[MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Topics and discussion about specific mods
British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Post by British_Petroleum »

this mod makes the game look so much better, hopefully the devs will take some inspiration from your mod. Also, I can blueprint landfill!

Jeroen D Stout
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Jeroen D Stout »

A large part of me always thought the game felt empty once you left the starting area - now no longer! I quit the god-mode so not to spoil myself to all the landscape ready to explore with my trusty vehicle. Thank you for the hard work!

FlyHigh
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FlyHigh »

So i've removed the requirement for the Water Fix Mod. I quite like the original water. Hope you don't mind ;)
>>> Maxwell R. Black <<<

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by abordoli »

Sorry if this was asked before, but is there any "easy" way to remove undesired biomes? Mainly looking for a "Mars" look. Also, wanting only dead trees, but sparse. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Managed to get rid of the desired amount of trees using the "Fewer Trees" mod, so please disregard that part.

Question about "Snow": I see it slows you down, which is fine. Is speed restored once you pave it?

waiora
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by waiora »

Nice mod but way too much snow, last thing I want to do is play with a blinding white background most of the time.

Of 20 generated maps almost every single one started with snow in the starting explored region

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

If you remove Water Fix as a dependency then it will break biomes being able to extend near to water and will break your ability to place crafted tiles properly.

@abordoli I sent you some instructions for selecting a set of biomes to be allowed.

If you pave snow then you go at full speed. If I'm in snow one of the first things I do is make some narrow paths.

Having snow in the starting area 20 times in a row is very unlikely, but at least you're not stuck in the middle of a lavafield.

waiora
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by waiora »

Ive generated 100's of maps as a test. These are the areas i get at the start like 90% of the time.

Imageimage share

Snow is always present and some of the redish forest.

Saw purple woods twice in very small patches, and very little lava, or blue woods.

Im running the 0.15.13 version

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

waiora wrote:Ive generated 100's of maps as a test. These are the areas i get at the start like 90% of the time.

Imageimage share

Snow is always present and some of the redish forest.

Saw purple woods twice in very small patches, and very little lava, or blue woods.

Im running the 0.15.13 version
That's showing more than your starting scanned zone. If you scan further with radars or explore further of course it's going to increase the likelihood of finding snow. I don't have any control, over the vanilla's humidity and temperature noise layers and those are what power the biome distribution. You can increase biome size by reducing water frequency, which also affects the humidity and temperature noise layers.

FlyHigh
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FlyHigh »

I was wondering, ir there a command to regenerate the biomes into an already generated map?
>>> Maxwell R. Black <<<

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

FlyHigh wrote:I was wondering, ir there a command to regenerate the biomes into an already generated map?
It's might be possible to do that with lua though the console but I have not tried it. http://lua-api.factorio.com/0.15.21/LuaSurface.html

You might have to delete the chunks and force them to generate them again but I think that would wipe the entire factory.

miturion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by miturion »

Earendel wrote:If you remove Water Fix as a dependency then it will break biomes being able to extend near to water and will break your ability to place crafted tiles properly.

@abordoli I sent you some instructions for selecting a set of biomes to be allowed.

If you pave snow then you go at full speed. If I'm in snow one of the first things I do is make some narrow paths.

Having snow in the starting area 20 times in a row is very unlikely, but at least you're not stuck in the middle of a lavafield.

Hi Earendel, love this mod, looks really cool with all the different biomes.
But just as abordoli I wish to play with more desert / less green in my map. Do you want to share the instructions for selecting biomes (like turning off all the green ones)?

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

miturion wrote:
Earendel wrote:If you remove Water Fix as a dependency then it will break biomes being able to extend near to water and will break your ability to place crafted tiles properly.

Hi Earendel, love this mod, looks really cool with all the different biomes.
But just as abordoli I wish to play with more desert / less green in my map. Do you want to share the instructions for selecting biomes (like turning off all the green ones)?
The instructions are basically to create a new mod, add a data-updates.lua and then add data.raw.tile["terrain-name"].autoplace_settings = nil.

Other nearby terrains would fill in the gaps, but the more you remove the less predictable the replacement terrain would be, so you might end up with snow next to lava.

