Stuggles with trains

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Reichstein
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Stuggles with trains

Post by Reichstein »

Hello everyone,

In the attachment you can see a picture of my small train setup. But i cant get it to work automaticly. I want train 1 (the one on the right) to follow the red
line but dont hit train 2 if it is in its path on any point where the lines cross. Can anyone tell me where i have to put the lights to control them and not let them bump into each other. Yes i have tried the tutorials but i cant get it to work.
Attachments
Factorio struggles.png
Factorio struggles.png (4.21 MiB) Viewed 2180 times

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Stuggles with trains

Post by BHakluyt »

See if this will help. It works for me. Path/chain signals before crossings and normal/block signals after crossings where long track begins again. Keep in mind "blocks" should be at least the same length as your longest train.
Attachments
TrainSignals.png
TrainSignals.png (1.39 MiB) Viewed 2165 times

iceman_1212
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by iceman_1212 »

Here is a minimal set of signals. We need two chain signals since there are two crossings. The rest can be rail signals. (There are a total of 2 chain signals and 8 rail signals.)

Reichstein
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Reichstein »

thanks it worked :)

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

BHakluyt wrote: Keep in mind "blocks" should be at least the same length as your longest train.
I can see why after a shared block you need to have room for a complete train so a green light means that the train can completely leave the shared block.

However, why does the block size matter for normal (long distance / non crossing) track?

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

vanatteveldt wrote:
BHakluyt wrote: Keep in mind "blocks" should be at least the same length as your longest train.
I can see why after a shared block you need to have room for a complete train so a green light means that the train can completely leave the shared block.

However, why does the block size matter for normal (long distance / non crossing) track?
I guess it actually doesn't matter that much on long straight track. I reckon more or less the same principal applies as in OTTD that you put the signals much closer to each other so that more trains can run closer behind each other/more trains can fit on a track with shorter blocks.

Return to “Gameplay Help”