Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

DragonPox90210
Inserter
Inserter

Teleporters

Post by DragonPox90210 »

traveling between point A and point B can take a long time and cars and trains take lots of resources, so why not make teleporters? They would have to use a LOT of energy (maybe when the batteries are implemented they drain them dry) that way you can have mining operations set up far away sending supplies to your base via teleporter belts which would use way less energy than a teleporter
(if the total energy of a battery is 100 it would take 100 energy to send a player but only 10 to send a resource)

Kadaban
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Teleporters

Post by Kadaban »

I like the idea. It would of course require alien tech and, as you said, require high amounts of energy.
Some kind of clickable map that pops up that allows one to choose between the teleport stations you already built would be a nice addition.

I can already see myself running around with a couple of fully charged batteries and a teleporter pad to allow for exploration and quick travel.

Now that I think about it... what about transporting cargo?
Being able to teleport the player includes the inventory which can be used to transport high amounts of material at once.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

I like the idea, but we will have to be careful with it, we don't want to spoil all the logistics with this.

The amount of the energy can easily depend on the player cargo.

Kadaban
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kadaban »

kovarex wrote:I like the idea, but we will have to be careful with it, we don't want to spoil all the logistics with this....
That's exactly what I thought. Allowing everything to be teleported from anywhere would certainly spoil the fun of messing around with belts and building a network.

Come to think of it.. factorio really shows quite some similarities with OpenTTD. In OpenTTD the main focus is on land and water vehicles that need to take a path along a predefined route to pick up and deliver goods.
Aircraft on the other hand are only dependant on an airport (teleporter) from which they can land at another airport and thus make the whole route building obsolete. One of the reason I usually disable them on my servers.

Mysteria9
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mysteria9 »

For balance reasons I think it should not be possible to transport items, only the player.
And it should be expensive. Really expensive. Performing a teleport should not only consume loads of electricity, but also some expensive materials, eg: alien artifacts.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Kadaban wrote:Come to think of it.. factorio really shows quite some similarities with OpenTTD. In OpenTTD the main focus is on land and water vehicles that need to take a path along a predefined route to pick up and deliver goods.
Aircraft on the other hand are only dependant on an airport (teleporter) from which they can land at another airport and thus make the whole route building obsolete. One of the reason I usually disable them on my servers.
Agreed. At the moment the Logistic Robots in Factorio are conceptually similar to the Airplanes in the OpenTTD. You setup the chests, spawn the robots and they go and transport the items between the chests. We were / are afraid that this is imbalanced already. However it is accessible only in the later stages of the game when the factory is big and complicated already.

Mysteria9
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mysteria9 »

slpwnd wrote:At the moment the Logistic Robots in Factorio are conceptually similar to the Airplanes in the OpenTTD. You setup the chests, spawn the robots and they go and transport the items between the chests. We were / are afraid that this is imbalanced already. However it is accessible only in the later stages of the game when the factory is big and complicated already.
I think there should be a cap on the amount of Log bots the player can have. Could be increased through research of course. But still a pretty low cap.
This would allow the player to use them if they "painted themselves into a corner" when constructing their factory, but not to the extent that a big part of the gameplay is omitted.

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

Mysteria9 wrote:
slpwnd wrote:At the moment the Logistic Robots in Factorio are conceptually similar to the Airplanes in the OpenTTD. You setup the chests, spawn the robots and they go and transport the items between the chests. We were / are afraid that this is imbalanced already. However it is accessible only in the later stages of the game when the factory is big and complicated already.
I think there should be a cap on the amount of Log bots the player can have. Could be increased through research of course. But still a pretty low cap.
This would allow the player to use them if they "painted themselves into a corner" when constructing their factory, but not to the extent that a big part of the gameplay is omitted.

what about a maintenance pad that repairs and refuels the logistics robots, but at the price of requiring Metal + Fuel cans + Electricity, this pad could also be where the robots go when no in use, this could also go further so that each pad allows +10 robots or +5 ect, actually +5 is better.
for the graphic image i imagine a small tower with 5 slots on the edge of what could be a launch pad, and you would be able to tell how many robots are in there by the graphic image (i.e. it would show how many robots are parked in it)

and on a related note, you COULD have relay towers which have a generous range BUT they have to be linked up like power lines, these towers would designate the range where a logistics robot could move. THis allows more control of the robot in the way of its path, AND applies a limitation on how you can use them (like stopping you from driving off for 10 min, and placing a requisiton chest to grab everything you need ect

