Gimmicks Of Tomorrow: Radar Station

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Gimmicks Of Tomorrow: Radar Station

Post by GewaltSam »

Today, I present to you a fully self-sufficient Radar Station.

It's designated to scan areas far away from your base. I usually grab a few of these and some cans in the old Landrover, drive a little into the outback behind my shack and put them down right there. If I feel the need, I take some walls and brick the suckers in.

27 solars keep the dishes running at day, eleven accumulators work the night shift. There's a mere minute in the morning where the whole thing needs a break until it's back to full power. Doesn't matter, it'll do the job. You could bring some wire and batteries if you want the 24/7 package.

I added some lasers, if your pesky neighbours won't agree with your version of the Patriot Act.

Transmaniacon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Gimmicks Of Tomorrow: Radar Station

Post by Transmaniacon »

This is a cool idea! I would probably try to find a way to make it symmetrical though, but would biters even bother with these arrays since there is no pollution?

sciencemile
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sciencemile »

I think the tutorial from the Demo said that Biters really hate Radars, but that might have been just flavor text.

muzzy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by muzzy »

sciencemile wrote:I think the tutorial from the Demo said that Biters really hate Radars, but that might have been just flavor text.
I think that was before the pollution system was implemented. I recall biters would randomly attack steam engines, labs and radars.

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

I think they won't attack the radar station generally because it doesn't pollute anything, but i wanted to get sure that no biters headed to one of my bases finds them on the way.
At first, i wanted to build them symmetrical, too, but thats a problem if you wanna use the range of the substation perfectly. There may be a design that covers that, but i haven't found it so far.

R_O_C_K_E_T
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by R_O_C_K_E_T »

For you to be sure you need to check the lua.

--Edit-- Just checked the lua and found it's a low priority.

Hogweed
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hogweed »

Does having more radars together make much of a difference? I guess they continuously scan different areas? Very cool idea! Having a few lasers is a good idea, but also might provoke an otherwise ignored object. I will try it without them and see how it goes. But better make a blueprint first!

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

Hogweed wrote:Does having more radars together make much of a difference? I guess they continuously scan different areas? Very cool idea! Having a few lasers is a good idea, but also might provoke an otherwise ignored object. I will try it without them and see how it goes. But better make a blueprint first!
As it was said in a different thread, radars scan unexplored areas around them, and three radars do it three times as fast. I felt that one radar just needed too much time, and they aren't that expensive; so i don't mind building three of them together. And because of the solar cells they don't even burden my main power network, so I just put them out there and leave them to discover :)

Another nice thing is that they continue to scan old chunks, so you discover new biter nests a lot quicker.

That's my current map with some of the radar stations built around it; maybe that way it's easier to see how big their max range is.

Return to “Show your Creations”