[0.17.x] ShinyAngelGFX

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.15.x] ShinyAngelGFX

Post by Zombiee »

I'm afraid that anything too in depth is well beyond my ability. I'm basically at the 'change file name' level of coding but my guess is that you're running into some limitation of usable memory somewhere ... check your task manager see if something else is hogging resources, try full screen instead of windowed?

I would watch task manager and see what it does while you're loading as well.
I did some weird extra layers with pipe in 15.2. From 15.3 to 4 though .. I added buildings, nothing fancy.

Really old forum post, but are you using 32 bit? viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8211

Last suggestion, try changing Atlas texture size to something smaller (read it from a dev somewhere).

adamcirillo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by adamcirillo »

.15 is 64bit only but with 8gb vram and 16gb system didn't think I would filled up memory with 2d textures ram usage is 45% running with 15.3 version Vram is at 7.5GB I didn't think it would get that high. reducing the atlas texture size dropped ram usage down by 1Gb.

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

I tried a recolor similar to sintering oven, hoping to be less 'loud' in the differences.
Too much? To little? Does the orange clash?
blastchem.png
blastchem.png (406.09 KiB) Viewed 7447 times

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

I personally like the way they are already; However, I'll provide some feedback on them regardless.

I feel that the three colors (Black, orange, tier) ratios are too similar and thus makes it look too "busy", unlike the sintering oven's orange stripes which are just a smaller part of the machine giving it a more subtle appearance that doesn't clash with the two primary colors all that much.

I'd suggest that if you did want to keep some orange from the original in the structure, to have it be a smaller portion of the machine for that subtle orange tint. For example, you can just leave the orange ring on top of the chemical furnace alone, while the rest of the building looks as it does in the mod currently. That should be subtle enough to keep focus on the primary colors, yet stand out just enough to look cool as a decorative piece.

septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by septemberWaves »

I like having the tier colors be more subtle. It makes the machines look more uniform while still allowing for their tier to be easily identified.

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

Light wrote:I personally like the way they are already
Thank you. I do appreciate that. My main gripe is with the blast furnace .. it's REALLY purple/blue on the higher tiers. That and the induction furnace has a lot of funny pixel bleed on the heating element. Since I want to change those I feel obligated to change the chem furnace too.
Light wrote: ratios are too similar and thus makes it look too "busy"
This is exactly my concern so the feedback is great. Setting up a line of them leads me to agree.
Light wrote:leave the orange ring on top of the chemical furnace
Yeah, the 3 bracelets on the tower too probably but that's about right. The blast furnace is tough though, I'll try just the 'cage' and 'tower bracelets' and see how that looks. Will suck to separate though, that cage overlaps EVERYTHING.
eloquentJane wrote:I like having the tier colors be more subtle
Yup, my feelings exactly. I'm comfortable with how the pellet press and processing machine look. But the 5x5 buildings and the induction furnace have a lot of color. I'd rather they were too purple than be a clown car of color though, finding a middle ground is tricky.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Zombiee wrote:
Light wrote:I personally like the way they are already
Thank you. I do appreciate that. My main gripe is with the blast furnace .. it's REALLY purple/blue on the higher tiers. That and the induction furnace has a lot of funny pixel bleed on the heating element. Since I want to change those I feel obligated to change the chem furnace too.
Light wrote: ratios are too similar and thus makes it look too "busy"
This is exactly my concern so the feedback is great. Setting up a line of them leads me to agree.
Light wrote:leave the orange ring on top of the chemical furnace
Yeah, the 3 bracelets on the tower too probably but that's about right. The blast furnace is tough though, I'll try just the 'cage' and 'tower bracelets' and see how that looks. Will suck to separate though, that cage overlaps EVERYTHING.
Due to the contrast, I don't find the colors so jarring on the smelting structures because they're mostly black and thus the darker colors seem like a nice fit despite being half and half. Including the blast furnace.

This is unlike the petrochem structures which are mostly white, this in turn makes the dark colors stand out a lot more as they're unable to blend in whatsoever. The lower ratio of color to white seems more appropriate here. If the smelting structures were mostly white, then the colors would stand out way too much and the blast furnace would especially look absurd.

This is just my observation when comparing the two different contrasts of the buildings, as there's a good distinction when I'm at the petrochemical refinery then suddenly traveling to the metallurgy refinery. What they have right now works nicely within their contrast and color scheme, which looks even cooler they're all put together in their own region rather than mixed in close proximity as the example image is.

