"Boiler run constantly" setting

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Rinin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

"Boiler run constantly" setting

Post by Rinin »

Let the boilers burn fuel constantly (as settings) or allow them be controlled by the circuit network.

It'll create
1 Constant power output for one who want it (it'll looks much simplier on graphs)
2 Burn unused wooden poles / wood chests on solar/nuclear powered bases
3 Burn unwanted byproducts of oil refenery (converted to solid fuel)
4 Automatic pollution!

I found this feature requireable while building "heavy oil from coal" factory. Because organizing sink for all the unused petrolium gas was difficult as hell, and resulted in an enormous power station that could supply my whole base twice and takes a lot of space.

leoch
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: "Boiler run constantly" setting

Post by leoch »

Really strange idea. Less smart boilers would make basic power plants more complex to set up.

You can't "create excess electricity" in the real world; it doesn't work that way. If instead you were constantly creating steam independent of usage, you'd need some radiators or vents to cool/eject the excess steam.

If you just want to get rid of petroleum, use the flare stack mod, or do it the old way and unwanted pump liquid into a steam engine (if that still works).

Rinin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rinin »

Really strange idea. Less smart boilers would make basic power plants more complex to set up.
Possibility to create "Less smart" boilers wouldn't change a thing.
You can't "create excess electricity" in the real world; it doesn't work that way. If instead you were constantly creating steam independent of usage, you'd need some radiators or vents to cool/eject the excess steam.
It's not so high tech and could be omitted IMO. Just like for nuclear reactor. But you are right, it'll not create nice graphs
If you just want to get rid of petroleum, use the flare stack mod, or do it the old way and unwanted pump liquid into a steam engine (if that still works).
Well, I understend position of the developers. Adding such structure as flare stack will encourage other players to use it. And developers are probably don't want it. I'm tried this mod before, but right now I'm playing mostly network vanilla game. And steam engine trick is not working anymore.

I'm actually solved this problem with this setup. But really I don't understand why it's impossible to burn something without purpose.
Attachments
Burners.JPG
Burners.JPG (173.78 KiB) Viewed 3611 times

Mendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mendel »

Have you tried putting a few trains on endless pointless loops with a few refueling stations? Would trains burn things too slowly?
on the other hand you might as well give some of them another purpose too and maybe haul something while burning their fuel :)

another way to go would be a big steam power plant and a power switch or two to turn off your nuclear, solar and accumulators while you need to burn something.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I don't see any use-case in this - besides the problem, that you have too much of something. Which leads us directly to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=21278 Recycling/Disassembling of Waste / Scrap / Trash

I see the need to convert all types of energy in items into any other. Keywords are coal liquification, wood gas, carecoal, Bergious process, and so many more.

There are more than half a dozen mods around this... :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OdinYggd »

leoch wrote:Really strange idea. Less smart boilers would make basic power plants more complex to set up.

Compromise would be to implement boiler heat losses. A real life boiler consumes token amounts of fuel to keep up steam when standing by with the engine stopped. Similarly, heat losses could be considered on the tanks- steam slowly is lost from them at a slight but non-trivial rate.

So make the boiler consume fuel at a minimum rate of 1/25th the consumption at maximum steam output. Like so the boilers will always sip some fuel, adding a touch of realism, and allowing them to be utilized for trash incineration purposes.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”