[MOD 0.13.17+] Rampant

Topics and discussion about specific mods
scatterlogical
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.17+] Rampant - 0.15.11

Post by scatterlogical »

Getting this crash when placing concrete or landfill with Rampant version 0.15.11, Factorio version 0.15.18:

795.501 Error MainLoop.cpp:864: Exception at tick 24195698: Error while running event Rampant::on_player_built_tile (ID 45)
__Rampant__/control.lua:316: attempt to call field 'fillTunnel' (a nil value)

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.17+] Rampant - 0.15.12

Post by Veden »

Forgot to comment out some code. New version should be up with a fix.

scatterlogical
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.17+] Rampant - 0.15.12

Post by scatterlogical »

Thanks for the quick fix. Bit of a spoiler as to what you're working on ;)

Could I make a feature request to include lamps as a safety-able building? I put lamps all along my railways and the little buggers keep chewing them up. I figure that they should be safe too since they prove no threat to the biters.

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.17+] Rampant - 0.15.13

Post by Veden »

scatterlogical wrote:Thanks for the quick fix. Bit of a spoiler as to what you're working on ;)

Could I make a feature request to include lamps as a safety-able building? I put lamps all along my railways and the little buggers keep chewing them up. I figure that they should be safe too since they prove no threat to the biters.
The newest version should have this added to it.

It is a mechanism for using landfill to fill in the tunnels instead of destroying them with bullets.

I have been working on the base expansion stuff, I just had merged in a branch that contained more than just the base changes I was making.

This is a very brief summary of some of the information I posted in a different thread.
Veden wrote:viewtopic.php?f=33&t=37652

Had some good ideas with this theme in mind.

I'm currently working on making a combination of what you are proposing and the above post.

The map.png is an in-progress screen capture of biter nest main cluster spacing. Showing that the further from the origin the default base size gets larger.
the red circle is shown in the picture after the map.png
The green lines represent tendrils of nests that will reach out toward resource patches to put a type of mining colony (not planning on any resources being used up) create a network for bonus and have clusters merge.

This is an enlargement of the top left red circle in map.png.
I have added spacing in-between nests themselves to prevent the pathing issues that currently plague the vanilla perlin-noise approach.
Each base is generated on the fly.
The green circle is the hive, multiple hives can exist in a cluster. If all of the hives are killed the cluster stops growing.
The red circles I'm thinking are going to be specialty structures that when destroyed removes some of the bonuses or special units.

Since there isn't an easy way to make adaptive global modifiers, I was thinking of just making lots of varying prototypes that can be swapped in to give the effect you are expecting.

Hugger
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hugger »

Can anyone describe effect of Use Custom AI option? Is it safe to activate or that parameter is still in early development?

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

The custom AI option is pre-alpha in development. It was easier to integrate it as just an option as opposed to maintain a separate code branch while I built the functionality.

The pictures in the post just before yours was me starting to describe some of the functionality that the custom ai will use.

Hugger
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hugger »

Veden wrote:The custom AI option is pre-alpha in development. It was easier to integrate it as just an option as opposed to maintain a separate code branch while I built the functionality.

The pictures in the post just before yours was me starting to describe some of the functionality that the custom ai will use.
Thanks for the quick response

scatterlogical
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by scatterlogical »

Thanks so much for the safe lamps! New stuff sounds interesting - keep up the good work :)

Don
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Don »

Question it says in game that the four dependencies are not optional yet this says different which is correct? i feel like were having an issue in game with them not attacking us when nearby their bases without the 4 dependencies, Thanks
Running on 0.15.16

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

Don wrote:Question it says in game that the four dependencies are not optional yet this says different which is correct? i feel like were having an issue in game with them not attacking us when nearby their bases without the 4 dependencies, Thanks
Running on 0.15.16
Not sure where you are getting that they are required. The in-game mod interface when you click on Rampant has ? in front of all of the dependencies aside from base, which means optional. Plus you mention you are able to play without the dependencies, but were getting unexpected behavior.

What is your evolution at?
Do you have other mods installed?
Have you played Rampant before and behavior has changed from the past experience?
Is peaceful mode on?
When you say attacking you, do you mean that they don't form attack groups or they don't hunt the player or something else?

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Hi Veden,

Is changing some of the 'dumb' projectiles back to 'projectile' entities still something you're considering?

I made a Rampant - Walls Block Spitters compatibility mod (https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Earendel ... rojectiles) which seems to do the job, but it's done in a procedural way so obviously it would be better if the changes were built in to Rampant. You're welcome to use any of the code from Rampant-Blockable-Projectiles mod.

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

Earendel wrote:Hi Veden,

Is changing some of the 'dumb' projectiles back to 'projectile' entities still something you're considering?

I made a Rampant - Walls Block Spitters compatibility mod (https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Earendel ... rojectiles) which seems to do the job, but it's done in a procedural way so obviously it would be better if the changes were built in to Rampant. You're welcome to use any of the code from Rampant-Blockable-Projectiles mod.
HI Earendel,

Yes, that was one of the few things left to implement on the todo list.

I had seen that and gave it a try, seems to work well.
I don't know if I will be using any code, but gives me a good reference to what needs to be set for the projectiles.

