what the point researching robot speed ? (infinite research)

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

what the point researching robot speed ? (infinite research)

Post by Hellatze »

i wish to have electric capacity on robots, or cargo capacity.

fast robotic seems useless.

Mr. Mechanic
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: what the point researching robot speed ? (infinite research)

Post by Mr. Mechanic »

Why don't you post these kind of things in the 'Ideas and Suggestions' board? That's what it is for.

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by British_Petroleum »

This isn't a suggestion, it's a question about the game. Faster robots means you can transport more resources faster with fewer bots, also construction bots build faster. This is the best infinite research imo

greep
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by greep »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but higher speed basically IS electric capacity, in a linear relationship even. If a robot had 10% battery left until it needed to recharge, it can move up to X distance based on speed. However, at 2x speed, X here is doubled. So it is as if you had 20% battery left, with the added benefit of having gotten there faster. This is assuming battery cost is dependent on time in flight and not movement.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

greep, robots consume energy per time AND per movement length. Robots will always consume the same energy for a length, regardless of movement speed. The only "saving" with speed is that the bot isn't as long in the air, but that's a small part of energy consumation of bots.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Kazuar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kazuar »

The point of robot speed research is to make robots move faster. If you feel that they're fast enough, don't research it. Alas, since a player can easily outrun the construction robots sent from his own roboport, faster robot movement is quite useful.

Also, faster movement means less time per full trip, which means more trips per minute per robot.
[Note: I'm actually sorry if my posts come off as rude; english is not my native language, and I'm not aware of all it's nuances. Please do point out my misadoptions in tone!]

Marza
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Marza »

Throughput!
Kazuar wrote:Also, faster movement means less time per full trip, which means more trips per minute per robot.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

Due to the whole thing where robot energy use is based almost entirely on distance travelled the main advantage is reduced latency - stuff is delivered quick. You also get more work out of bots, since they can spend less time hauling and more time charging. You still need to provide just as many charging ports because even though you need fewer bots they have to work super hard.

Selvek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Selvek »

The point of robot speed is so you can run around your base at full speed and still get logistic deliveries without worrying about having to wait for the bots to catch up with you :)

Return to “General discussion”