Add-ons to existing buildings

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Add-ons to existing buildings

Post by Artman40 »

I was thinking that it would be nice when in late game you could research an ability to add smaller auxiliary structures next to existing buildings.
So here's a very crude representation of what I'm thinking of:

So an add-on building would add a bonus to the building it's attached to. Thr bonuses would come in two tiers: the first one available from the start and the second one would be something that has to be chosen from two available options after some additional research.

For an example, in this picture there's something attached to assembling machine. The initial bonus that it could give is an additional slot for a module. Then after some research you could choose whether this assembling machine should be able to craft two products simultaneously (so basically now it acts like two assembling machines) or if it could be used to make very advanced products that require 5 or more ingredients to make. This also means that both choices would be useful depending on situation.

Similar add-ons would be also good for buildings like oil refineries, robo ports, chemical plants and so on.

I think this idea would add more depth and complexity in the late and very late game.

Chthon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Add-ons to existing buildings

Post by Chthon »

I'm not too clear on what you can do in this vein very effectively. Beacons right now already confer module effects to nearby machines, though at reduced effect. However this means adding module slots is probably out. You also want to avoid adding module effects as well as this would also cross that line. So adding production speed, reducing power (and possibly pollution as that is a side effect of power), and making serial outputs is ruled out.

What else would you want to do with it? What other functions could you need here.

Personally, I find it weird that automated construction buildings suddenly gain fluid entry points when you select certain recipes. Perhaps instead you could build an addon for that, but that is replacing an already existing feature with something more complex. Not many would go for it, even if it made sense. How about late game ability for it to produce one simple (one input slot) intermediary product. E.G. add it to an electronic circuit fab to take copper plates and make wires for it. I'd rather have it late game though, and possibly not as fast as normally possible, but it's an idea.

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Artman40 »

For an example, maybe an add-on for robo ports would increase its range of effect or add-on for oil refinery would help to either increase its productivity or add an ability to extract a new product from oil.

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

Isnt everything is already an addon to everything?

because if you consider your factory that makes science pack - it is made of multiple addons each working together at once. And even on small scale you have beacons and modules.

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Artman40 »

Basically, they're would be another type of add-on so if you want to produce even more or hard-to-make stuff in very late game, you have to make your buildings bigger in that way. That would also add an extra layer for planning the whole factory.

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

But what for? I mean you can always expand your base...or build it differently.

Whats the point?

Chthon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Chthon »

And as I said, you would have to come up with a good reason for the differentiation :)

The truth is, it is very similar to the module system. It should be able to do something the module system cannot do to be worthwhile.

I still think my idea of allowing it to feed in basic, one ingredient, products into the main facility allowing you to skip a step, would be interesting. However I think it should only exist as late tech, as a reward for getting that far and preparing you for things to come.

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Artman40 »

Now I just added an example what an assembly machine would do. For an example, add-on of robot port would increase its range of influence, add-on to oil refiery would increase its output in some way (for an example, getting sulfur out of crude oil and the rest would still be useful for making plastic etc.). And of course, assembly machines can only assemble items with 4 basic ingredients at the moment. Modules cannot do any of this.

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

If these are needed they could be added in form of modules anyhow thats what we are saying.

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Artman40 »

I know but add-ons would add variety and could be used for only buildings they're meant for as opposed to modules that are for generic use.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”