Stop Blueprints escaping their Books

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

whitecold
Inserter
Inserter

Stop Blueprints escaping their Books

Post by whitecold »

TL;DR
Blueprints in a book should always stay there
Slightly Longer
Blueprint Books are useful, however I rarely scroll though them, instead I open them, and just select what I need. This ends up however with the blueprints ending up in my inventory, instead of back in the book.
I'd like to change it that blueprints return to their book when you cancel them/are finished with them. The only way blueprints should end up in your inventory is if you drag/drop them there.

Zool
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Stop Blueprints escaping their Books

Post by Zool »

+1

Shokubai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Shokubai »

ditto

VFaalcatnodriiro
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by VFaalcatnodriiro »

yes please

Selvek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Selvek »

+1

quadrox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by quadrox »

+1

This was one of the things that keeps bugging me, but when I am about to make a suggestion here I keep forgetting all of those small things. Thanks for reminding me!

NosajDraw
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NosajDraw »

+1

It's bugging me, great suggestion.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

whitecold wrote:Blueprint Books are useful, however I rarely scroll though them, instead I open them, and just select what I need.
Simply put: you're using the book wrong. You're meant to scroll through them. Opening the book is the way of adding or removing blueprints from the book and is not the normal way you select a blueprint to use.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Zool
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zool »

You are of course right that we might be using the books wrong, but even as experienced player, it regulary happens to me, that a couple of blueprints end up alone in the inventory - Making the removal require pressing a button or something like that would make the use much more consistant - especially as most of the blueprints you organise in books are usually meant to be kept for later use, while those that you use temporary rarely make it into a book.

naubol
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by naubol »

+1 would like a way to select the blueprint in the book without scrolling. It's super awkward with large books or if one is using a touchpad.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

+1 Scrolling through a book is way slower than opening it and picking the bp.

osldgoth
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by osldgoth »

Optera wrote:+1 Scrolling through a book is way slower than opening it and picking the bp.
For me, I open the book, find the bp I want, then scroll to it - usually scrolling the wrong way, then either I forget than I'm in the book and just select the bp or close the book and pick it up to use the bp I found. it's really slow, annoying, cumbersome...

NosajDraw
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NosajDraw »

Rseding91 wrote:
whitecold wrote:Blueprint Books are useful, however I rarely scroll though them, instead I open them, and just select what I need.
Simply put: you're using the book wrong. You're meant to scroll through them. Opening the book is the way of adding or removing blueprints from the book and is not the normal way you select a blueprint to use.
I've been playing Factorio on and off since 2014, and the working of Blueprints and books is pretty much a mystery to me, sure I've never sat down at length to try and learn how exactly it works, BUT it says something when I can grasp Factorio game play through just doing it, but can't Blueprint books, the current design is counter intuitive and could be fixed just by switching default behaviours and adding a couple of buttons to make certain actions explicitly selectable.

whitecold
Inserter
Inserter

Post by whitecold »

Rseding91 wrote:
I never use the scrolling, it is always awkward and slow. Last to note is that in .14 I also always used books like this, and there blueprints seemed to return to the book.

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mp0011 »

Integrate Books with the inventory:
If Player have Book in the inventory, new tab appear above regular items. One tab for each book.

Book can be used as nów, with scrolling, but user can also select the tab, and pick BP manually. After use, BP returns to inventory, to the correct tab.

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AileTheAlien »

whitecold wrote:I never use the scrolling, it is always awkward and slow.
I also never use the scrolling (shift+mouse wheel?). It's a really awkward, slow way to get through a blueprint book. It takes a 2D grid of items, and turns it into a 1D list of items. i.e. The time spent navigating through your items is literally squared. IMO the scrolling behaviour of blueprint books should be removed from the game, and that key combination can be used for something more useful.

Aki7
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Aki7 »

I have never considered using a page from a blueprint book to quickly get to my wanted blueprint because I knew it would no longer be in the slot of the book that I originally had it. It would take time to put it back in the same spot. This would make 30 page books a possibility for me, as it takes often far to long to scroll to the page that I want.

tl;dr +1

tamanous
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tamanous »

AileTheAlien wrote:
whitecold wrote:I never use the scrolling, it is always awkward and slow.
I also never use the scrolling (shift+mouse wheel?). It's a really awkward, slow way to get through a blueprint book. It takes a 2D grid of items, and turns it into a 1D list of items. i.e. The time spent navigating through your items is literally squared. IMO the scrolling behaviour of blueprint books should be removed from the game, and that key combination can be used for something more useful.
Thank you for pointing that out.

+1

Selvek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Selvek »

How to select a blueprint from a large book: (I use this technique from a balancer book I downloaded).

1) Open book. Scroll the book window to find the blueprint you want (you are looking through the 2D grid)
2) Use the scroll wheel to quickly scroll through the book. Eventually you will see the yellow square moving through the page of the book, so you know you are close.
3) Now slow down the scrolling and select the actual blueprint you want.
4) Close the book and pick it up to place the blueprint.

Obviously, this design flow is... suboptimal.

As an aside - once the major flaws in blueprint management are fixed, maybe introduce a blueprint folder structure concept? So I can open, e.g.:
Trains/4-lane trains/stations/loading stations/dual ore loading station
Or, perhaps:
Balancers/Blue belt/8 inputs/8:6 balancer

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”