Factorio for PS4?

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
EskilPotet
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Factorio for PS4?

Post by EskilPotet »

Ok I just resontly found out about this game, and it really looks like a game I would play for sure! But the thing is that I just bought a PlayStation4. Since I just bought it I need some games for it. So my question is if anyone has any information about Factorio comming to PS4?
Thank you!

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Factorio for PS4?

Post by olafthecat »

The game probably will come out on consoles when the game reaches 1.0.
Gonna start playing again with 0.16 build.
That's all.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Factorio is not planned to come out to consoles at tfhis time or probably ever, sorry. I'll get some sources in a few minutes.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

How did you reply so quickly!?
That's all.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Magic, obviously.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Sorry, I can't find any sources for that, but I've heard it somewhere and defiantly not heard of any plans to port it. In fact, a mobile version was an April fools joke last year.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

There is no announced plan for porting the game to console.

From my understanding, porting a game when it has been developed entirely without an architecture in mind is a tremendous effort, whereas developing from start on multi-platform needs effort, but a steady continuous effort.

That's why I think console porting is not likely. But remember I'm not a dev, just a moderator, so don't take my work as a formal promise.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Koub wrote:From my understanding, porting a game when it has been developed entirely without an architecture in mind is a tremendous effort, whereas developing from start on multi-platform needs effort, but a steady continuous effort.
PS4 und Xbox One both use x86 AMD CPUs... from that perspective it should actually run quite nicely on them, using the development kits of Microsoft/Sony respectively and getting into them that is. They even made a port of Prison Architect for consoles... so if that crappy unoptimized code (I'm not exaggerating, it really feels shitty on the PC) runs better on the consoles than it does on the PC then Factorio would probably do better by magnitudes and would probably have no problems passing Microsoft/Sony Quality control.

That said the ugly part is the input controls and UI and maybe the multiplayer. I won't say the UI is horrible on the PC, but we all know it has its... quirks... and it would become horrible on a console because everything that is just plainly ported from the PC to the consoles without adjustments feels horrible when it comes to input/UI (and vice versa of course when ported from Consoles to the PC).

But I'm not really interested in a console port anyways... hell I didn't buy any console ever since the PS2.

GoldenPorkchop80
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GoldenPorkchop80 »

[insert obligatory console pesant/PC master race statement here]
MeduSalem wrote:That said the ugly part is the input controls and UI and maybe the multiplayer. I won't say the UI is horrible on the PC, but we all know it has its... quirks... and it would become horrible on a console because everything that is just plainly ported from the PC to the consoles without adjustments feels horrible when it comes to input/UI (and vice versa of course when ported from Consoles to the PC).
Yeah, if they were to port it to console, the UI would need to be completely redone in every aspect. In it's current state, if it were to be ported to console, player inventory and quick slots would be an absolute b*tch to work with. I wouldn't even want to touch it.
Let's just wait until everything is mature enough, then we'll see if it's ready for consoles.
Contact me:
telnet.Telehack.com (My username is gpc80)
Steam
Twitch.tv
Reddit
Email:redrouster2000@gmail.com (Mods, Admins, and Game Devs ONLY! Anyone else will be blocked on my email, and on this forum)
Hamachi VPN: Please send me a PM for network info.
Forums: Send me a PM

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

MeduSalem wrote:
Koub wrote:From my understanding, porting a game when it has been developed entirely without an architecture in mind is a tremendous effort, whereas developing from start on multi-platform needs effort, but a steady continuous effort.
PS4 und Xbox One both use x86 AMD CPUs... from that perspective it should actually run quite nicely on them, using the development kits of Microsoft/Sony respectively and getting into them that is. They even made a port of Prison Architect for consoles... so if that crappy unoptimized code (I'm not exaggerating, it really feels shitty on the PC) runs better on the consoles than it does on the PC then Factorio would probably do better by magnitudes and would probably have no problems passing Microsoft/Sony Quality control.

That said the ugly part is the input controls and UI and maybe the multiplayer. I won't say the UI is horrible on the PC, but we all know it has its... quirks... and it would become horrible on a console because everything that is just plainly ported from the PC to the consoles without adjustments feels horrible when it comes to input/UI (and vice versa of course when ported from Consoles to the PC).

But I'm not really interested in a console port anyways... hell I didn't buy any console ever since the PS2.
So they're 32-bit? That would be another problem, because Factorio dropped 32-bit support in 0.14.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Jap2.0 wrote:So they're 32-bit? That would be another problem, because Factorio dropped 32-bit support in 0.14.
Both the XBox One and PS4 are 64-bit AMD CPUs. I know I should probably have written x86-64 in my first post.

Every x86 CPU shipped ever since around 2004 or 2005 is capable of x86-64 (doesn't mean every computer that shipped ever since also had a 64-bit capable OS pre-installed so thanks to Microsoft's marketing policy the transition has been drawn-out unnecessarily but that's another story). AMD obviously started with K8 and under pressure Intel followed with certain of the later Pentium 4 and then as an out-of-the-box standard with Pentium D/Core 2 or so. Some exception may be some of the Intel Atom CPUs or so... but I wouldn't recommend playing any games on them anyways... they are guaranteed to suck performancewise.

So that's why nowadays if I write x86 I actually mean x86-64 because of how it's been pretty much a standard for more than 10 years now.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

MeduSalem wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:So they're 32-bit? That would be another problem, because Factorio dropped 32-bit support in 0.14.
Both the XBox One and PS4 are 64-bit AMD CPUs. I know I should probably have written x86-64 in my first post.

Every x86 CPU shipped ever since around 2004 or 2005 is capable of x86-64 (doesn't mean every computer that shipped ever since also had a 64-bit capable OS pre-installed so thanks to Microsoft's marketing policy the transition has been drawn-out unnecessarily but that's another story). AMD obviously started with K8 and under pressure Intel followed with certain of the later Pentium 4 and then as an out-of-the-box standard with Pentium D/Core 2 or so. Some exception may be some of the Intel Atom CPUs or so... but I wouldn't recommend playing any games on them anyways... they are guaranteed to suck performancewise.

So that's why nowadays if I write x86 I actually mean x86-64 because of how it's been pretty much a standard for more than 10 years now.
Sorry, processors aren't exactly my area of expertise :).

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

So, I think we have worked out that there is not going to be a console version any time soon.
Anyway, I don't need one, I have a good enough PC at home anyway.
That's all.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

olafthecat wrote:So, I think we have worked out that there is not going to be a console version any time soon.
Your conclusion is correct.
We might look into ports to other platforms when 1.0 is done.

EskilPotet
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by EskilPotet »

Ok thank you everyone for all the responses! I might buy it for PC anyways tho.

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

No problem :D
That's all.

ziggurism
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ziggurism »

MeduSalem wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:37 pm
Koub wrote: From my understanding, porting a game when it has been developed entirely without an architecture in mind is a tremendous effort, whereas developing from start on multi-platform needs effort, but a steady continuous effort.
I would tend to agree with you, but games like Minecraft and Stardew Valley were ported not only to console, but also to touchscreen phones. I wouldn't have ever thought it would be possible, but it works. So why not Factorio too?

Return to “Off topic”