Massive FPS drops when trees are on screen

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Sonicjosh
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Massive FPS drops when trees are on screen

Post by Sonicjosh »

In the last several updates of 0.15.x (I'm sorry, I don't remember which particular one the issue started happening, only that it was after .15.9) I've had an issue where if I go near trees my FPS drops from 60 to single digits, as low as 2, at this speed it is very unresponsive and as much as a tap on WASD in the map view can move the camera a whole screen over. If it makes a difference, all this happens with me being connected to a server, I don't generally play single player.

Details of my computer:
  • Currently running Factorio 0.15.21
  • AMD Radeon HD 7870 with up to date drivers
  • AMD FX 8350
  • Current graphics settings
Here the game is in normal operation, full speed, 60 FPS:

This is looking at trees in the map view, note the GPU load spike and 2FPS:

Fewer trees on screen = more FPS, still way too low though, GPU still maxed out, note that this one isn't in map view:

It may be worth noting that I also get poor performance with smoke, but I turned that off long ago and it never bugged me again. I also have tried toggling "Enable tree sprite mipmaps" and restarting, but it made no difference.

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Massive FPS drops when trees are on screen

Post by mp0011 »

See my post: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=49621&p=289035#p288142
and reduce Atlas Size. Maybe it's some bug with Radeon Drivers...?

Sonicjosh
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Massive FPS drops when trees are on screen

Post by Sonicjosh »

mp0011 wrote:See my post: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=49621&p=289035#p288142
and reduce Atlas Size. Maybe it's some bug with Radeon Drivers...?
I reduced it down from largest possible to 2048 and my issues are gone! Thanks a bunch!

Now I can actually go after the aliens without having to be so zoomed in, it'll be so much easier.

Return to “Technical Help”