Mysteria9
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mysteria9 »

Dakkanor wrote:what about a maintenance pad that repairs and refuels the logistics robots, but at the price of requiring Metal + Fuel cans + Electricity, this pad could also be where the robots go when no in use, this could also go further so that each pad allows +10 robots or +5 ect, actually +5 is better.
for the graphic image i imagine a small tower with 5 slots on the edge of what could be a launch pad, and you would be able to tell how many robots are in there by the graphic image (i.e. it would show how many robots are parked in it)

and on a related note, you COULD have relay towers which have a generous range BUT they have to be linked up like power lines, these towers would designate the range where a logistics robot could move. THis allows more control of the robot in the way of its path, AND applies a limitation on how you can use them (like stopping you from driving off for 10 min, and placing a requisiton chest to grab everything you need ect
I agree with the entire post! :)

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

I think im going to add a player teleporter to my mod

theamazingrando
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by theamazingrando »

I've been using the RSO mod (which is awesome BTW) so I have a bunch of remote mining outposts. Frequently, there's issues at each outpost with trains or miners or biters, and I need to go investigate. This either means I have to wait for the next train to take me there, or walk (or drive the car, but there's several forests in the way, meaning I have to stop, pick up the car, walk through the forest, place the car, put the fuel back in it, then continue).

What would be awesome is if I could build a Star Trek like teleporter-pad in each outpost so that I could quickly jump between locations. Make it really expensive, like 10x a roboport's costs, or 50 processors and batteries or something like that. I think this would make large base management require a lot less tedious walking.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Avatar Teleporter

Post by ssilk »

For finding: character teleport
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

espritcrafter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by espritcrafter »

Maybe make it cost blocks of solid fuel that goes up in a linear fashion with distance? This would also give solid fuel more useful.

Khaim
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Khaim »

I was going to make a thread about teleporters, but I see I'm not the first to have this idea. I think the pads don't need to be super expensive, although they certainly should be very late-game, probably costing tens of processor units. They should also use dedicated "fuel" charges, so you have to set up another production line to keep them operational. I'm thinking something like

20 Solid Fuel + 4 Electronic Circuits + 1 Advanced Circuit + 2 Batteries => 10 Teleport Charges

where 1 charge is required for each chunk of distance. (These numbers are off the top of my head; we'd want to play with the values to see what makes sense.)

Xecutor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xecutor »

Telepad mod might help you :)

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

Heres what I do in my rso worlds.
At every mining outpost, I make a station titled #PT station name 1. Use hashtag so its at the top of the list.
Then make a locomotive only train, and tell it to go to your new player train station.

I know what you mean by going far distances, but teleporting to me would feel like cheating :( but... it does sound very helpful.
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

OBAMA MCLAMA wrote:Heres what I do in my rso worlds.
At every mining outpost, I make a station titled #PT station name 1. Use hashtag so its at the top of the list.
Then make a locomotive only train, and tell it to go to your new player train station.

I know what you mean by going far distances, but teleporting to me would feel like cheating :( but... it does sound very helpful.
What about passenger train stops? Get in one, and select a destination station - then any train marked for passenger service would come by and pick you up.

It would save remembering where you parked your personal train.

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

immibis wrote:
OBAMA MCLAMA wrote:Heres what I do in my rso worlds.

What about passenger train stops? Get in one, and select a destination station - then any train marked for passenger service would come by and pick you up.

It would save remembering where you parked your personal train.
then you would have to wait for the passenger train, which even with 5 in the network would go up towards 1 minute.
I've recently been carrying around a single locomotive, And Player/passenger trains tend to be all over the place later game :)

Don't leave the base without a player train, :)
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

Factory Lobster
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Factory Lobster »

+1

Player teleporters, please. End game, after everything has been researched. Massive energy requirement, can't teleport non-living things (other than your gear or inventory). Put a cool down on it, if you have to.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Man this topic is old...
Here you go there is a mod for that
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Apriori/Teleportation
Last edited by Engimage on Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”