Replace the splitter with simpler unit operations

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

DrNoid
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Replace the splitter with simpler unit operations

Post by DrNoid »

I have not seen any technical problems that can not be not solved with the simpler unit operations, outside of the one already mentioned above. But for that one we don't need 3 levels of the same splitter. One version of the current splitter, with the speed of the third and the cost of the second would be plenty.

All other "problems" are not technical in nature and thus not "problems" but opinions.

Of course the fact that there is a splitter-topic every week is (in my opinion) yet another indication that there are issues with the current splitter...

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

DrNoid wrote:Of course the fact that there is a splitter-topic every week is (in my opinion) yet another indication that there are issues with the current splitter...
Agreed, but I repeat: There is little to no chance, that this will be fixed within the next 3 month and a solution won't bring real new gameplay. It solves a need which in most cases younger players think about, but when asked some month later the most say: "I was wrong". So a new item of that direction will only reduce the number of suggestions about it. :)

So my (unproven) thesis, because of watching this forum very carefully. :geek:

But well, again, to let that make cristal clear: In general I'm with you, I suggested mods and making the current splitter more modable. That has just this reason.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

Thing is, I would've given you the benefit of the doubt, if your suggestion provided painless replacement to the current system (as in it is capable of doing everything current system can). Simply because yes new people have trouble understanding splitters. (perhaps not because they are complex but because they aren't properly explained in the tutorial / tooltip)

Your suggestion, however, simply required to add additional two items to the current design that are already completely replaceable. The tools you have proposed are simply not needed while current splitter exists. Only benefit they give is making a bit smaller and simpler very small fraction of what belts currently do. And as it stands it is a waste of developer time in the proposed form.

Come up with solution that doesnt break current capabilities and that one would actually have a chance IMHO.

chlue
Inserter
Inserter

Post by chlue »

One can still say for sure that it is not worth the effort, but what about adding operating modes which are selectable when the splitter is clicked (similar to a smart inserter)

The sub-menu could provide the following modes:
- lane splitter (left lane goes to left side of left output, right lane goes to right side of right output) --> to split a mixed belt without the need of smart inserters,...
- reshuffle (distribute incoming items even all all outputs ignoring type) --> for load balancing
- item lane alternator (current behavior) --> for everything else

This would not require any new items (no new graphics, no additional clatter in the inventory,...) and the current splitter 'hardware' is obviously able to already do this, so it would no look too strange. There seem to be no real benefits apart from smaller footprint for certain tasks trough.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

chlue wrote:- lane splitter (left lane goes to left side of left output, right lane goes to right side of right output) --> to split a mixed belt without the need of smart inserters,...
- reshuffle (distribute incoming items even all all outputs ignoring type) --> for load balancing
- item lane alternator (current behavior) --> for everything else
This is of course possible. but if the splitter is so complex, like DrNold said, then this makes it even more complex.

I try to think like a beginner:
Now: Oh, spiitter. Nice. What can I do with it? WTF... Ah, seems to split the input to two belts.
With that change: Oh, splitter. Nice. What can I do with it? Ohhh... fuuuu... it has three functions! WTF111!!!
This would not require any new items (no new graphics, no additional clatter in the inventory,...) and the current splitter 'hardware' is obviously able to already do this, so it would no look too strange. There seem to be no real benefits apart from smaller footprint for certain tasks trough.
Well, those stuff is already suggested many times. It's not so easy...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”