Science Pack Nodes as Prerequisites

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Science Pack Nodes as Prerequisites

Post by 5thHorseman »

TL;DR
A node with a science pack in it (for example, Advanced Electronics which unlocks Science Pack 3) should be a prerequisite for ALL nodes that use that science pack (for example, Advanced Oil Processing, which needs Science Pack 3 but does not have Advanced Electronics as a prerequisite).
What ?
What it says on the tin, and the tl;dr. But as an example:
Advanced Electronics unlocks Science Pack 3, but that node is not a prerequisite for Advanced Oil Processing, which needs Science Pack 3.
I propose that AE should be a prereq. for AOP, and similarly for all similar tech nodes.
Note: It does not need to be a DIRECT prereq, just the prereq should be somewhere in the tree before the node. For example, Military 2 unlocks the Military Science Pack, but it is not a DIRECT prereq of Cluster Grenade. This is fine, because it IS a prereq of Military 3, which is a prereq of Military 4, which is a prereq of Cluste Grenade.
Why ?
It's confusing to be able to queue research for something when you've not even unlocked the node that contains that science pack, and it's hard to find the science pack node in a vast swath of red nodes in that list on the left.
With my proposal, every green tech tree node will be guaranteed to be achievable, and for every red one you can tell instantly why it's not achievable and what you need to do to unlock and research it.

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Science Pack Nodes as Prerequisites

Post by mp0011 »

I can imagine situation, mod or future update, where You get some Science Packs from another source, eg. from crashed spaceship, so You theoretically may use it, before you can create it...

However, it IS annoying to select research only to find after 15 minutes it is still at 0% because of lack of correct sciencepacks.
Maybe there should be 7 buttons above left science panel, with flasks, to filter out unavailable techs (by user, or automatically, after unlocking technology to make specific science packs)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

In a previous similar topic I had suggested that science packs have their own research to be unlocked. That way, you find very easily how to unlock specific science pack.
[Edit] There it is : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46320

Actually, there are many suggestions around that topic :
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46320
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47945
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45132
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=50045 Filter non-Researchable / Indicate techs with unavailable science packs
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”