It's ultimately up to you, but that's just my thought on why I find the current style works nicely.
---

On another note, the green pipes on the hydro plant should be their tier color as they're supposed to be the same as the pipes surrounding the plant.

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

Light wrote:works nicely within their contrast and color scheme
I agree with you about that I can get away with (and probably need) to have a larger portion of the smelty buildings colored. The range between too little and too much is fairly wide for me and while the 5x5s are at the top end of that range the blast furnace is just a little too much as is. Changing it kinda means a change for the rest.

I'll give you this though, if the changes I end up making are more than minimal (crown and the like) I'll just include both versions and use that to force myself to learn how to add options. In-game option - Use subtle smelty coloring? (Y/N) Something like that.
Light wrote:green pipes on the hydro plant
Yeah, ok. I was lazy there, added to my list. Near the bottom, but added.

iamwyza
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by iamwyza »

It looks like the ghost for the mk3 induction furnace is wrong. It's colored like a mk4 induction furnace. Not sure if this affects others or not.
shinyangel ghost issue.PNG
shinyangel ghost issue.PNG (447.12 KiB) Viewed 7343 times

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

That's not something I noticed, but I'm not sure I count it a bug or not. The ghost process isn't something I change, it's done elsewhere by factorio automatically. It looks like when they do the ghost image creation they change the values or balance or something.

End result is yellows get lighter, reds shift to orange. Blue shift to (almost exactly the mk 4 version) purple and the purples shift to pink.

It's annoying, but not wrong. It does affect pretty much every petrochem and smelting building so I'll play with levels a bit and see if I can make the effect 'less'. Unfortunately this would affect the color of the buildings when built as well and I rather like the existing colors.

IF I change something, it's a lot of work so it won't be a quick update. Thanks for the report regardless, it's very disconcerting.

iamwyza
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by iamwyza »

It's not a huge deal, just something that struck me as odd. Makes sense though if they are doing some sort of color shift outside of your control though.

iamwyza
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by iamwyza »

Is this a vanilla Angel's bug or a shiny angel's bug? (fire is being rendered 1 square to the right.)
fire stack wrong..PNG
fire stack wrong..PNG (563.86 KiB) Viewed 7271 times

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

iamwyza wrote:Is this a vanilla Angel's bug or a shiny angel's bug? (fire is being rendered 1 square to the right.)
fire stack wrong..PNG
That could be my derp, I'll check it. Thanks for the report.

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

Not me this time. That's a bug in baseline Angel's petrochem, it's only for the Mk2, 3 and 4 small gas refineries.

You can change the shift values for the later versions (lines: 173,182, 283, 292, 393, 402)
to: shift = {2, -2.5},
in /prototypes/buildings/gas-refinery.lua

and that should fix it.

EDIT - Timing on duplicate posts amazes me sometimes. Likely Angel will have found and fixed before you ever get a chance to use this info.

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

Pushed a new release to use Angel's new building. It's like 20MB bigger because I haven't been able how to make the 'stripe' thing that Angel used to work with layers yet, I'm sure it's possible but I'm also not very bright. Once I figure it out I'll upload another smaller version.

I'm also not completely in love with my coloring of the strand casting machine but I'm not sure how bad it is, thoughts?

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Do you plan adding color to molten metal so it can be read in pipe gauges?

iamwyza
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by iamwyza »

I think the colors for Ore Sorting Machines Icons is off. In the crafting window the colors are the normal Yellow->red->blue->purple, but once crafted, the icon in the inventory is Grey, Blue, Red, Purple. Guessing some index in an array is off by a 1 or something? Let me know if you need an image of it.

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

The icons are absolutely off but they are a side effect of the recent updates Angel made. I hadn't caught that one myself but I'll fix when I can. Still debating whether to use the (I, II, III, IV) scheme instead of colored icons or in addition to ..

iamwyza
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by iamwyza »

I prefer the colors + numbering myself. The numbers are rather small and can be difficult to quickly identify at a glance.

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

I've actually been playing with the idea of something like this:
crackers.JPG
crackers.JPG (11.38 KiB) Viewed 7064 times
The blue is hard to see for some reason, and the blue and purple cover too much up. But it's this type of set where I think having the buildings colored might be redundant.

Maybe a line along the side might be better.
crackers2.JPG
crackers2.JPG (11.25 KiB) Viewed 7064 times

Return to “Angels Mods”