I'm experimenting with adding some mod settings to adjust the planet temperature and humidity ranges, but since I can't modify the real scales directly I'm having to modify the placement settings. It's easy enough to link controls to those values, but making them user friendly is the big problem because everything is backwards from what you'd expect.

miturion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by miturion »

Earendel wrote:
The instructions are basically to create a new mod, add a data-updates.lua and then add data.raw.tile["terrain-name"].autoplace_settings = nil.

Other nearby terrains would fill in the gaps, but the more you remove the less predictable the replacement terrain would be, so you might end up with snow next to lava.

I'm experimenting with adding some mod settings to adjust the planet temperature and humidity ranges, but since I can't modify the real scales directly I'm having to modify the placement settings. It's easy enough to link controls to those values, but making them user friendly is the big problem because everything is backwards from what you'd expect.
I dont really care about sudden 'unrealistic' biome changes. As long as there is less green grass land :). Out of 20 vanilla restarts, 19 are starting in the grass biome, while the other biomes look way cooler imo.
Anyway, I will try to make this new mod, thanks.

edit: Ow, I just found this. https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Pithlit/desert-planet

No grass biomes will be created.
Landfill places dirt instead of grass.
With the alien-biomes mod the planet looks very alien.
Without the water-fix mod water tiles will be surrounded by grass tiles, however.

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by abordoli »

Not to take anything away from, THIS MOD, which I consider to be the best out there for "biomes"...Yes, the treeless desert planet one is neat. The author of THAT MOD is also thinking of doing an ice planet. There is also a Lava World biome out there, I noticed, where the lava can be turned into stone, etc. Beyond those 2 and THIS multi-biome mod, this is it..as of this <cough> immediate </cough> moment <wink><wink>.
~B

E,
I think what most of us interested in "biome selection" is a simple gui (like mod start-up settings) to toggle which biomes to express during map generation. My preference, as you know, is snow with some small spots of lava desert to represent a geothermic/ice-melting situation like in volcanic-Antartica. I know that sudden biome changes look ugly, but that's where we could have darker snow, ice and sludge, etc. A tall ticket, I know (especially with updates adding more biomes).
~B

miturion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by miturion »

abordoli wrote:Not to take anything away from, THIS MOD, which I consider to be the best out there for "biomes"...Yes, the treeless desert planet one is neat. The author of THAT MOD is also thinking of doing an ice planet. There is also a Lava World biome out there, I noticed, where the lava can be turned into stone, etc. Beyond those 2 and THIS multi-biome mod, this is it..as of this <cough> immediate </cough> moment <wink><wink>.
~B

E,
I think what most of us interested in "biome selection" is a simple gui (like mod start-up settings) to toggle which biomes to express during map generation. My preference, as you know, is snow with some small spots of lava desert to represent a geothermic/ice-melting situation like in volcanic-Antartica. I know that sudden biome changes look ugly, but that's where we could have darker snow, ice and sludge, etc. A tall ticket, I know (especially with updates adding more biomes).
~B
Here is the mod I made for a snow rock biome. Made from the Desert Mod and Alien Biomes.
Snowy Rocky Planet https://mods.factorio.com/mods/swap/snow-rock-planet
20170629135003_1.jpg
20170629135003_1.jpg (523.96 KiB) Viewed 8806 times
I added all the separate biomes to easily enable them. description in the mod page.
data-updates.PNG
data-updates.PNG (31.96 KiB) Viewed 8806 times

Here is an overview of all the biomes:
alien biomes overview.png
alien biomes overview.png (2.08 MiB) Viewed 8806 times

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by abordoli »

Thanks Miturion, I'll check it out. I actually already have it downloaded for my Tatooine world, but if it can pull off Hoth and Endor, and Dagobah...I'm excited!
~B

wvlad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wvlad »

wvlad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wvlad »

Can you please make snow biome not so bright? It hurts my eyes.

miturion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by miturion »

wvlad wrote:Can you please make snow biome not so bright? It hurts my eyes.
Hahah, Yes I know it is a bit bright. I just used the snow from Alien Biomes. I actually made a whole snow biome first but had to put some stone in between to not make the whole screen white.

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by abordoli »

There is a caveat with the rocky snow mod, though. You get a LOT of lakes despite your settings. I use "No Lakes" to undo this, but then you're reliant on other methods of pulling water out of the ground.
~B

Return to “Mods”