I was thinking that some of the bigger spitters would still bypass the walls.

Thank you for looking into that.

Don
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Don »

Don wrote:
Question it says in game that the four dependencies are not optional yet this says different which is correct? i feel like were having an issue in game with them not attacking us when nearby their bases without the 4 dependencies, Thanks
Running on 0.15.16

Not sure where you are getting that they are required. The in-game mod interface when you click on Rampant has ? in front of all of the dependencies aside from base, which means optional. Plus you mention you are able to play without the dependencies, but were getting unexpected behavior.

What is your evolution at?
Do you have other mods installed?
Have you played Rampant before and behavior has changed from the past experience?
Is peaceful mode on?
When you say attacking you, do you mean that they don't form attack groups or they don't hunt the player or something else?

Upon further investigation we concluded they were aware of us there by the base they were just waiting for us to run into worm range before actually coming to attack us
and as far as the dependencies in game under the mods where you toggle them on or off it lists those 4 mods a dependencies in Red writing under 13.7 version so we didn't realise the ? in front means optional got a little confused there due to red writing thought it was required

Skeleton Man
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Skeleton Man »

underground enemies appear to be extremely flawed
"The ground begins to shake" message appears but no additional enemies seem to attack. Now I'm trying to build on the outer perimeter of my defenses, but keep getting a "construction interrupted by enemy forces" message. After spamming the walls on the spot enough, random small enemies start popping out of the ground which are promptly shredded by a wall made for behemoths (91.69% evolution at this time).

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

Skeleton Man wrote:underground enemies appear to be extremely flawed
"The ground begins to shake" message appears but no additional enemies seem to attack. Now I'm trying to build on the outer perimeter of my defenses, but keep getting a "construction interrupted by enemy forces" message. After spamming the walls on the spot enough, random small enemies start popping out of the ground which are promptly shredded by a wall made for behemoths (91.69% evolution at this time).
Rampant doesn't have any underground enemies yet, I have code for them but nothing has been implemented in the game to make them appear.

"The ground begins to shake" is supposed to be the start of large attack waves coming in. Usually this is triggered by a recycling biters event. Sometimes the message fires and a large attack wave isn't possible because not enough nests are covered with pollution.

I have no clue what the "construction interrupted by enemy forces" message is about.

What is your mod list?

Skeleton Man
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Skeleton Man »

Veden wrote: Rampant doesn't have any underground enemies yet, I have code for them but nothing has been implemented in the game to make them appear.
"The ground begins to shake" is supposed to be the start of large attack waves coming in. Usually this is triggered by a recycling biters event. Sometimes the message fires and a large attack wave isn't possible because not enough nests are covered with pollution.
I have no clue what the "construction interrupted by enemy forces" message is about.
What is your mod list?
mostly AAI vehicles and rampant among some other quality of life things

I have rampant set to maximum attack wave size possible just to see what would happen but the biters not spawning from newly made nests issue had stopped most of that mid game. Now most enemies seem to be idling around their nests or in large groups just outside all my turret ranges on every front, either because they're trying to form an impossibly large attack wave or because there's too many bugs that are "attacking" by being invisible outside my walls and only showing up if they're forced out by trying to build something on top of them.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Man, I'm about to give up on another game. I'm at about 60% evolution and my defenses just can't stand the current waves coming in.

I'm playing with the difficulty at 2 and attack waves at night + day/night extender.
Everything seemed okay, but since going over the 60% evolution factor the enemies are just too strong for my current defenses and I don't have time to fix them before I get over run.

I love this!

I's so much fun to have a challenge.
I took things too easy and thought I had it under control. I have to play a little faster in my next game and invest more in defenses and defensive research. I did do this already, but will have to do it even more. Back to the drawing board....

I just love how they form raiding parties.
Thanks for this wonderful mod!

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

Skeleton Man wrote: I have rampant set to maximum attack wave size possible just to see what would happen but the biters not spawning from newly made nests issue had stopped most of that mid game. Now most enemies seem to be idling around their nests or in large groups just outside all my turret ranges on every front, either because they're trying to form an impossibly large attack wave or because there's too many bugs that are "attacking" by being invisible outside my walls and only showing up if they're forced out by trying to build something on top of them.
I would have to see your save for me to provide any useful information about what you are seeing.

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

TheSAguy wrote:Man, I'm about to give up on another game. I'm at about 60% evolution and my defenses just can't stand the current waves coming in.

I'm playing with the difficulty at 2 and attack waves at night + day/night extender.
Everything seemed okay, but since going over the 60% evolution factor the enemies are just too strong for my current defenses and I don't have time to fix them before I get over run.

I love this!

I's so much fun to have a challenge.
I took things too easy and thought I had it under control. I have to play a little faster in my next game and invest more in defenses and defensive research. I did do this already, but will have to do it even more. Back to the drawing board....

I just love how they form raiding parties.
Thanks for this wonderful mod!
Glad you are enjoying it. If you have any feedback, please let me know.

Skeleton Man
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Skeleton Man »

Veden wrote: I would have to see your save for me to provide any useful information about what you are seeing.
I'll have to upload it later it might be due to something else. For now killing enemies in a small radius with a console command seems to get rid of them.

Return to “Mods”