Biomes?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MrPanda
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Biomes?

Post by MrPanda »

So I was playing factorio and it dawned on me that there is just one biome really, just one large open area with trees scattered throughout. I was thinking about it and I thought it would be cool if different biomes were added giving the game a reason to explore and search outside the starting area, now I know that this game is still early development. However with different biomes you could add so many new features. Some examples of biomes along with features that could come with the biomes.

Rain Forest: Lush Green vegetation everywhere giving the game more visual aesthetic, harder to move through though.
-This could bring the possibility for rain, rain could change the alien's hostility making them more likely to attack during rain or vise versa they could hate the rain.
-New roaming aliens making this a dangerous biome as aliens seem to be everywhere.
-Lots of predators that don't stay around their den/home thingy and go out and roam. This makes the player have to stay alert and ready.
-Bugs could add disease.

Snow: This cold snowy biome could add temperature into the factor adding new challenges trying to stay warm.
-New armor/armor upgrades for dealing with freezing temperatures.
-New aliens for killing.
-Seeing a massive yeti thing kill your friend would be hilarious and scary.
-New machines for giving off heat.
-Rich with more end game materials.

Plains: This would be similar to what factorio looks like now.
-Rich with more basic materials.

Desert: Scorching heat with sand dunes.
-The opposite of the snow biome making it too hot to survive without cooling.
-Rich with oil fields
-New aliens for killing.
-Personally I think I would be awesome seeing a small pile of sand and walking up to it and a sand worm or something popping up.
-Again bugs could be added here.

Forest: Heavily scattered with trees. Also similar to what we have in factorio now.
-Rich with basic materials

Ocean: This would be one of my favorite biomes. This really adds a lot of opportunity for new features.
-Boats, self explanatory.
-Bigger boats for transporting goods.
-The ability to swim/dive.
-Massive underwater oil fields where you can drill.
-Submarines, this could be added to help find underwater oil fields faster.
-New aliens for killing.
-Shark like aliens would be dope.

River: Rivers could be hard to cross either because of dangerous aliens or fast sweeping currents.
-Currents within could sweep you far down a river or into aliens in the river.
-New aliens for killing.
-Some aggressive fish like piranhas.
-Dams could be a new source of power.

I love this game but I don't have many friends to play it with... Most of them say I'd get bored of just building. This would add in so much to do into the game along with expanding the building abilities/opportunities. Adding different biomes would definitely make me want to play this game a lot more.

Factory Lobster
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Biomes?

Post by Factory Lobster »

I've seen a lot of similar ideas. Not sure what the official stance is, but both the developers and the vets appear to have a visceral aversion to ideas that come too close to minecraft.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Environmental physics would certainly make Factorio more interesting in my opinion. Temperature could affect performance of machines and player and exceeding the limits would make damage. Extreme conditions would need protection, cooling and heating. There could also be interesting mechanics with weather, humidity etc. varying environmental conditions.

However, the game is now practically in the final polishing phase and I think it is very improbable to get any large changes in game mechanics. I fear also that great majority of players are more interested to have fixed perfect mathematical production and transport ratios in simple and straightforward production chains instead of active balancing against varying conditions.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

I miss the desert only worlds that you could make pre 0.13 by setting water to starting area only. The biomes to me are too small (so they aren't really biomes) and are too bias towards "green fields".
It would be better if you could get massive oceans, deserts, red desert (still yet to see in any large amount btw) etc.

There is the "Alien biomes" mod that adds in a bunch of new biomes, but again, they are too small for them to give you any real feeling that there are climates within the world.

QGamer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by QGamer »

I too would like to see more biomes, and more variation of the terrain.

It is very rare for me to find a large desert, for example. :(

There is a red desert area in my main map, but it is very, very tiny :!: I'd like to see larger biomes, and more variation in them instead of just: green plain with trees. Green plain with no trees. Green plain with trees.

I think the variation in terrain would be interesting to old and new players alike.
"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to the other Biomes
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=342#p133677 Events (Environmental Disasters and Weather) / Biome-Types

Btw.: This is thread number 50,000. If we continue in that tempo we'll reach 100,000 in under 2 years.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Hacohe
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

More Biomes

Post by Hacohe »

TL;DR
Can we have more biomes added to the game with more versions of biters that have status effects, please?

What ?
I was looking through the mods and have yet to find any functioning mod that adds new biomes. Could you imagine a "lava land" that the biters have embers coming off of them and lava piping technology is required in order to manage any system in lava land? Perhaps an ice land which requires more heat to melt the ice so the pump can even pump water to begin with while having biters that can swim. These biomes could appear further out from the spawn so that new players can catch on to the game before moving outward, while at the same time, become more difficult so much so that white science may be necessary. Imagine being able to make coolant systems or unique versions of existing structures just to play in an area of the game which has such a low survival rate if necessary gear isn't obtained, that greifers wouldn't even be able to touch your super base.
Why ?
More content for both old and new players without overwhelming the new player, as the content starts after the game would normally end.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: More Biomes

Post by eradicator »

Did you try maybe search the mod portal for "biome"? For example there's Alien Biomes mod. So far they're mostly visual. So it would be nice if they had gameplay relevant differences. Also red-desert got added and does generates only far out s as you suggested. Also i'm not sure how many spare artists wube currently has for making more hd terrain textures :D.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Hacohe
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: More Biomes

Post by Hacohe »

eradicator wrote:Did you try maybe search the mod portal for "biome"? For example there's Alien Biomes mod. So far they're mostly visual. So it would be nice if they had gameplay relevant differences. Also red-desert got added and does generates only far out s as you suggested. Also i'm not sure how many spare artists wube currently has for making more hd terrain textures :D.
Thank you. I didn't find this before when searching for it.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged topics
Hacohe wrote:Thank you. I didn't find this before when searching for it.
Try the "search" function with the word biome :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”