No path for train in automatic mode, despite having signals

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
makapse
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

No path for train in automatic mode, despite having signals

Post by makapse »

I was recently running a successful factory and suddenly, one of my train lines suddenly says that "no path" available for automatic mode, but it used to run normally before and there is no signal locking and I can run the route manually. Can anyone please tell what is causing this issue? Also, if someone points out how to attach the save game, I can also do that if needed.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: No path for train in automatic mode, despite having signals

Post by Kyralessa »

There can be several reasons to get a "no path" message:
  • Your train doesn't have a locomotive facing the correct direction.
  • There's a break in the track between your locomotive and your destination.
  • The signals are placed incorrectly.
If you're completely stumped, manually move the train a bit along your expected path, then switch it to automatic again. Keep doing this, and at some point you'll get to where the "no path" message goes away. Then at least you've narrowed down where the problem is.

If the problem is signaling, try removing signals until the problem goes away. If you remove too many, the worst that can happen is you'll get a couple of damaged locomotives which you can easily repair. Once you've removed enough signals that there's a path again, you can see whether you need to add any back.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

I would say most of times "No path" is a result of misplaced signals.
And most common issue is marking a rail fragment "one way only" while it should really be 2-way. You got to remember that if you place a signal without its counterpart on another side of the rail this particular spot will be one way only so if you need to place such signals, say you need a chain signal before intersection, then you absolutely need to put its counterpart if you want trains to move both ways here. Counterpart signal may differ from original so you might have chain signal one way and normal backwards.

And yes, check if your train has a locomotive facing correct way. If you want a train move both ways (Terminus stations) you need locomotives facing both ways in your train. Trains can not reverse in auto mode.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

makapse wrote: if someone points out how to attach the save game, I can also do that if needed.
Post reply -> Upload attachment in the bottom left.

makapse
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by makapse »

I will post the save file tonight when I am on a better net. The file does'nt want to be uploaded on my crappy mobile net. No mods installed. I just deleted a section of the track and rebuilt it. The problem started after that.
And the route used to run earlier. I can still run it manually. and moving it doesn't matter at all

makapse
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by makapse »

Please find the attached save file. The train route is second iron pickup to iron drop.
Attachments
lazy bastard and no solar.zip
(9.39 MiB) Downloaded 363 times

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

second iron pickup station doesn't seem to be valid.
notice when i mouse over it doesn't show where the engine, cargo wagons would be?
invalid.station.png
invalid.station.png (131.81 KiB) Viewed 179077 times
i moved it left 1 block and the train seems to work fine.

makapse
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by makapse »

Thanks a lot.
I have no idea what caused this.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

no problem. if you place the stop, remove the track next to it, add the curve it no longer functions as a station.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Yep. Looks like you placed it on a straight piece of rail one tile past the beginning of your curve, then deleted that rail to make the curve, which starts on the tile of the train station (and train stations can't go on curves - even if they could, I doubt that it would line itself up if you changed the rail type)
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Aanokint
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Aanokint »

PacifyerGrey wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:42 am
And most common issue is marking a rail fragment "one way only" while it should really be 2-way. You got to remember that if you place a signal without its counterpart on another side of the rail this particular spot will be one way only so if you need to place such signals, say you need a chain signal before intersection, then you absolutely need to put its counterpart if you want trains to move both ways here. Counterpart signal may differ from original so you might have chain signal one way and normal backwards.

And yes, check if your train has a locomotive facing correct way. If you want a train move both ways (Terminus stations) you need locomotives facing both ways in your train. Trains can not reverse in auto mode.
Years later and this message saved me! Just getting into trains after 150hours. After trouble shooting my rail, I now have three locomotives on one rail network with 7 destinations! Got my Trans-Factorio Express achievement too after I had it all set up properly! Thank you!

darkben7
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by darkben7 »

PacifyerGrey wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:42 am

Five years later, thanks man!

Return to “Gameplay Help”