Multi Monitor support

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Indypendence
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Multi Monitor support

Post by Indypendence »

I think it would be really awesome to have multi-monitor support in the game.
It's already sort-of working if you run the game windowed and drag the window over multiple screens, but that's not exactly what I meant. Plus, on an even amount of monitors, your character will be in the middle and thus on the monitors edges.

What I mean is that one monitor could be used for showing the map, or statistics or something.

Factorio is an awesome PC game, so you have the option to use multiple screens, I think this would be really awesome to utilize.

teenusa
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Multi Monitor support

Post by teenusa »

Such a feature would be awesome!
+1 :D

duskwither
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by duskwither »

Couldn't agree more! +1 ;)

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

ingame option to make GUI popups their own windows, maybe not inventory but power stats, production stats, tech tree, map achievements and anything else that is persistent while you can be moving around the map

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by abordoli »

+1 10char

Indypendence
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Indypendence »

JohnyDL wrote:ingame option to make GUI popups their own windows, maybe not inventory but power stats, production stats, tech tree, map achievements and anything else that is persistent while you can be moving around the map
Powerstats are a bit tricky because you need to be close to a power pole to get it though. But yes, detachable windows, and the map in one such window would be great.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

power stats I think should be like regular production stats in some cases (or at least if you're in had reach of any power pole in the same network) not being able to look at power stats while moving is kinda ridiculous

AntiBlueQuirk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by AntiBlueQuirk »

You know how the devs love debugging obscure v-sync related issues? I'm sure they'd love debugging obscure multi-window related issues too.

Though seriously, this would be a pretty amazing feature. :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=25229 Use of Monitors (Dualscreen..., more than 60 FPS ...)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

Just implement Eve's character-model-off-to-the-side feature.

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by abordoli »

I have found that the "Visual Signals" mod can give you practically anything you need to see from the minutae to the high-level-sr-exectuvie-dashboard. Totally amazed how I played without this.
~B

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

currently game initiates with a single window, which fills a single screen in full screen mode.

Secondary window (or screen) initialisation would be a cool option. The problem is, what SHOULD it show you? if you do such a thing, it needs to show you SOMETHING at all times, but what should that something be?
The map?
Inventory and crafting screens?

I'm not against such a thing, in fact I would love to see it, but it does require an element of design. you can't just say "Put something on my second monitor".
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by abordoli »

One could make what's off to the side configurable and programmable like the virtual screen in Space Engineers. I have snapshots that I can share from my steam snapshot library (or you can go see them under "abordoli).

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

A great idea.
Displays like production, electric stats, map view, train overview are perfect for being put inside their own sub window which could be moved freely inside and outside the parent window. Gimp is a good example of doing this right.

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by abordoli »

Playing Devil's Advocate Here: Although it would be "nice", how many users really play on two monitors.

Playing ___)'s Advocate here: Not sure, but if it were made it could resort to more users adding a second monitor source (If their device has an output as some slimmer devices do not).

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

The only reason why I don't have multimonitor is because there's not enough desk space. I do sometimes plug my TV into my PC though and use that as a second screen.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by abordoli »

I feel that a c0ol compromise would be a highly configurable RSS feed that sends data to a phone/handheld app specifically sessioned with your game.

chridder
Inserter
Inserter

Post by chridder »

I don't like the idea of RSS feed.

But I really like the idea of using a second monitor for specific GUIs, especially the map view would be great for me, as I have a large alien base nearby preparing to attack me (bringing many biters together at one place). But while I am still in preparation to survive the attack and be ready for a strike back, I am far away from the front line. Would be great if I could keep an eye on it on a 2nd monitor while building my factory somewhere else. I know, there is the alert stuff, but I often oversee it and for some reason I don't know, I get no sound alert.

Anyway, even with sound I get the alert only, when the attack already started. With an eye on the map I might recognize earlier that they start moving to my base.

Also, the production view could be great as a permanent open UI on a 2nd monitor, to keep an eye on power consumption, especially important when using laser turrets as defense.

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by abordoli »

chridder wrote:I don't like the idea of RSS feed.

But I really like the idea of using a second monitor for specific GUIs, especially the map view would be great for me, as I have a large alien base nearby preparing to attack me (bringing many biters together at one place). But while I am still in preparation to survive the attack and be ready for a strike back, I am far away from the front line. Would be great if I could keep an eye on it on a 2nd monitor while building my factory somewhere else. I know, there is the alert stuff, but I often oversee it and for some reason I don't know, I get no sound alert.

Anyway, even with sound I get the alert only, when the attack already started. With an eye on the map I might recognize earlier that they start moving to my base.

Also, the production view could be great as a permanent open UI on a 2nd monitor, to keep an eye on power consumption, especially important when using laser turrets as defense.
One workaround for keeping an eye on that frontline, could be another PC with the game running in MP mode with that other user view on that area.

DM me for details as it's not as expensive (or even difficult) a proposition as it sounds.
~B

chridder
Inserter
Inserter

Post by chridder »

abordoli wrote:
One workaround for keeping an eye on that frontline, could be another PC with the game running in MP mode with that other user view on that area.

DM me for details as it's not as expensive (or even difficult) a proposition as it sounds.
~B
Thanks for that hint... nice idea. I have no 2nd PC available and honestly not willing to setup another one. And I still can live with Factorio as it is with just single monitor support... but would be nice to have multi monitor support ingame for convinience.

Anyway, maybe others might want to follow your tipp :)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”