[0.15.x] Auto-detecting Ore Crusher

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

laku
Inserter
Inserter

[0.15.x] Auto-detecting Ore Crusher

Post by laku »

I made a small mod that changes how Ore Crushers work.
The Ore Crusher will now accept any ore and crushs it without a recipe that needs to be selected.

Known limitations:
- Coal can now only be crushed in the electrical Ore Crushers.
- Its missing a proper dependency on petro chem (will be fixed tomorrow eve)
GIF
Changelog:
- 0.0.2: Fixed dependency, now works correctly with Angel's Petrochem
Attachments
improved_crushing_0.0.2.zip
(1.17 KiB) Downloaded 124 times

laku
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.15.x] Auto-detecting Ore Crusher

Post by laku »

Updated to 0.0.2

ray4ever
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ray4ever »

I like your mod. It is very useful when playing seablock ;)

Will you put it onto the mod portal?

laku
Inserter
Inserter

Post by laku »

ray4ever wrote:I like your mod. It is very useful when playing seablock ;)

Will you put it onto the mod portal?

sure. done. https://mods.factorio.com/mods/laku_0o/ ... d_crushing

bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by bigyihsuan »

Thank you for making this. Now I can make that universal ore crushing build.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

How does that work with multiple ores on a belt? You need multiple ores of the same type to crush and from furnaces I gather what will happen is that the inserter will pick up any ore and then fail to insert it into the crusher if it already has a different ore inside.

My goal would be to have a LTN train station with warehouses. It requests any kind of ore and provides any kind of crushed ore. I would use filter inserters to move the ore most lacking in the outgoing warehouse onto the belt(s) going past the ore crusher. Again the biggest problem would be the number of ores needed for one crushing cycle. How do you get every crusher the right number of ores before switching?

Other than that I like this change. But couldn't it be added to the original mod as config option? Like the option for auto barreling?

laku
Inserter
Inserter

Post by laku »

mrvn wrote:How does that work with multiple ores on a belt? You need multiple ores of the same type to crush and from furnaces I gather what will happen is that the inserter will pick up any ore and then fail to insert it into the crusher if it already has a different ore inside.
I am not quite sure I understand your problem. I am, however, pretty sure, that an inserter wont pick up an item that cant be inserted. If you make sushi-belts, you should make sure the belt is not getting jamed with one type of ore, while your crusher has one piece of anotehr ore inside it.
mrvn wrote: My goal would be to have a LTN train station with warehouses. It requests any kind of ore and provides any kind of crushed ore. I would use filter inserters to move the ore most lacking in the outgoing warehouse onto the belt(s) going past the ore crusher. Again the biggest problem would be the number of ores needed for one crushing cycle. How do you get every crusher the right number of ores before switching?
Force an inserter to move only a multiple of 2. This way there will never be a lack of ores. The fact, that 2 piece of ore are needed to make to pieces of crushed ore (rather than 1to 1), is a decision bade by Angel.
mrvn wrote:Other than that I like this change. But couldn't it be added to the original mod as config option? Like the option for auto barreling?
It used to be part of the original mod (I didnt know this myself, untill I spoke with Angel suggesting the same thing you are asking for) and since this mod exists now there is no need do change any of Angels mods. :)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

laku wrote:
mrvn wrote:How does that work with multiple ores on a belt? You need multiple ores of the same type to crush and from furnaces I gather what will happen is that the inserter will pick up any ore and then fail to insert it into the crusher if it already has a different ore inside.
I am not quite sure I understand your problem. I am, however, pretty sure, that an inserter wont pick up an item that cant be inserted. If you make sushi-belts, you should make sure the belt is not getting jamed with one type of ore, while your crusher has one piece of anotehr ore inside it.
Well, try it. Build a furnace (or your ore crusher), put one sapharite ore in it and then put stiratite ore on the belt. Since the furnce will accept stiratite (when empty) the inserter picks up stiratite and is then stuck. I run into this problem when I tried putting iron ore and iron plates on the same belt. The inserters would get stuck with iron ore in hand and iron plate in the furnace or vice versa.

If you don't run into problems with just one inserter do the same with 4 inserters and a mixed belt. With the ore crushed empty the inserters must pick up any ore type. What if they pick up different ores? Now some are stuck till the ore crusher is empty again.
laku wrote:Force an inserter to move only a multiple of 2. This way there will never be a lack of ores. The fact, that 2 piece of ore are needed to make to pieces of crushed ore (rather than 1to 1), is a decision bade by Angel.
Assuming you have inserter bonus researched for this. Not available at the start of the game where I think a mixed crusher might be most useful.

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

Setting the stack size limit to 2 also won't work if there's a mixed input belt, because it will still insert just one if there's only one on the belt at that time (inserters only wait for a short time to build a larger stack).

laku
Inserter
Inserter

Post by laku »

@torne @mrvn
Ahhhh i see where this is going. You are both right of course. :D
Sadly there is not much i can do, because of how the game itself is programmed and how Angel designed his recipes. If you have any creative ideas on how to solve this, let me know. :)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

torne wrote:Setting the stack size limit to 2 also won't work if there's a mixed input belt, because it will still insert just one if there's only one on the belt at that time (inserters only wait for a short time to build a larger stack).
Ah but you would also set the stack size to a multiple of 2 when putting things on the belt and set a filter to put only things on the belt where you have a full stack size of. I think that would work (till it doesn't :)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

laku wrote:@torne @mrvn
Ahhhh i see where this is going. You are both right of course. :D
Sadly there is not much i can do, because of how the game itself is programmed and how Angel designed his recipes. If you have any creative ideas on how to solve this, let me know. :)
Don't think there is anything that can be done other than strictly controlling what goes on the belt and what gets take of. You can control inserters with circuits so you can program them to do the right thing.

But even if you don't do mixed ore crushing not having to program each ore crusher for the type of ore to crush is still nice. You can just blueprint 2 LTN train station with some ore crushers in between and then only have to set the ore type once at the requesting station.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

0.16:
improved_crushing_0.0.2.zip
(1.18 KiB) Downloaded 106 times

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Return to “Angels Mods”