Colored logistics slots

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

AntiBlueQuirk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Colored logistics slots

Post by AntiBlueQuirk »

The logistics network screen and tooltips should colorize slots to indicate the source of the item, such as whether it is in storage or in a provider chest:
factorio-logistics-color.png
factorio-logistics-color.png (35.65 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
This does raise the question of what to do with items in multiple types of storage (both in storage and in a provider chest). I suggest one of the following solutions:
  • Have a priority system: Use provider color before storage color, or etc.
  • Split the stacks to show each different type of storage.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Colored logistics slots

Post by JohnyDL »

Why was I looking at the title and thinking brilliant idea? Coloured slots to tell you how satisfied requester chests are within the logistic network :P

Red Requesting but none available
Yellow Requesting and all in the air
Green not requesting

Would be useful in inventory as well as in the logistic network panel.

I'm not really concerned with where (although Logistics requesting order for colouring makes sense, what sort of chest will the next item of this colour come out of) But I feel that there's probably not a huge amount of extra work in colouring all the slots green at the beginning of the tick if an item is requested/has requests in the air turn it yellow if it's requested and fails turn it red.

AntiBlueQuirk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by AntiBlueQuirk »

I actually am interested in knowing how much I have in storage vs providers, because generally I use passive providers, so anything in storage is "backstock". But I don't think there's any reason you couldn't add a extra color that means "outstanding requests that cannot be satisfied".

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

I'm kind of more interested in whether needs are satisfied knowing if it's in storage boxes (which are emptied before passive providers) or not kind of has no benefit to me, I usually keep storage chests together and I can scan across them for items I'm looking for but I think mine would make a fantastic addition to bottleneck mod.

Though my opinion on that might change with the addition of buffer chests

AntiBlueQuirk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by AntiBlueQuirk »

AntiBlueQuirk wrote:I actually am interested in knowing how much I have in storage vs providers, because generally I use passive providers, so anything in storage is "backstock". But I don't think there's any reason you couldn't add a extra color that means "outstanding requests that cannot be satisfied".
The point I was trying to make is that if you could color slots based on item sources, it would probably be trivial to also show outstanding requests in a similar way. :)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”