Burner inserter fuel bonus

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

AvalonSpire
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Burner Inserters and Rocket Fuel

Post by AvalonSpire »

Burner Inserters should be the fastest inserter if loaded with more energetic fuel types like rocket fuel. Aliens would come for miles to try to destroy it but it should be the fastest. :D

TheVeteraNoob
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Burner Inserters and Rocket Fuel

Post by TheVeteraNoob »

Cons: Requires rewriting the way inseters work.
Pros: freaking amazing

AvalonSpire
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AvalonSpire »

TheVeteraNoob wrote:Cons: Requires rewriting the way inseters work.
Pros: freaking amazing
Yeah!

In a side vein it might be a fun idea to also allow all machines, including electrically powered inserters to be "overpowered" at the cost of them slowly destroying themselves (requiring replacement/repair). This would allow for amazing feats of production at the cost of slowly destroying your base. Repair costs and electricity/fuel consumption would go up.

roberwt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by roberwt »

Great idea! Although it sounds more like a mod idea, I would really like to see this is vanilla because there will be a good reason to use burner inserters again

Factory Lobster
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Factory Lobster »

Considering how much solid fuel it would take to do any kind of scaling with this, I doubt enough oil production would be possible in any map to meet that demand.

Roxor128
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Roxor128 »

I'm now having the mental image of a burner inserter running normal, fast, really fast, then a small explosion and the arm going flying across the landscape after putting in rocket fuel.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

*mental image of a windmilling burner inserter slowly lifting off...* :mrgreen:

Factory Lobster
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Factory Lobster »

If you really want faster, more expensive inserters then I'd suggest another kind of inserter technology altogether. It doesn't make sense for these awkward, mechanical non-lubricated arms to be moving perfectly at lightning speed. There should be a more streamlined device that moves more product (faster) than a stack inserter, call it something different (an injector?) and that uses more energy and can run on solid/rocket fuel.

BlackKnight
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BlackKnight »

Factory Lobster wrote:If you really want faster, more expensive inserters then I'd suggest another kind of inserter technology altogether. It doesn't make sense for these awkward, mechanical non-lubricated arms to be moving perfectly at lightning speed. There should be a more streamlined device that moves more product (faster) than a stack inserter, call it something different (an injector?) and that uses more energy and can run on solid/rocket fuel.
Agreed, this ultimately would make more sense. Currently there is the draft of this in the game editor without proper graphic.. although mods exist with a finalized format. Would be great if this was officially implemented in vanilla!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Aeternus wrote:*mental image of a windmilling burner inserter slowly lifting off...* :mrgreen:
Add inserter here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSENH3FE2As
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

PetWolverine
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PetWolverine »

Factory Lobster wrote:It doesn't make sense for these awkward, mechanical non-lubricated arms to be moving perfectly at lightning speed. There should be a more streamlined device that moves more product (faster) than a stack inserter
How about a Heap Inserter that requires lubricant to make? They should swing more slowly (log time rather than constant) but move potentially huge amounts of stuff, and more than one type at a time.

Also, picking up a Stack Inserter that's holding items makes a nice little stack dump, but picking up a Heap Inserter should cause its items to go all over the place and make a total mess of things.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

AvalonSpire wrote: In a side vein it might be a fun idea to also allow all machines, including electrically powered inserters to be "overpowered" at the cost of them slowly destroying themselves (requiring replacement/repair).
Pipe in some lubricant to stop/slow the damage and/or overclock them further :mrgreen: More seriously, the car shredder I worked on in real life had recirculating oil bearing systems that were quite big, and if a pump on one of those failed, it is hard to shut it down without damaging the associated bearing, in part because it takes it nearly half an hour to get from its normal 596rpm idling speed (around 550-560rpm while shredding) to nil when it isn't shredding anything. Turning it off and shredding is in the manual for a situation where you have a hammer or disk cap come loose because it's a minimum quarter-million dollar repair bill if one of those gets between a rotor disk and the cutter bar to stop it in one blood-curdling bang, but in the event of a bearing oil failure, you don't want to shred anything because the stress of doing so is why the bearings need those fancy oil pumps in the first place.
Roxor128 wrote:I'm now having the mental image of a burner inserter running normal, fast, really fast, then a small explosion and the arm going flying across the landscape after putting in rocket fuel.
Guy walks into the middle of a biter hive on top of the uranium patch he needs for making nukes. Places burner inserter. Inserts rocket fuel. Reloads after installing Long Reach. Walks away to safe distance then inserts rocket fuel. Biter hive destroyed. Now can make nukes. Vanilla version: Places burner inserter unfueled. Places an adjacent burner inserter facing it, one coal. Places another burner inserter two tiles away, one coal. Places another burner inserter two more tiles away, one coal. Repeats until safe distance. Z-drops rocket fuel for last inserter placed to pick up and hand it to the next, so it keeps going into the biter base bucket brigade style. Bzzt, bzzt, bzzt, bzzt, bzzt, bzzt, boom. Biter hive destroyed, now can make nukes. Better vanilla version: Places burner inserter unfueled. Places transport belt facing it. Walks to safe distance while placing transport belt behind him. Z-drops rocket fuel on transport belt. Burner inserter fuels itself. Biter hive destroyed, now can make nukes.

I am such an ass, lol!

What about a nuclear powered burner inserter?

N35t0r
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Burner inserter fuel bonus

Post by N35t0r »

TL;DR
Have burner inserters work faster with more advanced fuel types

What?
Currently burner inserters can only pull stuff from non-yellow belts if they are backed up. It would be interesting if, provided they be fueled with solid fuel or rocket fuel, they would speed up enough to be able to pick up items from moving red and blue belts, respectively.
Why ?
Currently burner inserters have a very niche use outside of the early game. Basically, situations where you want to move items and don't want to rely on electricity, either to avoid laying the poles (feeding a long wall of gun turrets with ammo can be done with only one half ammo half fuel belt), or to keep the system working with no electricity (feeding fuel to the boilers).

This change would allow some more flexibility in design, as well as giving burner inserters some more use outside the very early game.

traycer
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Burner inserter fuel bonus

Post by traycer »

Not to mention that this parallels the existing mechanic with fuel type affecting speed and acceleration in vehicles.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I'd dig more entities making use of the speed boost on advanced fuels.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

That would totally make sense
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

wpirobotbuilder
Inserter
Inserter

Post by wpirobotbuilder »

Rocket-fueled burner inserters sounds amazing. +1

On top of that, I'd also support a mining speed bonus for burner mining drills with solid/rocket fuel

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Rocket-furnaces, ROCKET-FURNACES! :!:

wpirobotbuilder
Inserter
Inserter

Post by wpirobotbuilder »

darkfrei wrote:Rocket-furnaces, ROCKET-FURNACES! :!:
oooo that's a good idea! Stone and Steel furnace speed bonuses depending on the fuel type!

I'd love to see a late-game setup which is entirely steel-furnace based, powered by rocket fuel. If rocket fuel increases smelting speed by 100%, that puts them on par with electric furnaces with speed modules.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

wpirobotbuilder wrote: oooo that's a good idea! Stone and Steel furnace speed bonuses depending on the fuel type!
One tie I've played multiplayer game and set up some productions line withe feeding /any/ fuel, like wood-poles, wood, wood-chests, coal, solid fuel and rocket-fuel. And the admin is says: Why are you doing rocket-furnaces? In this time there wasn't any fuel bounces, so, why not now?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”