Friday Facts #214 - Concrete rendering

Regular reports on Factorio development.

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #214 - Concrete rendering

Post by torham »

I hate to say it, but that concrete is... not very believable. Even if you just pour it without doing any sort of finish, it would look much flatter. What you have here is a stone brick floor, just like the ...stone brick floor we already have.

Edit: I would personally go for something like this :

Last edited by torham on Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sauerkraut
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Sauerkraut »

I love the new borders and stone textures, but the concrete looks too shabby imo. Concrete floor should be flat. If it is not flat, how exactly is it faster to drive over concrete than over dirt?

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

torham wrote:I hate to say it, but that concrete is... not very believable. Even if you just pour it without doing any sort of finish, it would look much flatter. What you have here is a stone brick floor, just like the ...stone brick floor we already have.

Edit: I would personally go for something like this :

+1 It looks good, but it doesn't look like concrete. I'd say to keep the textures, but give it to the stone bricks instead of the concrete. Then make another item (Stone path? Tiles?) for the current stone brick texture.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Proxy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Proxy »

to be honest, i eitehr wish we had a way to make concrete not form a diagonal line when 2 diagonal C-tiles are palces... to make pixel arts better. :D
or make them more versitile.
like more angles...
Example:

White = Tiles
Green border = non-tile (just visual)
Red border = Ignored/not visible... because the border and middle section of the visual stuff are overlapping

I still want a way to decorate my base with pixel arts without them blending together.

TwoD
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TwoD »

The new concrete texture looks way too busy and hazardous. You'd never be able to walk on it and it'd take time to level any machinery placed on it. Once you get to put concrete everywhere you have a level of automation which suggests you're basically laying down a factory floor.
I've walked on factory floors for years and all are almost as smooth as the grey backround seen here, apart from a few long running cracks, large rectangular areas from touch-ups, or smaller spots where old sawed off machinery feet are still embedded in them.
Many newer floors have been given an almost glossy coating to repel oils and other spillage.

TwoD
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TwoD »

Proxy wrote: I still want a way to decorate my base with pixel arts without them blending together.
Just scale everything up and zoom out. ;)

Matthias_Wlkp
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Matthias_Wlkp »

Your concrete looks like a typical middle-eastern European side walk made of concrete tiles. And yes, you can move faster on such sidewalk than on grass.

Love it.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

I agree with the others that the concrete doesn't look like real concrete.

However, unlike the others, I don't care because it looks great.

MrGrim
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrGrim »

I really like the new look, but I like the grid pattern and smoothness of the current concrete more. :/ It would be great if we could somehow get both.

Pinga
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Pinga »

Cool but, that look less like concrete than the current implementation.

Concrete is plain and tiled, just like it is in game right now. Those are just more brick paths.

Also, when you paint concrete, you want the transitions to be sharp, not smudged.

The new version looks like someone randomly spilled paint on the transitions.

It's great that you are putting higher resolution textures, but real concrete is really plain and simple, and painted lines are sharp, so I don't think we need something so fancy. Also, the visible tiles were useful.

Limeth
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Limeth »

MrGrim wrote:I really like the new look, but I like the grid pattern and smoothness of the current concrete more. :/ It would be great if we could somehow get both.
Very much agreed, I do like the new texture, but I would prefer it if it was an additional terrain type.

wlfbck
Inserter
Inserter

Post by wlfbck »

Friday Facts wrote:as we could of used
have ;)

Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Escadin »

What you created here may not look like concrete but....
can we keep it, please? Please!
It looks absolutely gorgeous and I need to have that in my factory.

That aside,...
One issue Factorio has always had with flooring which I haven't seen mentioned is plants and grass sticking out from under a solid concrete surface. It just looks weird and unrealistic because the plants are obviously just stoicly rendered on top. I love it when there are cracks in your worn stone paths which bushes use to grow through or when they grow around the edges like in the last picture.
However, perfectly new concrete shouldn't have that. No bushes, no grass and no frigging tree stumps all over my brand new floor! It should delete nature and help industries dominate the scene.
"--? How are commands compounded in a compounded compound command commanding compound composts." -defines.lua

chris13524
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by chris13524 »

While I do like the texture of this concrete, it doesn't look like concrete. I liked the old texture, not only because I could run fast, but that it made the background feel more flat and structured than the dirt/grass does. It also had the grid pattern which was VERY nice for counting and stuff without having to turn on the artificial grid lines. Things would snap to a position on the screen, not an arbitrary position, made it feel more predictable. Personally, I'd suggest a stone path, brick path (this new texture) and concrete (which is flat and squared according to the tiles).

I also agree with @Pinga, the hazard lines should be square or diagonal, not faded like they are now. Fading is really weird IMO and doesn't happen IRL.

And as a side note, please add stuff to make decorations (that garden in the post is really cool!). Planting trees and shrubs, modifying the landscape (desert, grass), stuff like that would be nice. More creative, relaxing stuff besides the strict structured factory...would be a nice contrast.

promaty
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by promaty »

This concrete looks more difficult to walk on than grass, it seems like I would trip over protruding bits if I tried to walk on it. The transitions are OK, but the texture itself should be way smoother.

Can you please make it more like this?
concrete.PNG
concrete.PNG (6.22 MiB) Viewed 19618 times

Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Escadin »

chris13524 wrote: I also agree with @Pinga, the hazard lines should be square or diagonal, not faded like they are now. Fading is really weird IMO and doesn't happen IRL.
It doesn't fade, it's just a sloppy paint job around the edges. And why not? The edges aren't important, neither are the looks. It just needs to work. This effect fits perfectly into the makeshift aesthetics of Factorio.
"--? How are commands compounded in a compounded compound command commanding compound composts." -defines.lua

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I love the aspect of the new concrete ... but it does totally not feel like concrete to me. I hope it will be in the game, but not as concrete. To illustrate, it reminds me this (I know it's a wall, but for the looks) :
And this is not concrete
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

sicklag
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sicklag »

Last edited by sicklag on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

sicklag wrote:for the people who want to leanr how concrete can look too: http://diton.czechtrade.us/concrete-paving
Every example on that website is still completely flat; there are no parts sticking up and casting shadows on other parts.

If anything, this new concrete art should be the new stone brick art.

Return to “News”