $60 dollars is normally what most have after that and have to make that last till next payday. Also the game being worth more than $20 dollars is a bit much. It's an indie game. Not only that it's been in 'Early Access' for quite a while. I've play every game i could get my hands on since the first Mac showed up in my school back in '92. I've watched this game over the years and for all the "development' i honestly haven't seen much change. at least not anything i didn't mod myself into the demo nor on my friends full version at his request.(Thank god for ADHD+Programming habits I gutted the Demo's code in a week out of ADHD Boredom fueled OCD. Still I HATE being that bored i do some really random things.)

while that went way off topic.....

ANYWAY all i really wanted is like a Black Friday sale or something. One sale a year wouldn't really kill their "profits" but i understand the Devs stance. Hopefully they won't pull the same move as the Ark Survival Crew as those guys' pulled a dick move.

i honestly posted this topic as i really couldn't put my real thoughts into proper words (still can't) and wanted to see if anyone else's words could help me workout the right way to go about putting my real topic forward. I was also bored when I posted this originally so choose a topic from one of my issues at random. Sorry.

Neemys
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neemys »

Kyuubi43 wrote: ANYWAY all i really wanted is like a Black Friday sale or something. One sale a year wouldn't really kill their "profits" but i understand the Devs stance.
It's not about profit. It's about fairness for customer that buy the game full price.

Talking about update, devs only do big update followed by bugfixes. There has been a big update early this year and the next big update coming in some months. Most feature have already been implemented. Apart from a thing or two it's only polishing that is left. If you read the weekly FFF you know that there are working on the game still even if update are quite separated in time.
Want more space restriction ? Or maybe you want to be forced to use train for other thing than ore and oil ? Try Building Platform Mod !

Zool
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zool »

I have bought the game more then 3 years ago at a state that was far from today - and never regretted it for a single second. Right now I‘m on something like 2000 hours played time in the game, and thanks to awesome modders like bob and many others, I‘ll probably keep playing it constantly until Factorio 2.0 is going live ;-)

Now I‘m rather thinking about donating some additional bucks to the developers, just because I ❤️ their work !!!

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Zool wrote:Now I‘m rather thinking about donating some additional bucks to the developers, just because I ❤️ their work !!!
It may be more effective if you rather concentrate on getting all your friends to try the game. That way, if they like the game (which many will), then they will also encourage their friends to try the game, and they will do the same with their friends, etc. In doing so, you may help the developers of Factorio a lot more then you ever could have by donating money to them.

Also, don't forget to give the game a good rating on Steam, if you bought it from there.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Zool wrote:I have bought the game more then 3 years ago at a state that was far from today - and never regretted it for a single second. Right now I‘m on something like 2000 hours played time in the game, and thanks to awesome modders like bob and many others, I‘ll probably keep playing it constantly until Factorio 2.0 is going live ;-)

Now I‘m rather thinking about donating some additional bucks to the developers, just because I ❤️ their work !!!
Or you could buy the game for kyuubi: devs get money, he gets the game, everyone happy :)

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

The thing is, over in the glorious land of Great Britain, we only have to pay £15.
So yeah, only about 2 and a bit hours work on minimum wage (£7 an hour).
Gonna start playing again with 0.16 build.
That's all.

nr2117
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nr2117 »

I've bought about 4-5 copies of this game for friends and family. Get it. I have over 500 hours and counting, it's the most time I've spent on any game with the exception of total annihilation and I can't say how long I played that because that was before steam and statistics.

[Moderated by Koub] The full game experience (which I wanted) was multiplayer and mod support.

Return to “General discussion”