Hover Boots!

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Cronie
Inserter
Inserter

Hover Boots!

Post by Cronie »

TL;DR
One word: HOVER BOOTS! (... ok, 2 words)

What ?
OK, one issue I have often when working on belts, especially in my main bus, I get moved around uncontrollably by the belts. This can be frustrating, especially when on concrete or when using exoskeletons since the speed boost combined with the unexpected movement leads me to place belts and items in places that I didn't intend to.

Hover boots would be a an item that could be inserted into armor (maybe 2x2) that would let you "hover" over any belts and you would only move when you use the movement keys. Since you are slightly off the ground, the belts wouldn't move you.

I would suggest a cost of 100 blue chips, or something expensive. Maybe it could be an upgrade to an exoskeleton.
Why ?
WHY do you think it increases the value of Factorio as a game?

Less frustration? more control? and that name ... HOVER BOOTS, MAN!

Thanks for your time :)

Jonathan88
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Hover Boots!

Post by Jonathan88 »

If you look in the map editor, there is already a piece of modular armour equipment called "Belt immunity equipment" which has pretty much the same effect. However, since it isn't in the game yet, I would assume they are still fiddling with it. Perhaps 'HOVER BOOTS™ ' are a good solution to making this seem more realistic. There could be some new graphics and perhaps a small speed boost or... you could be able to walk on water perhaps... ;)
FactoriOh No: when it's accidentally 2am, again

Cronie
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Cronie »

Jonathan88 wrote:If you look in the map editor, there is already a piece of modular armour equipment called "Belt immunity equipment" which has pretty much the same effect. However, since it isn't in the game yet, I would assume they are still fiddling with it. Perhaps 'HOVER BOOTS™ ' are a good solution to making this seem more realistic. There could be some new graphics and perhaps a small speed boost or... you could be able to walk on water perhaps... ;)
Water walking would be a nice touch ... but in a sense of game balance, dont you think it should be slower and not faster?

BlackKnight
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BlackKnight »

If the compromise is that the player is slow - like game start speed slow, the only advantages to the player is a huge ease of life increase so the player can manage equipment without being moved about. I think it could be as simple as a research upgrade to the exo,. perhaps (instead of require another item to be built/use another few slots in the power armor) and should be toggleable via a hotkey.

If it was possible to also fly (slowly) over water, walls and or other machinery, I think this implementation could really take off.

Cronie
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Cronie »

BlackKnight wrote:If the compromise is that the player is slow - like game start speed slow, the only advantages to the player is a huge ease of life increase so the player can manage equipment without being moved about. I think it could be as simple as a research upgrade to the exo,. perhaps (instead of require another item to be built/use another few slots in the power armor) and should be toggleable via a hotkey.

If it was possible to also fly (slowly) over water, walls and or other machinery, I think this implementation could really take off.
Maybe the item would let you move at normal speed over land and 75% speed over water? (By normal, i mean whatever speed you have with exoskeletons)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=22305 Walking on Belts (New Power Armor module)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”