Troubles with rail singals/ chain signals

Smart setups of railway stations, intelligent routing, solutions to complex train-routing problems.
Please provide - only if it makes sense of course - a blueprint of your creation.
Lrbaumard
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Troubles with rail singals/ chain signals

Post by Lrbaumard »

Hi there guys,
I'm focusing more on trains instead of huge lengths of pipe/ belts because its prettier and lets be honest, trains are more fun.
I've been having massive difficulties with multiple trains on same piece of track however and using signals to use this.
At the moment i'm throwing random stops/ chain signals here and there until it works. But what is the actual mechanic to get this to work?
I have 2 scenarios:
1. the cross junction: 2 separate train services using separate track cross over eachother in a cross.
I just randomly threw in signals and stops until NO PATH went away.

2. 2 separate train services using the same portion of some parts of the track, with offshoots for different stops.
Again got it 'working' with the above.

Please: whats the efficient/ best way to use stops/ signals etc.?
Thanks

Shokubai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Troubles with rail singals/ chain signals

Post by Shokubai »

This is kind of a complicated subject so instead of rewriting a lot of stuff Im going to link you some great resources.

Start Here
https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Rail ... l/Tutorial

Then look at this great post for BP's of junctions in Right hand and Left Hand mode.
viewtopic.php?f=194&t=46855

If you have specific problem areas please post a screen grab and Ill be happy to help.

Lrbaumard
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Lrbaumard »

Shokubai wrote:This is kind of a complicated subject so instead of rewriting a lot of stuff Im going to link you some great resources.

Start Here
https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Rail ... l/Tutorial

Then look at this great post for BP's of junctions in Right hand and Left Hand mode.
viewtopic.php?f=194&t=46855

If you have specific problem areas please post a screen grab and Ill be happy to help.
I was trying to use that wiki ingame, but I couldn't manage to figure it out my own (much simpler) usage settings
Will try the second post thanks

edit: these are a lot more complex than my ingame scenarios and i've been playing factorio for years and never needed such complex train systems before

Shokubai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Shokubai »

There is a subtle barrier between complexity and efficiency. Often rail issues stem from trying to create something too simple. Rail in this game simply works best in a well planned environment. It is much easier to create artificial barriers by simply not giving yourself enough space or planning ahead. Although the junctions may look like overkill the result is a system that...just works.

Like I said though. If you have some pictures of areas that are giving you problems I am happy to help diagnose them without prescribing complexity if you prefer to stick with your system.

It occurs to me you are probably letting your trains go both ways on a single track. Make sure your signals are directly opposite each-other anywhere a train CAN go both directions. Use a Chain signal anywhere a train should stop and wait for a path to clear. Take note of the blocks you create with signals and remember only one train may ever be in a single block. You can see rail blocks in game by turning on "show_rail_segments" under F4.

Lrbaumard
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Lrbaumard »

Shokubai wrote:There is a subtle barrier between complexity and efficiency. Often rail issues stem from trying to create something too simple. Rail in this game simply works best in a well planned environment. It is much easier to create artificial barriers by simply not giving yourself enough space or planning ahead. Although the junctions may look like overkill the result is a system that...just works.

Like I said though. If you have some pictures of areas that are giving you problems I am happy to help diagnose them without prescribing complexity if you prefer to stick with your system.

It occurs to me you are probably letting your trains go both ways on a single track. Make sure your signals are directly opposite each-other anywhere a train CAN go both directions. Use a Chain signal anywhere a train should stop and wait for a path to clear. Take note of the blocks you create with signals and remember only one train may ever be in a single block. You can see rail blocks in game by turning on "show_rail_segments" under F4.
Awesome dude thanks, I will take screens when home later, but that f4 feature sounds really helpful

Return to “Railway Setups”